DT Corey Simon now a free agent

Reaction score
It is said that Simon only went for the 16 million type of money because he knew no one would pay him that, and he could stay in Philly (as he states that is the only place he wants to be). But as the guys over at PFT.com wrote, If he wanted to stay that bad, wouldn't it have been better to sign the franchise tender? Well if he is within our price range, then sign him to a one year contract, and make sure we don't get into a situation like Trotter and the Redskins. :|

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the following article, the Packers won't sign Simon. It states:

"In any event, the Packers have decided not to pursue defensive tackle Corey Simon, who was abruptly cast adrift Sunday night by the Philadelphia Eagles. Simon expects to sign a blockbuster contract, but it will be with a team that likes him a lot more than do the Packers."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/aug05/351878.asp

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe TT is being smart. If we could sign him at a decent price, great, but I don't think that will happen. If you give him the big contract and signing bonus he wants, how many key players will we lose next year because we can't afford them as a result. The price is not only the money, but the players you lose. That price would seem to be too great.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simon signed with the Colts and got a $13 million signing bonus.

It could turn out to be the move that puts the Colts over the top and in the Super Bowl, or it could turn out to be another Peerless Price who the Falcons gave $10 million in a signing bonus 2 years ago and then ended up cutting him yesterday because he hasn't performed to the level he was paid. It will be interesting to see how it turns out with Simon. I would have liked Simon, but not for that kind of money. So I'm glad TT didn't sign him and mortgage the future.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Simon signed with the Colts and got a $13 million signing bonus.

It could turn out to be the move that puts the Colts over the top and in the Super Bowl, or it could turn out to be another Peerless Price who the Falcons gave $10 million in a signing bonus 2 years ago and then ended up cutting him yesterday because he hasn't performed to the level he was paid. It will be interesting to see how it turns out with Simon. I would have liked Simon, but not for that kind of money. So I'm glad TT didn't sign him and mortgage the future.

that is quite a bit of money, but with Freeney on the end that d-line should be pretty fierce...seems like a nice combo. Price was definitely overpaid, but to his defense the Falcons run the ball about 75% of the time with Vick behind center.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!!!! How on earth can the colts afford him, Peyton, Edge, and Marvin?!?

Regardless, I like that move by the Colts...exactly what they needed, and I'm glad the Packers won't have to face them 'til the super bowl :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts