Driver should get more recognition

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Mike Vandermause

Packers rookie receiver Greg Jennings had just dropped a pass after getting decked by Atlanta Falcons safety Chris Crocker with a vicious hit over the middle last Saturday night.

When Jennings got to the sidelines, fellow receiver Donald Driver was in his face.

"You would think he would ask me, was I all right?" said Jennings with a smile. "But he was like, you got to tuck (the ball) quicker, you got to tuck it quicker."

Jennings reflected for a moment and added: "That's why our receiving corps is going to be so good, because of the leadership that (Driver) brings. He's always coaching us on the field, off the field, and just giving us advice."

Driver received a contract extension from the Packers during the offseason and will be paid $17 million over the next four years. He will be worth every penny.

Not only is Driver the Packers' go-to receiver, he also serves as a bona fide locker room leader and unofficial assistant coach.

"Every time I come to the sideline, Driver's always in my ear, giving me some words of wisdom, some of his knowledge," said Jennings. "He sees everything. It's great to be out there with someone like that."

What's baffling is that Driver is so valuable, yet so under appreciated in some NFL circles. The Packers know how lucky they are to have the eighth-year receiver in the fold through 2009. But it's amazing how many people outside the organization still question whether Driver is a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

Driver has gone over the 1,000-yard receiving mark three of the past four years, something only eight other receivers in the NFL can claim. He has caught more than 80 passes in back-to-back seasons, something only two other receivers in Packers history have accomplished.

He makes tough catches over the middle. He plays hurt. He has the supreme confidence of quarterback Brett Favre. At 31, when many NFL players are in decline, Driver is getting better.

"My goal is to prove people wrong, show 'em that my career is not over yet, it's pretty much just started," said Driver.

He has been proving people wrong his entire career. He wasn't supposed to make the team when he was drafted in the seventh round in 1999. Driver went on to earn a Pro Bowl berth in 2002, becoming the third-lowest drafted Packer in team history to gain such an honor.

Despite his success, Driver takes nothing for granted. He considers himself on the bubble every training camp and attempts to prove himself all over again.

Driver doesn't ignore his critics. "I take that with me on the field," he said. "I don't block anything out. Every Sunday I've got a chip on my shoulder."

Driver posted an impressive six-catch, 75-yard performance in the first half alone last week against the Falcons, an indication he is headed for another banner season.

Driver said he wants to play nine more years in the NFL. He's in excellent physical shape, and considering his track record, who's to say he couldn't pull it off?

"Maybe I'll get the credit one day after I'm done and retired," he said. "I'll get the credit of being a top receiver in the National Football League."

In the meantime, Driver will keep doing his job, and doing it well.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREAT article, zero...thanks for posting it!

this is what a guy like driver can give us UNlike a TO/Moss type guy. driver understands what it's like to be a leader on a TEAM - something that is lacking these days.

good on ya, driver!! :)

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver is a guy who has made the absolute most of his talent and ability and he might be the most unselfish player on this team. It appears he's always doing something to help someone. A few years ago the Packer played a benefit basketball game at our local high school. The team was made up of mostly end of the roster guys. Driver showed up. He was contracted to show up, he came on his own. He was literally the hit of the game. He was outgoing, talking to people, and it looked as if he had a ball playing this game. He is just a gentleman all the time, and the bottom line is that "he gets it." He understands that life is a lot more about being a good person than being a great athlete. This is a guy whose future beyond football is going to be bright because there is always a place for good person.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should. Driver has been this teams #1 option for 4 years now. Not Javon Walker. Driver was Favre's go to guy and he'll continue to prove why this year. Top 5 for one of the most underrated players in the game today in my opinion.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He should although I would like to see less celebrating after each catch. Act like ya done it before bro!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vandermeuese could've added that Driver has been underappreciated by Packer fans, rather than just people around the league. But this does seem to be changing, finally.

There was one national football publication that ranked Driver as the 27th best receiver in the league this off-season. Very strange. He's at least in the top 15, possibly even top 10.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts