Driver is 9 catches away ...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...from surpassing Sterling Sharpe in all-time receptions as a Packer.

Nine catches from glory - JSOnline

I'm not big on being a fan of jersey numbers, but this guy could very well be the exception. In this day-and-age where the majority of the press hogging prima donnas seem to be receivers, here's a guy that is just the consummate professional.

Takes the pass over the middle when he knows full well he'll get lambasted shortly thereafter. Never a complaint to the press about perceived 'slights' ... the guy just plays ... involved in the community without a ton of bravado necessary... well you get the idea.

Sterling Sharpe was one hell of a receiver, don't get me wrong. If he had a few more years of #4 throwing him the ball in a "West Coast" offense, his numbers could very well have ended up untouchable, but, the guy was a different breed of cat to be sure. Didn't even TRY to endear himself to the fans in Green Bay (and that's his choice), and now he's become largely forgotten except for his face being on an obscure plaque in the Packers HOF.

Driver on the other hand has created something of a Packers legacy for himself, both as a player and a man. Sort of the 'anti-Sharpe' if you will. For this guy's name to be uttered in the same breath with the likes of James Lofton (whom I thought got a bum deal in Green Bay and who was as accomplished as a gentleman as a receiver), is a testimony to Driver himself. We could not ask for a better representative of the Green Bay Packers than Donald Driver.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Way to go Donald! One of my favorite packers to be sure. never liked sharpe all that much, although he did make that one fantastic catch with broken ribs

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe was better than Driver, talent wise.

But I like Donald. Very good player.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe, if he continued playing, would IMHO end up breaking all Rice's records. Best receiver I've ever seen. Should have a ring.
-
Too soon to talk about retiring DD's number. He still has a lot of football left on him.

Members online

Latest posts