Drews contract issues

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think it's weak that I used google to find an article I previously read? Interesting... Would it have pleased you more if I had searched nfl.com?

In fact it was the first thing that popped up when I googled Brees under news.

If you spend time in saints messages boards you will see its split on people and how they feel about his greed.

(1) Yes, it's weak: if you have evidence, simply provide links when you make your assertion (which is exactly what you chastise morningwood for in #9 above).
(2) Understand your search tools: This video nicely explains how and why your Google search results will not be the same as those for others. Don't ask people whether they're familiar with Google when you're obviously not familiar with it yourself.
(3) The fact that you had to use a search tool in order to locate an article suggesting that Brees' image is hurting suggests that his image isn't taking the widespread hit you seem to think it is.
(4) The article you retrieved does not even support your original assertion. As I pointed out above, it contains two anonymous comments on the NFLPA's willingness to defend Brees. (Note, these comments were probably anonymous because nobody really wants to take shots at Brees publicly.)
(5) I don't think message boards are an intelligent place to assess the general feelings of an entire fanbase: You're only looking at the comments of a few dedicated followers and message boards always attract a few nuts. Speaking of which...

What is your problem with Drew Brees?

Magilla

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is quite obvious that Drew Brees is not taking a hit on his image. The fans know how great he is and the majority think he should be oaid as the highest QB in NFL. If not for Alex Smiths psychotic TD run to win the game NO would have been playing in NFC Championship.

Some people mix up the feelings in regard to the bounties in NO with the contract negotiations with Drew Brees. That is ridiculous because they are two different issues. The folks involved in the bounties deserve to get slam dunked because they commited criminal acta. Drew Brees was the best QB in regular season of 2011, has consistently put up stellar numbers and deserves a super fat contract.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You clearly have some sort of not-so-subtle agenda against Brees. I don't get it. Do you feel threatened by him? Did he screw your mother? What's the problem?

Was going to respond to each number until I read this part, for the record I dont think its unbelievable for someone to call an athlete greedy for wanting more money after being offered the biggest contract in nfl history, but attacking someones mother? Really? Not only is it petty it shows you are insecure with your argument with you make it personal.

I hope the mods take a look at your posts closely after that one.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think it is quite obvious that Drew Brees is not taking a hit on his image. The fans know how great he is and the majority think he should be oaid as the highest QB in NFL. If not for Alex Smiths psychotic TD run to win the game NO would have been playing in NFC Championship.

Some people mix up the feelings in regard to the bounties in NO with the contract negotiations with Drew Brees. That is ridiculous because they are two different issues. The folks involved in the bounties deserve to get slam dunked because they commited criminal acta. Drew Brees was the best QB in regular season of 2011, has consistently put up stellar numbers and deserves a super fat contract.

If NO beat the Niners I believe they win the SB. They would have pounded the Giants at home as usual and probably destroyed that NE defense indoors.

The Giants did not want to play New Orleans. They wanted no part of them on the road especially.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to respond to each number until I read this part, for the record I dont think its unbelievable for someone to call an athlete greedy for wanting more money after being offered the biggest contract in nfl history, but attacking someones mother? Really? Not only is it petty it shows you are insecure with your argument with you make it personal.

I hope the mods take a look at your posts closely after that one.

Least magnanimous response to a playful jab ever, ivo. Plus, you used it to dodge the point:

I asked you a question, which you still haven't answered, "What's your problem with Brees?" -It's not like you're negotiating with him. If anything, you should be happy to see him eat up plenty of the Saints cap space since you root for another team. The whole "Brees is greedy" and "Brees is tarnishing his image" line of comments seem driven by animosity for the guy that is out-of-step with any sort of objective evaluation of his character. Weird to hear someone go so far out of their way to dump on a good human being and it seems like the NFL has plenty of more flawed characters to launch a campaign against.

Drawing broad conclusions about an athlete's character on the basis of a rumor concerning his contract negotiations, as you seem to have done here, is particularly obnoxious because:
(1) The rumor was probably leaked in order to rebut NFLPA suggestions that that the Saints weren't negotiating in good faith. No reason to magnify this into some type of condemnation of Brees' character unless you're a tool for the Saints or the NFL. I don't think you're a complete tool.
(2) It's an embarrassment to Packer fans everywhere when one of our own conducts wholesale character assassination on the basis of such a vague rumor. As has been explained numerous times above, there's no way for anyone to evaluate the quality of the Saints' offer without reviewing the entire contract. Makes a poor foundation upon which to draw conclusions about a person's character. The best part is that disgruntled Saints fans might come back around here calling Aaron Rodgers greedy or suggesting that Clay Matthews has tarnished his image the first time their contract negotiations hit a bump. Get a clue.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ivo. Plus, you used it to dodge the point:

I asked you a question, which you still haven't answered, "What's your problem with Brees?" -It's not like you're negotiating with him. If anything, you should be happy to see him eat up plenty of the Saints cap space since you root for another team. The whole "Brees is greedy" and "Brees is tarnishing his image" line of comments seem driven by animosity for the guy that is out-of-step with any sort of objective evaluation of his character. Weird to hear someone go so far out of their way to dump on a good human being and it seems like the NFL has plenty of more flawed characters to launch a campaign against.

Drawing broad conclusions about an athlete's character on the basis of a rumor concerning his contract negotiations, as you seem to have done here, is particularly obnoxious because:
(1) The rumor was probably leaked in order to rebut NFLPA suggestions that that the Saints weren't negotiating in good faith. No reason to magnify this into some type of condemnation of Brees' character unless you're a tool for the Saints or the NFL. I don't think you're a complete tool.
(2) It's an embarrassment to Packer fans everywhere when one of our own conducts wholesale character assassination on the basis of such a vague rumor. As has been explained numerous times above, there's no way for anyone to evaluate the quality of the Saints' offer without reviewing the entire contract. Makes a poor foundation upon which to draw conclusions about a person's character. The best part is that disgruntled Saints fans might come back around here calling Aaron Rodgers greedy or suggesting that Clay Matthews has tarnished his image the first time their contract negotiations hit a bump. Get a clue.

Any opinion of packers comes from friends or personal interaction, since you brought up them.

As far as brees reports have been coming out for months, repeatedly undisputed of his demand for an extra 2 mil a year. Not a single one complaining about the guarantees.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am done editing posts about other peoples mothers..

Next one WILL not be edited but deleted and dealt with

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any opinion of packers comes from friends or personal interaction, since you brought up them.

As far as brees reports have been coming out for months, repeatedly undisputed of his demand for an extra 2 mil a year. Not a single one complaining about the guarantees.

"Still, multiple national reports have come out in recent days saying that the Saints and Brees' agent are not far apart in average salary per season. Garic indicates that the average salary will surpass Peyton Manning's $19.3 million-per-year contract. The real test is how much Brees makes in the first three seasons of the contract and how much guaranteed money is involved. The average is almost secondary."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829a3444/article/drew-brees-contract-progress-in-dispute

And, don't forget that both sides need to learn the decision regarding whether Drew's tag count is one or two. This helps define his value.

I suspect that the people who are upset by the pace of the negotiations simply have limited experience in such matters. They simply don't understand why the two sides can't sit down for a few hours and hammer it out. That sounds nice, but often negotiations need some deadline to force the issue. Ask any experienced litigator and he/she will tell you about the high percentage of cases that settle "on the courthouse steps." It's just the way it is.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't understand what this has to do with our conversation. It doesn't stop Saints fans from accusing certain Packers of greediness at the first specter of a problem in contract negotiations, which is basically what you're doing with Brees. Why set the precedent?

The problems with your reliance on these incomplete reports have been explained above. You either can't read or you've decided to ignore the complex nature of NFL contracts because you keep pointing to these vague rumors as justification for your opinions without addressing this obvious criticism.

The nice thing about free markets is that price of goods and services is determined by what a willing buyer decides to pay a willing seller.

Your posts in this thread smack of flaming and you still haven't explained why you've singled out Brees for criticism. What's the point?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am done editing posts about other peoples mothers..

Next one WILL not be edited but deleted and dealt with

When I apologized to the woman ivo undoubtedly ran crying to after getting picked on in school, I was insulting ivo, not his mother. Cheeky, perhaps, but could you explain how I've insulted his mother there? I mean, you must already be familiar with the tattling...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When I apologized to the woman ivo undoubtedly ran crying to after getting picked on in school, I was insulting ivo, not his mother. Cheeky, perhaps, but could you explain how I've insulted his mother there? I mean, you must already be familiar with the tattling...

got dealt with

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh crap, I just realized the little "rainbow" rating does not mean what I thought it meant. Oh well.

Members online