Dream Super Bowl halftime show

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We all dream on, wishing and wishing our favorite band or musician could play at a halftime show, so what's yours?

I'm an old school kinda guy. Very open minded and will listen to anything from rock and roll to the beats of dance music. But for a Super Bowl, I'm pretty picky on what we consider good shows.

Prince currently holds it for me. Love him or hate him, he sure knows how to play his guitar and his show a couple years back has yet to be topped in my eyes

But for my dream halftime show, I want David Bowie to come out in full 70's form and play 3 songs from the Ziggy Stardust album. Similar to how Prince mashed songs together, I'd like to see Bowie come out singing the song Ziggy Stardust, then go into Hang Onto Yourself, and finish it will Suffragette City. Or if he had to play just one single song, it has to be Suffragette City over everything.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnPd7lzT4g]YouTube - David Bowie - Suffragette city[/ame]

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I think for me, it would be Earth, Wind, & Fire. They are absolutely awesome in concert. It's like they're not even senior citizens. :wink: (Verdine White is in his late fifties - maybe even 60 - but I have seen him perform recently and you'd swear he was thirty, if that.)

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think for me, it would be Earth, Wind, & Fire. They are absolutely awesome in concert. It's like they're not even senior citizens. :wink: (Verdine White is in his late fifties - maybe even 60 - but I have seen him perform recently and you'd swear he was thirty, if that.)

I'm surprised how most of the old rockers can still do it. The Who last year really was good.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
I'm surprised how most of the old rockers can still do it. The Who last year really was good.

Oh man, I have seen a lot of these guys lately (everybody from Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to Kenny Loggins and James Taylor) and it's incredible. They must be using it, because they sure aren't losing it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Kanye West

I think given the resources the Super Bowl provides he could come up with something really special.

Only problems are A) People generally don't like him and B) He curses like a sailor.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As long as he does "The Width of a Circle" and with **** Ronson AND Adrian Belew as guitarists. But yea, I even like later stuff like "Heroes" and "DJ"
Quirky ****, but he's a show to be sure.
A nice second would be Lou Reed. Heroin probably doesn't play as well these days, lol, but Rock "n Roll Animal would work. Or, how about the Talking Heads or The Who.
Lots to pick from in that era.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
They were at the Wisconsin state fair about 5 or 10 years ago, was an unbelievable show.
I listen to "Gratitude" once a week or so, you can't find that kind of energy on a live album anywhere.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I saw a concert on TV for the Rock "n Roll hall of fame recently, Stevie Wonder was smokin' and Simon and Garfunkel were magical. Even Springsteen was awesome if you can ignore his idiot politics.
It's not like football, you don't get pounded down by the years in music. I liked the show this year, but the music suuuuuuuuked.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
They were at the Wisconsin state fair about 5 or 10 years ago, was an unbelievable show.
I listen to "Gratitude" once a week or so, you can't find that kind of energy on a live album anywhere.

So you probably saw Verdine White, the bass player (who has hair like Al Harris), jumping around the stage like he's twenty-five. That guy is going to be 60 this summer, I think. It's just amazing. They're almost athletes, and they are really incredible musicians.

The music is honestly timeless.

Another great "band" (whose members change every tour, because it's really just based around two guys, for those unfamiliar) is Steely Dan. They still sound great, too, but Donald Fagen looks like he's about to keel over. LOL

That would make a good halftime show too. "Reelin' In the Years", "Peg" - all that stuff.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Have a halftime show of silence. End it with a fly over. (Yeah I know two in one game) No singing, no dancing, show the American flag and have a vow of silence for those who died for our country. Maybe throw in some shots of beautiful parts of every state. (Illinois has the Bean, the only thing I want out of that state.) And then begin the second half.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Little Richard

I seen him at Summerfest a few years back and that man cant rock

I generally do not like music from that era, but he can make you feel crazy and enjoy the music

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have another girl act up there with hopes of another "wardrobe malfunction." That will get everyone to tune in.

Pam Anderson in a dunking booth just wearing a T-Shirt. $10 for three throws.

Two politicians. One from each major party duking it out on the 50 yard line.

Robin Williams doing improv.

A medley from any Broadway classical musical. Grease, West Side Story, Les Misarabe, The Producers etc.

Lee Majors. Need I say more?

Something to do with Star Wars. (And not the crappy new ones either.)

A number of those tribute bands. You know. The ones where they look and sound like them but it's not them!

Those rockin KISS midgets.

70's retro night. Barry Manilow, Donny and Marie Osmond and special treat, Air Supply with special vocals by Leif Garrett.

Two girls.
Bikinis.
A mud pit.
(Chippendales for the ladies.)

***** shooting demos. (What can be more American than guns?)

And now for a special appearance by Biffy, the wonder dog!

To me, the pop/rock acts are lame or more focused on quantity.
They are more suited for doing a 2 + hour show than just trying to cram in a couple hits in just a few minutes at a football game.
It's like an open mic night, really.
It just doesn't seem right to have a big name on the SB stage anyway.
So I would rather if they brought back the big marching bands who could do formations and a couple songs.
Marching bands are more for football than rock acts, IMO.

Edit: How is a "s" word that describes shooting at a moving target obscene?
It starts with "s" followed by "k" ends with "t" and it's when someone yells "Pull!"
You know which word I mean?
How is that offensive?

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I would personally love to see metallica Acdc Or my favorite band journey I'd love to see a group of songs like don't stop believing, lovin touchin squeezin, Any way you want it and then end with wheel in the sky.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
So you probably saw Verdine White, the bass player (who has hair like Al Harris), jumping around the stage like he's twenty-five. That guy is going to be 60 this summer, I think. It's just amazing. They're almost athletes, and they are really incredible musicians.

The music is honestly timeless.

Another great "band" (whose members change every tour, because it's really just based around two guys, for those unfamiliar) is Steely Dan. They still sound great, too, but Donald Fagen looks like he's about to keel over. LOL

That would make a good halftime show too. "Reelin' In the Years", "Peg" - all that stuff.
Yep, Steely Dan is timeless as long as Donal Fagan is alive. Katy Lied is an instant classic, one of my favorite albums of all time. The sax solo by Phil Woods on Doctor Wu is one of the greatest moments in recorded history. Absolutely understated and powerful at the same time. His tapering back to the melody is so smooth and seamless I still get goose bumps when I hear it. There isn't a bad track on that album. They were ahead of everybody in recording tactics, I don't know that Steely Dan ever did a poor song.
You have good taste LombardiChick.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would personally love to see metallica Acdc Or my favorite band journey I'd love to see a group of songs like don't stop believing, lovin touchin squeezin, Any way you want it and then end with wheel in the sky.
You do realize that the latest incarnation of Journey does not have Steve Perry. Right?
(When that happens it goes from being a legitimate act to a tribute band shell of it's former self. IMO)
Now they have some Filipino guy belting out the Steve Perry hits instead.
Just doesn't seem right anymore.

I think "Journey" was part of a pre-Super Bowl party thingy last year. So that's probably as close to half time as they are going to get.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Yep, Steely Dan is timeless as long as Donal Fagan is alive. Katy Lied is an instant classic, one of my favorite albums of all time. The sax solo by Phil Woods on Doctor Wu is one of the greatest moments in recorded history. Absolutely understated and powerful at the same time. His tapering back to the melody is so smooth and seamless I still get goose bumps when I hear it. There isn't a bad track on that album. They were ahead of everybody in recording tactics, I don't know that Steely Dan ever did a poor song.
You have good taste LombardiChick.

Well, thank you. Music is actually my profession - sounds like you know quite a bit about it yourself! (Do you play?)

I've seen Steely Dan four times, and I'd go see them four more.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. To you.

It would break a record for the largest simultaneous use of the mute button.

Yeah because he isn't considered one of the best singer/songwriters of all-time. He also hasn't sold millions upon millions of albums in just about half a century of work. I didn't know I had to pick someone YOU personally would enjoy...

Members online

Latest posts