drawing them offsides

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just was wondering...
We often see when a team is facing a fourth-and-one and decide to "go for it", instead they simply put some people in motion and hope to draw the other team offsides. It's seldom works because the other team is expecting it.

But if we have the ball on our own one, why not try it (put people in motion like crazy to draw the other team offsides) there? No one expects it. It might work and we might gain an important 5 yards in that territory. If it doesn't work, we only lose a half yard.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When its 4th down and a team tries it and it doesnt work they normally call t/o or just let play clock go and take the penalty and then punt or kick f/g

so if they are at the 1, I assume you dont want them to do it that way?

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive been really impressed with mm deciding to go for it on those fourth downs... it really showed his tenacity and will to go for the heart....something i thought mike sherman lacked dearly!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive been really impressed with mm deciding to go for it on those fourth downs... it really showed his tenacity and will to go for the heart....something i thought mike sherman lacked dearly!

I agree. Sometimes it backfires, but it shows he's not afraid to show faith in his guys.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:

I agree. Sometimes it backfires, but it shows he's not afraid to show faith in his guys.

I believe we've seen him go for it on our side of midfield too - shows faith in both the O and the D

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:

and he most definitily should have faith in his guys! It is amazing to me, that we can convert on 4th downs, passing. and the other team expecting the pass! Kinda tells ya something about our recievers. And our quarterback.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just was wondering...
We often see when a team is facing a fourth-and-one and decide to "go for it", instead they simply put some people in motion and hope to draw the other team offsides. It's seldom works because the other team is expecting it.

But if we have the ball on our own one, why not try it (put people in motion like crazy to draw the other team offsides) there? No one expects it. It might work and we might gain an important 5 yards in that territory. If it doesn't work, we only lose a half yard.

It could be that MM is saving the fake for a more critical time, such as the playoffs. Right now he is creating a tendency, which is to not fake it on 4th and short. Therefore defenses will be less likely to expect it in the future.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I just was wondering...

It could be that MM is saving the fake for a more critical time, such as the playoffs. Right now he is creating a tendency, which is to not fake it on 4th and short. Therefore defenses will be less likely to expect it in the future.

I agree with what your saying..but to add one more thing, were 8 and 1. I dont see why MM should try doing something that he hasn't done already or anything that he doesnt feel comfortable doing.

OP
OP
B

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that the Packers or anybody is doing anything wrong, but I'm asking why I have never, ever, seen anybody – pro or college – try it. The worse you can lose is a half yard, or gaining 5 yards from the 1 to the 6 gives a lot more breathing room.

Members online

Latest posts