1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

drawing them offsides

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by billv, Nov 13, 2007.

1. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just was wondering...
    We often see when a team is facing a fourth-and-one and decide to "go for it", instead they simply put some people in motion and hope to draw the other team offsides. It's seldom works because the other team is expecting it.

But if we have the ball on our own one, why not try it (put people in motion like crazy to draw the other team offsides) there? No one expects it. It might work and we might gain an important 5 yards in that territory. If it doesn't work, we only lose a half yard.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,480
    When its 4th down and a team tries it and it doesnt work they normally call t/o or just let play clock go and take the penalty and then punt or kick f/g

so if they are at the 1, I assume you dont want them to do it that way?

3. mike_donnelly

mike_donnelly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i'd like to see a team punt at the 1

4. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ive been really impressed with mm deciding to go for it on those fourth downs... it really showed his tenacity and will to go for the heart....something i thought mike sherman lacked dearly!

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree. Sometimes it backfires, but it shows he's not afraid to show faith in his guys.

6. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe we've seen him go for it on our side of midfield too - shows faith in both the O and the D

7. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    and he most definitily should have faith in his guys! It is amazing to me, that we can convert on 4th downs, passing. and the other team expecting the pass! Kinda tells ya something about our recievers. And our quarterback.

8. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It could be that MM is saving the fake for a more critical time, such as the playoffs. Right now he is creating a tendency, which is to not fake it on 4th and short. Therefore defenses will be less likely to expect it in the future.

9. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with what your saying..but to add one more thing, were 8 and 1. I dont see why MM should try doing something that he hasn't done already or anything that he doesnt feel comfortable doing.

10. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying that the Packers or anybody is doing anything wrong, but I'm asking why I have never, ever, seen anybody – pro or college – try it. The worse you can lose is a half yard, or gaining 5 yards from the 1 to the 6 gives a lot more breathing room.