draft

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering what you all thought if A.J. was off, and so was leinart, and mario. who do we take then. AJ could go #2, doubtful, but could. Then leinart could easily go 3 or 4 and so could Mario. Trade down? Take Davis? Take Ferguson?

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good exercise. I haven't heard much speculation about Hawk being gone before we draft. I guess in your scenario I'd look for a trading partner in the 6 - 10 range and then draft Davis or Huff. If I couldn't find one, I'd probably draft Vince Young and immediately dangle him (or Rodgers) as trade bait.

I just don't think I'd spend the #5 pick on an O-Lineman, and I don't think TT would either.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trade down prob somewhere in the 10-15 spot and get Mathias Kiwanuka.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go with Davis. It's likely that he would be picked by San Fran at #6, so trading down could lose him and therefore doesn't make sense.

Davis would give us the big deep weapon that will make the potential lose of Walker not so bad. If we are able to keep Walker, then Davis and Walker would be able to open things up for everyone.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as much of a freak as davis is, do you think they'd ever move him to WR? i know he's big and strong, but (i don't remember who it was, John Clayton) someone said that he can't block very well. if we DO end up with him, i'm afraid we would be in another U-71 type situation, where everybody would know we were running the ball because davis wouldn't be on the field. what do you people think? he's fast! he's strong. he could be a TO type WR.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
as much of a freak as davis is, do you think they'd ever move him to WR? i know he's big and strong, but (i don't remember who it was, John Clayton) someone said that he can't block very well. if we DO end up with him, i'm afraid we would be in another U-71 type situation, where everybody would know we were running the ball because davis wouldn't be on the field. what do you people think? he's fast! he's strong. he could be a TO type WR.

Uh Oh....you used the TO word.

I've seen this guy play a little. I think he is strictly a tightend. I haven't heard that he can't block. I don't think he has the lateral....stop/start....cut on a dime moves that a top flight WR has. He has plenty of straight away speed to cause mismatches at the TE position but not necessarily at the WR position. Just my opinion.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that post kinda sounded like i was trying to be a ****head. i wasn't. i haven't ever seen him play, and you answered my question very satisfactorily.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:
Kiwanuka is being pegged as a second rounder right now.

Yea I looked at a myriad of mocks yesterday and he was listed aanywhere from late first to mid second rounder.

He must have fell. A few months ago he was thought to be a early-mid 1st rounder.
I havn't bothered to keep score on all of the one projected to go between 20-40.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Davis' weakness is suppose to be blocking. I think that can be overcome by the coaching staff. 4.3 speed for a man weighing 250 lb cannot be taught. This guy creates a mismatch with any defensive player on the field. He is too strong for the DB's and too fast for the linebackers.

We could use double tight end sets instead of 3 wide receivers (limiting the loss of Walker, should we trade him). We would just have to teach Favre to start throwing to the tight ends again.

If this guy isn't high on Green Bay's board, something is wrong on Lombardi Avenue.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

From what I've read, Davis's weakness is blocking, but he's a much better blocker than Antonio Gates in San Diego. We've already got 2 good blocking TEs in Franks and Lee and both of these guys can be good receivers also.

I don't think we'd end up with a predictable offense because we'd always have the ability to throw defenses off by passing to Franks or running with Davis. If a defense plays to one tendacy, then go the other way.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true. i think i'm just still a little gun shy over the abomination that was U-71. different coach, hope his MO is to keep defenses guessing, as opposed to Sherman who was one of those "i don't care if they know what play we're running because we'll do it so well that they won't be able to stop it anyway" guys.... like a 70's High school coach

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Vernon Davis' weakness is suppose to be blocking. I think that can be overcome by the coaching staff. 4.3 speed for a man weighing 250 lb cannot be taught. This guy creates a mismatch with any defensive player on the field. He is too strong for the DB's and too fast for the linebackers.

We could use double tight end sets instead of 3 wide receivers (limiting the loss of Walker, should we trade him). We would just have to teach Favre to start throwing to the tight ends again.

If this guy isn't high on Green Bay's board, something is wrong on Lombardi Avenue.

if he is a good as he´s said to I am with you 100%.

IMHO the most important thing for an ofense is to be unpredictable or at least real hard to predict, if we have Vernon and Bubba in the same play what will the oposing Defense do? cover for a might be tight end pass play? Cover for a might be run play with Bubba blocking? How will they react to the WR?

Maybe giving Brett a little more liberty to call an audible on the line,,,,,and in case that something goes wrong with the original play you might have Bubba and Vernon as safety options that can cathc a pass and cause damage.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
true. i think i'm just still a little gun shy over the abomination that was U-71. different coach, hope his MO is to keep defenses guessing, as opposed to Sherman who was one of those "i don't care if they know what play we're running because we'll do it so well that they won't be able to stop it anyway" guys.... like a 70's High school coach

I wouldn't mind that attitude if it was successful. Back in the day it did work. As the players got older, injured or replaced with less skilled personel it wasn't as successful. So it was time to do something else.

OP
OP
G

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis would be another great target for Favre. I was wondering though what do you guys think TT will do in the situation? I know we would all do something different, but i want to see if we can predict TT.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jag would love to work with Davis. He's got poor blocking technique, but he's got the tools to become a good blocker.

Owns school strength records for a tight end in bench (460), power clean (355), vertical jump (40 inches), index (797), squat (685) and 40-yard dash time (4.41), all of which were recorded in the spring of 2005...Probably one of the best tight end prospects to come along in some time and his final grade will likely be close to that of Tony Gonzalez and Kellen Winslow II when they were coming out.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
based on picking up arrington and either plummer/woodson..

unless Mario williams is available, i think TT will trade down to the middle of the class and pick the best WR available and obtain more draft picks. You gotta think, TT isnt much of a dreamer. He sees things in black and white. He sees bubba and donald lee and says we are safe at TE but WR is very iffy. which is safe i guess, but safe hardly ever wins.

if we dont pick up either arrington or a good CB, look for us to stay at 5 and take aj hawk.

As much as i would like it, i just dont see TT drafting vernon davis

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I was just reading speculation that NO likes Hawk as the top defensive player in the draft. I wonder, if TT is in love with Mario, would a swap with NO happen.

I don't really see him moving up, but we just don't know. Regardless, come next Saturday I don't see us with the #5 pick.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:
Kiwanuka is being pegged as a second rounder right now.

Yea I looked at a myriad of mocks yesterday and he was listed aanywhere from late first to mid second rounder.

Mathias Kiwanuka
Height: 6-5 3/4 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 4.75

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent natural pass rusher who knows how to get upfield...Tremendous physical specimen...Is an outstanding athlete with good speed and quickness who moves well...Has a good frame with long arms and can easily add more weight...Very productive throughout his career and a player opponents must constantly be aware of...Smart and displays top intangibles...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't always play with good leverage due to his height...Will get pushed around due to his lack of strength and bulk...Has trouble shedding blocks...Still sub par as a run defender...Doesn't always play up to his talent...Needs to develop additional pass rush techniques...There is a chance he might have to move to outside linebacker at the next level...Might have a high "bust" factor.

Notes:
Grandfather Benedicto Kiwanuka was elected Uganda's first prime minister in 1961 and then later assassinated by Idi Amin in 1972...Is very proud of his Ugandan heritage...Similar to Simeon Rice when he came out...Still has some question marks but the physical tools are there for him to be a top pass rusher.

I think Kiwi was the guy who got dominated by D'brick Ferguson during Senior Bowl week. That caused him to drop quite a bit.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget everything i said up there....

packerlegend... thanks for the clips i had seen most of the game clips before but the combine film was amazing. hes gonna be amazing in the nfl... hes too strong and too fast not to do well.

at maryland he would some times run reverses on kickoffs... i think the way our recieving corp is right now.... we have to have this guy.

sign arrington and plummer and draft vernon davis... ill be the happiest guy ever. plenty of other good LBs later in the draft.

also... on sportscenter all three guys agreed while talkin about the 49ers that TE is fast becoming one of the most important positions in the nfl... i know we have donald lee for some depth... but beefing this position up can only help this guy davis is a freak of nature

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts