Draft

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the heck do we trade down to get more picks and then draft crap players only to cut them later? i dont get this....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cuz occasionally you get 6 round gold like crosby

or 3rd round talent like james jones.

more picks = more chances to hit home runs

there will be some strikeouts, sure, but as long as you don't dwell on the strikeout(aka, keep them around forever like sherman), then you can move on and hopefully win a lot of ballgames.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
Why the heck do we trade down to get more picks and then draft crap players only to cut them later? i dont get this....

It all comes down to the drafting strategy of the GM. Some go for quantity over quality, some go for quality over quantity. The bottom line though is making good decisions on talent evaluation regardless of which strategy you choose. The ones that do that have teams that are successful, the ones that don't, don't.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby, Hall and Bishop were all drafted in the sixth round. that's why we stockpile picks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crap players?

I'd say the Draft Class came out pretty decent.

We kept 9 of the 11 picks and the other two made the practice squad.

He had the same formula last year and we still have 7 of those on our roster and 2 of them on IR.

If there is one thing our current GM seems to do well, it's drafting good players.

Buster Davis was cut on Saturday and he was a 3rd round pick. Now that is drafting pretty "crappy"

Just wish he'd use free agency a little more often but that's a different story.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we have quality depth. When you have quality depth, you can afford to trade up to get impact player to put you over the edge. Before we were very thin. More picks equal more depth.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound too much like TT, but draft picks are like gold. The more you have, the more opportunities you have to strike it rich. We have all seen RD 1, 2 and 3 picks flame out, while 5, 6 and 7 have made nice careers.

I think you need to build your core team this way and once this has been accomplished you get stars by retaining your own FA's, signing some FA's and maybe trading up to a player you covet.

I think next year we may be in a position to move up more than down in the draft, as well as acquiring some key FA's.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound too much like TT, but draft picks are like gold. The more you have, the more opportunities you have to strike it rich. We have all seen RD 1, 2 and 3 picks flame out, while 5, 6 and 7 have made nice careers.

I think you need to build your core team this way and once this has been accomplished you get stars by retaining your own FA's, signing some FA's and maybe trading up to a player you covet.

I think next year we may be in a position to move up more than down in the draft, as well as acquiring some key FA's.

I believe we're at that point as well. The next 2-3 years are going to be exciting times for packer fans!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:

I believe we're at that point as well. The next 2-3 years are going to be exciting times for packer fans!!

This year will be an exciting year for Packer fans, except those "fans" that are secretly hoping Favre will fail. Bad news to those "fans," he won't. Favre will be awesome this year. Driver will break double digits in TDs and Jennings will have the year he should have had last year if it weren't for that injury. And Franks will show everyone why he's still on the team. I can't wait for this season to start.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crap players?

I'd say the Draft Class came out pretty decent.

We kept 9 of the 11 picks and the other two made the practice squad.

He had the same formula last year and we still have 7 of those on our roster and 2 of them on IR.

If there is one thing our current GM seems to do well, it's drafting good players.

Buster Davis was cut on Saturday and he was a 3rd round pick. Now that is drafting pretty "crappy"

Just wish he'd use free agency a little more often but that's a different story.

Porky you said it all. Well done.
I will say this- I will be surprised if TT changes his M.O. next year to move up in the draft. It seems that he feels there is always going to be a player of a similar caliber available later in the draft.
But if he does in order to pick up a stud at a need position I am for it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky touched on this; those sappy Cards had 7 picks, reduced to 6 due to a tradeup to pick a guy they have now cut. Of the remaining 6 picks, 3 have been cut now. And we have people questioning TT's drafting stategy? It sure has hell could be worse, IMO.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones, Greg Jennings, Daryn Colledge... the list goes on.

^^^ Acquired via T.T. "Tradedown" Method. Hard to argue with the facts.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts