Draft speculations.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our first pick IMO will be either DT, ILB, OLB or WR. Probably in that order too if truth were known. So yeah, i'd book one of those positions as a lock. It'll be one of those. It'll probably boil down to the BPA out of those positions too.

H

HardRightEdge

So, Kiper says, "the more you watch Correa, the more you see the potential for him to help a pass rush right away. He can take some pressure off Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers.”

He evidently is not aware the Packers plunked down $5 mil for Perry, which is a clear expression of intent. Or is he aware of Jones' move to ILB?

The issue is not taking pressure off Peppers; the issue is replacing him for 2017 if it comes to that, and the fact that Mathews is the only OLB under contract for 2017.

Contrary to everything you've read or heard, I'm seeing Kaufusi as that lengthy elephant who can bring some stuff off the edge, and he's not going to cost a 1st. round pick. Then there's the 2017 draft to reevaluate the position.

I'm undecided on Billings. There's no question he's plug-and-play at NT for the 20-30% of the snaps in the base D. My question is what he can add on the other 70 - 80% of the plays, specifically the 50 -60% of the downs where the opponent passes the ball. That might not be a concern with a lower round draft pick dedicated to NT in rotation, but it should be a concern at #27. I've looked at his tape a couple of times, and finally concluded that he uses his hands and feet well enough in sliding off run blocks that he might be able to improve technique in the pass rush. He needs more than a bull rush to justify the draft position. For lack of appealing alternatives, and the potential for improving pass rush technique, I'm adding him to my first round possibilities.

The more I look at tape, the more I think this DT class is overrated, at least after the top one or two that I frankly have not looked at. I think this group looks stronger than it is because the overall draft class is weak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question with Billings is his bull rush so good that he can rely on it to collapse the pocket? He may not have other pass rush moves but the guy is so strong that he may be a force. If his brute force is elite he can rely on it play after play to collapse the pocket. While he won't get many sacks, opposing qb's will be subject to more sacks from the edges.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, Kiper says, "the more you watch Correa, the more you see the potential for him to help a pass rush right away. He can take some pressure off Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers.”

He evidently is not aware the Packers plunked down $5 mil for Perry, which is a clear impression of intent. Or is he aware of Jones' move to ILB?

The issue is not taking pressure off Peppers; the issue is replacing him for 2017 if it comes to that, and the fact that Mathews is the only OLB under contract for 2017.

Contrary to everything you've read or heard, I'm seeing Kaufusi as that lengthy elephant who can bring some stuff off the edge, and he's not going to cost a 1st. round pick. Then there's the 2017 draft to reevaluate the position.

I would be extremely disappointed if the Packers drafted Correa in the first round. He mostly relies on speed and quickness to rush the passer. With his hands and strength being limited I'm not convinced he will have success against NFL tackles, especially as he already struggled against college left tackles. In addition he's a liability against the run.

I've undecided on Billings. There's no question he's plug-and-play at NT for the 20-30% of the snaps in the base D. My question is what he can add on the other 70 - 80% of the plays, specifically the 50 - 60% of the downs where the opponent passes the ball. That might not be a concern with a lower round draft pick dedicated to NT in rotation, but it should be a concern at #27. I've looked at his tape a couple of times, and finally concluded that he uses his hands and feet well enough in sliding off run blocks that he might be able to improve technique in the pass rush. He needs more than a bull rush to justify the draft position. For lack of appealing alternatives, and the potential for improving pass rush technique, I'm adding him to my first round possibilities.

Billings most likely won't get a ton of sacks at the pro level but he's for sure capable of pushing the pocket on a pass play.

Members online

Latest posts