1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Draft Question

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I always wondered about this. What exactly happens when a player is drafted as far as them signing the dotted line. What happens if a player is drafted and doesn't want to play for the team that picked him, or the team and player/agent can't come to an agreement on a contract? Are they just a FA at that point or what happens?

2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, if a person drafted does not sign, then he remains property of the team that drafted him. Until the next draft, if he still has not signed, he re-entres the draft. So thus he is free to be drafted by any other team, or the same team once again. He doesn't become a FA, just re-entres the draft.

3. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    That 's the way I have heard it is.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup.....thats the way it is. Thats why Eli Manning got his rights traded to the Giants. He told the team that drafted him he would NOT play for them, they would be wasting their pick. I think John Elway did the same thing back when he was drafted.
    So, he would have had to sit out a year if they wouldn't have agreed to trade the rights.

5. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Cool thanks everyone. I just thought I would ask as I figured someone here would know what exactly happens :)

6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Ask John Elway and the Colts lol