DRAFT PREDICTION TIME POLLS: What POSITION

Whether we pick at #21, or trade down/up, WHICH POSITION do you predict our FIRST PICK will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don´t think the Packers have to use their first round pick for a WR. First of all the draft is deep at the position and I don´t see a great value pick being there for the Packers at #21. I would prefer to address the position either in the second or third round.

There aren´t a lot of guys high on Nix on this forum.

I could see them picking up Abberderis in 3rd.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Another position we really haven't discussed yet is WR. Boykin looks to be our #3 which concerns me plenty. Part of me hopes the Packers address the WR position before CB. We currently have Shields, Heyward, Williams, Hyde, and House which should be enough to hold down the position for a year while a project guy like Jean-Baptiste gets broken into the defense.

It's pretty certain Watkins and Evans will be off the board at 21. Therefore if Clinton-Dix, Pryor, and Mosley are off the board, maybe TT trades back to the early 2nd picking up another pick and takes the big WR from Florida St. I know everyone will rip me because that would mean passing on Nix but I also feel 21 is too high for Nix anyway so trade down and get essentially a 2 for 1 IF the guys we want aren't there.....
You're worried about having an average player as your 3rd WR? Thank God you're a Packers fan, most franchises worry about upgrading the average player they have as their #2WR.

21 IS too high for a 2 down 0 tech like Nix, but let somebody else take Plax Jr. There are better options.

Last edited:

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're worried about having an average player as your 3rd WR? Thank God you're a Packers fan, most franchises worry about upgrading the average player they have as their #2WR.

21 IS too high for a 2 down 0 tech like Nix, but let somebody else take Plax Jr. There are better options.

I am worried considering 1) our main strength is #12 and he can't catch his own passes and 2) both Nelson and Cobb have missed time the past couple of years. Not calling them injury prone at all but what would we have done without Jones after Cobb went down last year?

I also agree not to take a WR in the 1st but if there is someone special left in the 2nd to take a look then. My earlier point is that we might be thinner at WR then at CB to justify a pick in the first few rounds considering the way we use them.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of mocks having Van Noy drafted in the second round. I think he will be one that is drafted in the first. He is a good all around player-and although he doesn't run a 4.45 40 like Shazier, he is constantly in the opponents backfield and I think he plays more aggressively. Also seems to have good field awareness in coverage. in 2012 he had 13 sacks...this last season only 4, but I think that's because he was keyed on by teams. I think he would be a very good fit for the Packers as I think he could probably play any of the LB positions...and could be moved around giving the Packers even more flexibility on defense to run more blitz varieties, etc.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I am worried considering 1) our main strength is #12 and he can't catch his own passes and 2) both Nelson and Cobb have missed time the past couple of years. Not calling them injury prone at all but what would we have done without Jones after Cobb went down last year?

I also agree not to take a WR in the 1st but if there is someone special left in the 2nd to take a look then. My earlier point is that we might be thinner at WR then at CB to justify a pick in the first few rounds considering the way we use them.
12 could make ME a 1000 yard WR. I'm not concerned about pass catchers except TE. We'll pick a WR, likely in the 2nd, and they'll be awesome.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NO WAY were thinner at WR. Look at Tramon and davon as no longer being in green and gold in 2015 and tell me were less set at WR. Yes Nelson and Cobb are due to be FAs also, but both are gonna be around if AR has anything to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
NO WAY were thinner at WR. Look at Tramon and davon as no longer being in green and gold in 2015 and tell me were less set at WR. Yes Nelson and Cobb are due to be FAs also, but both are gonna be around if AR has anything to say about it.

Guaranteed to retain at least Cobb, House may come cheap.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with best player available. If the best player is an offensive lineman or quarterback, I could see the Packers trading out of the #21 pick. The Packers could upgrade the defensive line, inside linebacker, outside linebacker, cornerback and safety. The Packers could also use depth at receiver and tight end. I personally do not think ANY running backs in this draft are first round material.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with best player available. If the best player is an offensive lineman or quarterback, I could see the Packers trading out of the #21 pick. The Packers could upgrade the defensive line, inside linebacker, outside linebacker, cornerback and safety. The Packers could also use depth at receiver and tight end. I personally do not think ANY running backs in this draft are first round material.

Running back is about as low of a need as QB on the team right now anyway unless it's for pure return ability in rounds 6-7 but I think we'd take a receiver with return ability even still.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally do not think ANY running backs in this draft are first round material.
That's what they said last year too.
Which is why we got Lacy round 2, Denver got Montee Ball round 2, Steelers LeVeon Bell round 2, all after Gio Bernard Bengals.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Running back is about as low of a need as QB on the team right now anyway unless it's for pure return ability in rounds 6-7 but I think we'd take a receiver with return ability even still.
Even less, we could use a QB3, Tolzien could get swiped.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even less, we could use a QB3, Tolzien could get swiped.

I was talking about an early round choice. The chances we take that QB3 in rds 1-3 are about as low as the chances we take a RB in 1-3

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
12 could make ME a 1000 yard WR. I'm not concerned about pass catchers except TE. We'll pick a WR, likely in the 2nd, and they'll be awesome.

Donte Moncief in 2nd would fit the bill if that's the route TT goes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Taking a look at 2015 we're way thinner at WR than CB. While we have Shields, Hayward and House under contract for next season we don't have any WR signed who has at least 10 career receptions. In addition it will cost a lot of money to re-sign Nelson and Cobb.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No thanks, He doesn't possess the ideal frame for a WR and I'm worried about his concussion history.

I know but he has NFL speed and might best route runner in draft, meaning he could help immediately. He isn't my favorite WR pick by far. I would much rather see them go after Donte Moncrief.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know but he has NFL speed and might best route runner in draft, meaning he could help immediately. He isn't my favorite WR pick by far. I would much rather see them go after Donte Moncrief.

I like Abbrederis, but I'm worried about his durability. He had a great game vs. Bradley Roby (who's considered a late furst, early second round pick), kust don't think he'll stay healthy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Abbrederis, but I'm worried about his durability. He had a great game vs. Bradley Roby (who's considered a late furst, early second round pick), kust don't think he'll stay healthy.

He abused Roby. My issue with a receiver in 2nd round is that mostly likely means they wont get Brooks who I think might be the best free safety in draft. It really all depends on what happens at 21. I suppose if they went receiver at 53 they could get a guy like Brock Vereen later and hope he can help at free safety. This really makes me wonder why they didn't bring in Chris Clemons so they have some back up options at free safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

He abused Roby. My issue with a receiver in 2nd round is that mostly likely means they wont get Brooks who I think might be the best free safety in draft. It really all depends on what happens at 21. I suppose if they went receiver at 53 they could get a guy like Brock Vereen later and hope he can help at free safety. This really makes me wonder why they didn't bring in Chris Clemons so they have some back up options at free safety.

The more I think about it, I really start to think the Packers should draft Brooks. I would be totally fine with trading back to acquire another second round pick to select a WR (if Mosley is there at #21 Thompson should draft him though).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts