Draft Pre-talk: Don't believe what you hear

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the info we hear, from anyone, is bogus.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013rumorsresults.php

From Last Year:

Adam Schefter:
"It will not surprise me one bit if (Matt) Barkley still goes in the top half of the first round of the draft. Look at all the teams in the top 10 that have quarterback questions: Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo and the New York Jets. Would you be floored if any of those teams decided to use their first-round pick on a quarterback, or Barkley in particular? Not really. Barkley will go in the first round -- I don't have any doubt about that. But it will be a bit more challenging to be the first quarterback off the board."

Matt Miller:
"Text I received from a scout this morning: Matt Barkley will not get past the Arizona #Cardinals at No. 7 overall."

Ian Rapoport:
"The more I hear from people involved in the situation, the Bills are going to take Ryan Nassib and not risk losing him."

Chris Mortenson:
"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft. Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3."

"According to league source, Cordarrelle Patterson may fall out of the 1st." - Lance Zierlein, Houston Chronicle. The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah backed this up, tweeting, "I've been hearing this a lot."

"Geno Smith will be a top-five draft pick. There isn't any doubt about it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go in the top three. Specifically, to Jacksonville second overall." - Jason La Canfora

"The Jaguars are interested [in Geno Smith], preliminarily at No. 2." - Peter King

"The Jaguars are meeting with Geno Smith as we speak. They have a lot of interest." - Todd McShay

RESULTS
Geno Smith went on day 2, the 7th pick of the 2nd round.
Ryan Nassib went pick #110, to the Giants. One pick after we took Bakhtiari.
Matt Barkley went on day 3, the first pick of the 4th round.

BOTTOM LINE
Nobody who is a scout or GM of a team is going to reveal their hand. They might have bogus info leaked sure. But why in the hell would they tell anyone who they really want to take?
Nobody within the Packers reporter network, not your precious Jason Wilde or the CheeseheadTV dudes, not ESPN or NFL Network's people, had mentioned anything about the Packers trading up to get Clay Matthews that draft.
Nobody pegged us to take James Jones, Jerron McMillian.

Members online