Draft picks HAVE to have immediate impact

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A question; if we have the same number of injuries as SF has had all year, including yesterday's game, do we not win?

I think we do, and if we do, we're not having this discussion.

Heck if we didn't lose Shields we probably would have won.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is if you only use 1 tool out of your tool box and not use free agency and trade tools to plug holes you will consistently field one of the youngest teams in the league each year and Super Bowl wins will be few and far between..

I just don't think people get this. There is no doing this thing both ways! It's not possible to sign all of your top players, draft and develop AND sign big name free agents! AGAIN... don't believe me...just take a look at the facts. Every single season we hear about teams that are eating the final years of some "superstars" contract and it just KILLS them. It's seldom not the case with major free agent signings!

Look at Chicago and Peppers. Moron Packer fans were screaming for the Packers to sign this guy. Guess what? He had one and 1/2 impactful seasons as a Bear and was actually worthless this year and now they're saying he's gone and they're going to eat the rest of his contract! These big name signings are just not ever worth it.

Now, if they can get a solid and proven player for a fair price. Some guy that wants to have a shot at a ring so he comes in at a fair price....yes...I say sign him. Especially if it's at a position where we have few young players as options like LB.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A question; if we have the same number of injuries as SF has had all year, including yesterday's game, do we not win?

I think we do, and if we do, we're not having this discussion.
I think we blow them out by 10+.

We were missing a key weapon in Finley, while they had theirs in Vernon Davis.
Some of you guys hated on J-Mike, but he was a weapon like it or not.

Also, just Clay Matthews.

Remember Kaepernick running past stupid Jarrett Bush late and then the limping Mulumba not able to get to him?
That should have been Matthews.

Not to mention they had all 3 of their 1st round pick OL out there, while our 2 first round OL are not able to play (Bulaga, Sherrod).

We both had injured CB's so that's pretty even.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I cant wait to see teams like seattle and 49ers in a couple years try to come up with the amount of cap cash that these super studs are gunna want. Once several key rookie contracts are up and several others that will naturally come up and the free agents they all aquired,,,,, have fun paying that bill. The teams will disband..... see the 2013 ravens for the perfect example: they lost guys to free agency that they couldnt afford to pay because they already had mega size contracts, then they lost leadership in retirement. No need to get free agents unless they can come in and plug into a spot due to injury.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once Kapernick and wilson get their pay days, the 49ers and Seahawks won't be able to afford other players. Its a trend in the NFL right now. Teams that spend a ton of money on their QB likely won't be winning many super bowls. because they can't surround the rest of the team with quality players for very long.

It happened to the Ravens, and it will happen to other teams that break the bank for 1 player.

Gms and owners are going to have to curb the spending on QBs in order to supply the rest of the team with good players and be able to keep some key components.

I think the seahawks and niners will be fine for a few years. They are smart with drafting, trading and free agents. If they sign their QBs to a reasonable contract, they will be good for quite a while.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant wait to see teams like seattle and 49ers in a couple years try to come up with the amount of cap cash that these super studs are gunna want. Once several key rookie contracts are up and several others that will naturally come up and the free agents they all aquired,,,,, have fun paying that bill. The teams will disband..... see the 2013 ravens for the perfect example: they lost guys to free agency that they couldnt afford to pay because they already had mega size contracts, then they lost leadership in retirement. No need to get free agents unless they can come in and plug into a spot due to injury.
Well said. They both have a huge advantage with great QBs still on their rookie deals. SF is about $3M under the cap next season and they are paying their QB maybe a 1.6M per year. What will their team look like in 2 years when he gets paid $20M as well as Aldon Smith, Crabtree, Gore, Dorsey, Iupati, and some others are all coming up. Think they will keep many of them?

Boldin, Whitner, and Goodman are coming up next season.

They likely will extend Kap next season and will lose several of these guys.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. They both have a huge advantage with great QBs still on their rookie deals. SF is about $3M under the cap next season and they are paying their QB maybe a 1.6M per year. What will their team look like in 2 years when he gets paid $20M as well as Aldon Smith, Crabtree, Gore, Dorsey, Iupati, and some others are all coming up. Think they will keep many of them?

Boldin, Whitner, and Goodman are coming up next season.

They likely will extend Kap next season and will lose several of these guys.
Who the heck is Goodman?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The premise of the thread is accurate. If a team only builds through the draft, the draft picks must immediately produce. No arguing with that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The premise of the thread is accurate. If a team only builds through the draft, the draft picks must immediately produce. No arguing with that.

Yes there is arguing with that. The necessity for a draft team is the steady acquisition and development of players. If the drafted player manages an impact his first season well that's great. But more importantly the player develops into an impact player within a reasonable period of time. The team creates a pipeline with players progressing and emerging in their second third and sometimes fourth seasons. Case in point, your namesake was buried on the depth chart until the stretch run of his third season, I suspect you wouldn't agree that his lack of early play made him a poor selection. If I had to choose between guys who are ready to play their first season but lack upside, Craig Newsome, or a guy who needs some time to develop but has elite potential, Nick Collins, I'll choose the latter every single time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Thompson's two #1 picks recently were Nick Perry and Datone Jones. They haven't made us any better at all. That's clear. Jerel Worthy was the #2 pick last year. He also has been 100% worthless.
Knowing you drove the bandwagon on all of those three picks while I consistently exhibited skepticism of all three does not lend credibility to your argument, especially considering we are on opposite sides of the fence with the rest of your post. In fact your endorsement of those picks before the draft may actually disqualify you from complaining because TT gave you exactly what you wanted. The only thing I actually agree with you on in your post is that MIN didn count and we should sign a Safety (I'd sign a DT long before I sign an ILB)

Admit it, you actually love the 9ers and the Hawks, in a jealous ex kind of way.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing you drove the bandwagon on all of those three picks while I consistently exhibited skepticism of all three does not lend credibility to your argument, especially considering we are on opposite sides of the fence with the rest of your post. In fact your endorsement of those picks before the draft may actually disqualify you from complaining because TT gave you exactly what you wanted. The only thing I actually agree with you on in your post is that MIN didn count and we should sign a Safety (I'd sign a DT long before I sign an ILB)
That's not true.
I remember reading an interview with Perry before that draft and was amazed he actually answered the question. He was asked which he prefers, 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Most guys in the pre-draft process would say BOTH or EITHER, to keep their # of options open.
But he actually said 4-3 DE.
Now after TT selected him, I came on board.

I remember reading negative things about Datone Jones before the draft. I never had watched UCLA so I didn't even know him. I agree we needed help at that position.... partly because Jerel Worthy didn't provide what we wanted all year, and then he popped his ACL in the last game.

Here's where I will admit mistakes:
I was thrilled to take Abdul Hodge, and Corey Rogers. I also wasn't thrilled with Jordy Nelson. And I didn't know who James Jones was.

We do need a safety badly, and our ILB play is so subpar compared to good NFL defenses.
We need a guy, maybe, like Chris Borland, a smaller version of Kuechly? High energy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its easy to scream for free agency when you look across the fence and see the neighbors doing it, but check the checkbook first. Biggest contract in history for our QB. Matthews also is getting paid. Big splashes in free agency are easy when you dont have to pay your best players much.

You have been very VERY vocal about this team and the amount of injuries we have suffered. You admit we would have won yesterday if we didnt have as many (I think we win if neal and shields dont go down) injuries this season, so why so ******* TT? Obviously he doesnt control broken bones, and you say we would have beaten the team you think we should be like.

I have no desire to see the Packers pay a WR 6 mil for 1 season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not true.
I remember reading an interview with Perry before that draft and was amazed he actually answered the question. He was asked which he prefers, 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Most guys in the pre-draft process would say BOTH or EITHER, to keep their # of options open.

I can handle both, but I prefer 4-3,”

That is from your site

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its easy to scream for free agency when you look across the fence and see the neighbors doing it, but check the checkbook first. Biggest contract in history for our QB. Matthews also is getting paid. Big splashes in free agency are easy when you dont have to pay your best players much.

You have been very VERY vocal about this team and the amount of injuries we have suffered. You admit we would have won yesterday if we didnt have as many (I think we win if neal and shields dont go down) injuries this season, so why so ******* TT? Obviously he doesnt control broken bones, and you say we would have beaten the team you think we should be like.

I have no desire to see the Packers pay a WR 6 mil for 1 season.
That's why I was so scared when he was trying to keep Jennings here last spring.
Not sure what James Jones will command, or Jordy next year.
Have to have good ones though, who are on the same page as Rodgers.
Cobb will be in his 4th year of his rookie contract too next season.
Gotta make hay with these guys while on their cheaper rookie contracts.
That's why getting early impact is crucial.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can handle both, but I prefer 4-3,”

That is from your site
Right, it's rare a guy says he prefers one over the other.
At least he was honest I guess, but it was surprising to hear that answer, preferring one.
Most guys hem and haw and split it down the middle.

Once he said that, I figured he'd be a pick by a 4-3 defense.
Opposite was true of Jerry Hughes. Wrong scheme took him.
Same with Shea McClellin.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I was so scared when he was trying to keep Jennings here last spring.
Not sure what James Jones will command, or Jordy next year.
Have to have good ones though, who are on the same page as Rodgers.
Cobb will be in his 4th year of his rookie contract too next season.
Gotta make hay with these guys while on their cheaper rookie contracts.
That's why getting early impact is crucial.

I dont know how much truth was to that report. I take them with a grain of salt as they might be from the other side trying to stir up a bigger contract. Same with Raji.

Seattle spent a 1st rounder on a guy who they gave a big contract to and caught 1 pass this season.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's not true.

I remember reading negative things about Datone Jones before the draft. I never had watched UCLA so I didn't even know him. I agree we needed help at that position.... partly because Jerel Worthy didn't provide what we wanted all year, and then he popped his ACL in the last game.

Here's where I will admit mistakes:
I was thrilled to take Abdul Hodge, and Corey Rogers. I also wasn't thrilled with Jordy Nelson. And I didn't know who James Jones was.

We do need a safety badly, and our ILB play is so subpar compared to good NFL defenses.
We need a guy, maybe, like Chris Borland, a smaller version of Kuechly? High energy.
Bull. You agonized over whether to take "Bruce Almighty" or "The Orakpo Clone."

Jones I give you, you didn get hype and start comparing him to JSmith until after we had drafted him.

Borland is a better blitzing Hawk without the top 10 measurables. I'm torn on whether I want him or not... That work ethic and that brain! But that speed and height...

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thrilled to take Abdul Hodge, and Corey Rogers. I also wasn't thrilled with Jordy Nelson.

How could you not have been thrilled with the Nelson pick? I was jumping out of my seat cheering when he was picked. You don't do what he did at Kansas State without having a good dose of special. Granted, he flew under the radar a little bit but anyone who averages 10 catches 135 yards and a TD every game in a major conference is a stud. I know there are a few here who are going to label me a racist here, but I've always wondered -- if he wasn't a white boy, would he have slid to the middle of the 2nd round? I have my doubts.

Members online

Latest posts