Draft pick or playoffs?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Indy didn't play for a high draft pick, they were just a terrible team without Peyton Manning.

Oh come on. Everyone knew it. Manning was on his way out and Irsay had a major Jones for Luck. They played the incredibly inept Curtis Painter all season long when everyone knew Orlovsky was by far the better QB and they didn't switch to Orlovsky until the top pick was in the bank. They routinely opted not to cover running backs coming out of the backfield after coming dangerously close to beating the Chiefs. Go back and read. There are plenty of well-written articles from real football guys outlining what they did.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "suck for Luck" campaign and look what it's gotten them. If that's in fact what they did, was it worth it? They got their QB, what else have they gotten? Maybe it changes in the future, maybe it doesn't.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
After a showing like yesterday's 2nd half, I understand the frustration. No QB, no defense and no coaching/sheme adjustments.

Play to win and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe we won't have to tank to finish 5-11.

A pursuit of draft position (which will NOT happen) would make me embarrassed to admit I'm a 50 year Packers fan. The only time I was embarrassed to be a Packers fan was during Forrest Gregg's tenure

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once they hit 0% chance of making the playoffs.. sure.. suck it up and lose the rest. But in week 8 when they are still 4-3.. no, win.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears Rodgers is already ahead of the healing curve. Docs are expecting him to be ready to resume throwing in 6 weeks. It's very possible he could be back for the final 3 regular season games. In the mean time, if we can get to 7 wins by that time, we are in the running and if we can get healthy for playoff time, we are right back in the hunt for Lombardi Trophy #5. You ABSOLUTELY play to win. Draft picks are never a guarantee and by playing for a draft pick you teach your team to lose. That's what Indy did to get Luck and they're still losers to this day.

I was going to laugh when I saw your comment about getting to 7 wins with Hundley, but when I look at the big picture, I can understand your faith.

We're already at 4. Let's assume Rodgers' returns Week 15 at the earliest. So we would need 3 wins between now and then with Hundley through Week 14.

I think we can all agree beating the winless Browns is a must. So that would be 5, need to find 2 more.

If you assume a loss in Pittsburgh, you're left with a road game in Chicago, and home games against Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore. So you somehow need to find a way to take 2 of those. That would leave us at 7-6 when Rodgers returns. He would likely be in a 'run the table' situation again, and after doing so with 6 games last year -- quite plausible he could do 3.

That would leave us with a 10-6 final record again which would likely get us in one way or another.

All games left are important but those divisional ones even moreso for tiebreaker purposes.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "suck for Luck" campaign and look what it's gotten them. If that's in fact what they did, was it worth it? They got their QB, what else have they gotten? Maybe it changes in the future, maybe it doesn't.
Whatever happened, at least it got Grigson fired. We'll see what happens in Indy with their new GM. Can a 2-7 record from here on out get our GM fired? I sure hope so. Draft position is not my main concern for hoping for a poor record. Getting Teddy out of here is.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point Hundley has no trade value. Anything he showed running around in the preseason 3 years ago is long forgotten. The only way for it to go is up.

I don't think he had any after this preseason either when he failed to show anything of note. These past two appearances haven't helped, but I don't think they hurt either as his value was very little to start with.

edited because I broke my rule of posting from my phone. Phones and fat fingers don't mix. ****!

That is if it goes anywhere. It could just sit at the bottom. But I agree with you 100%

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess the game stats -- who are these guys?: Several have an MVP in the regular season or SB. All at one time were considered better than average or even elite before or after these games.
17-25, 160 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 2 Sacks, 45.8 QBR
17-42, 185 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Sacks, 34.3 QBR
18-39, 208 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 3 Sacks, 30.7 QBR
14-28, 123 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INT, 2 Sacks, 22.5 QBR
8-23, 97 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 2 Sacks, 12.4 QBR
10-33, 86 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 2 Sacks, 2 QBR
4-18, 27 Yards, 0 TDS, 2 INTS, 2 Sacks, 0 QBR

The last one reminds me of Animal House. Eli Manning, has no QB rating, all passes incomplete. (I know, he had 4 completions but I had to make the D-Day comparison)

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Like the man said, "You play to win the game" and I would hope they keep trying even if playoffs are not a reality.

Rodgers can't return until week 15 and not 14. (Opps - forgot about the bye week.) He can practice after 6 weeks on IR and return after 8. The most likely wins until then are Bears & Browns. That would be 6 wins. The Raven in my opinion is the best bet out of the remaining Lions, Ravens, Steelers, and Bucs. That's only 7-6 at best with Rodgers coming back and would need to wins both against the Panthers in Charlotte, Lions in Detroit and the Vikings at home to get to 10-6. That may get the Packers in the playoffs. Do you see an extra win in there? What other teams are going to struggle and end up in the same 9-7 or 10-6 group?

Last edited:

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever happened, at least it got Grigson fired. We'll see what happens in Indy with their new GM. Can a 2-7 record from here on out get our GM fired? I sure hope so. Draft position is not my main concern for hoping for a poor record. Getting Teddy out of here is.

I will never understand the "I hope our GM has done a bad job so he is fired."

Ever consider if they suck that means they will be further away from another Lombardi?

Why not hope the rookies and young guys get a lot better so next year's roster with Rodgers is better?

How anyone can hope their team is bad is beyond me.

You might as well just stop watching the games.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never understand the "I hope our GM has done a bad job so he is fired."

Ever consider if they suck that means they will be further away from another Lombardi?

Why not hope the rookies and young guys get a lot better so next year's roster with Rodgers is better?

How anyone can hope their team is bad is beyond me.

You might as well just stop watching the games.
You said hope three times. I don't hope anything. I know our GM has done a bad job. I know our team is bad without Rodgers. OK, I do hope our rookies and young guys get better, but given Teddy's track record, what makes anyone think even a handful of them will improve to the point that they could be a competetive team if we were to lose Rodgers again?

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said hope three times. I don't hope anything. I know our GM has done a bad job. I know our team is bad without Rodgers. OK, I do hope our rookies and young guys get better, but given Teddy's track record, what makes anyone think even a handful of them will improve to the point that they could be a competetive team if we were to lose Rodgers again?

Your post I quoted literally said, "I hope so"

A handful of them have already shown improvement - Martinez, J. Jones, A. Jones, Clark, McCray.

Members online

Latest posts