Draft O-Line

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we should draft O-linemen in the first two or three rounds. As long as we have Dom Capers we will be able to find good players to fill holes if needed. This year we have continuously found guys to steep up and play big on the D. Our RB are only as good as our O-Line is at creating space for them to run through and A-Rod can be great if protected. All we need is a good O-Line and we could be great. If we don't draft them than we should pick some up in Free Agency and we all know the likely hood of that happening.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope and expect TT to go BPA with all of his picks. Whether it is an OLB, OT, WR, CB or even a QB. Simply put, if you pick inferior players, you will eventually have an inferior team. You never know where you are going to be in 6 months. Did anyone think our TE position would be hurting as bad as it did for a few months there? Did anyone see CB as being a position of strength this season? Ignore needs and just get the most talented people you can find.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say go CB or RB in the 1st.

I disagree. The biggest problem with the team this year is the lack of a solid running game, but I put more of the blame on the O-line than on the running backs. Colledge has been decent at guard this year but I don't think he is a very good run blocker. We need someone who is going to open up some big holes for Grant or whoever we have back there. I would really like to see us get Mike Pouncey in the first round (assuming that Von Miller is gone by then). He is just what we need on the O-line.

I don't want to draft a running back in the first round for a couple reasons. First, I would rather us pick up Michael Bush in free agency, assuming he is available. He is a monster when healthy and might not be too expensive if other RBs like DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw enter the market and take the big money. That being said, we all know TT's history with free agency.

Second, I think there are very good options at RB to draft later in the draft. DeMarco Murray is the best RB in the class in my book, and he might be available in the 2nd round. Lamichael James could be there in the 2nd round too. Kendall Hunter is another good option and he should be available after the 2nd round.

I would be fine with drafting a good CB or OLB in the first round, but I definitely think our biggest need is on the O-line like olwig said.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I agree, I think we have to get some good, balanced linemen. Drafting BPA just won't work for us, because at this point, our team is where it needs to be except for a few holes here and there. Namely, the O-line. I think we should get 2 OL in the early rounds, then start drafting BPA. BPA really works for a rebuilding team, and that's not us.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first thing I have to say is a lot of our draft is still up in the air (ranging from early 20s to 32)
I agree that the biggest need is a OG, but I do not feel that TT should reach for an OG in the first round it is quite possible that a just as talented OG can be drafted in the later rounds (2nd or 3rd). The O-line is not as deep in the later 1st round this year as it was last year and I would prefere a BPA at another needed position in the 1st round over one of the OGs. That being said if TT did draft an OG in the 1st I would want Mike Pouncey. I would much rather see TT draft Vonn Miller, or the OLB from UCLA (guess he is suppose to be good). Other options for me would be Ryan Williams out of Va Tech the DE Bailey out of Miami.

This is how i would want the draft to go
1st round) OLB
2nd round) OG (Marcus Cannon out of TCU would be nice here)
3rd and 4th round) CB and RB

I see the reason for a concern at CB and D-line but don't feel they are as big of needs as OLB OG and RB, especially with Harrell coming back :Heristical:. Also don't feel a RB should be drafted in the first two rounds unless one fell down to us.

First post.......woo hoo

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt would both be good picks to help in the run game. Moffitt could take over for Colledge and give us one of the best young G tandems in the NFL

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
o line... a safely maybe a better coverage LB... and a speeder RB like penn states running back!!

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. The biggest problem with the team this year is the lack of a solid running game, but I put more of the blame on the O-line than on the running backs. Colledge has been decent at guard this year but I don't think he is a very good run blocker. We need someone who is going to open up some big holes for Grant or whoever we have back there. I would really like to see us get Mike Pouncey in the first round (assuming that Von Miller is gone by then). He is just what we need on the O-line.

I don't want to draft a running back in the first round for a couple reasons. First, I would rather us pick up Michael Bush in free agency, assuming he is available. He is a monster when healthy and might not be too expensive if other RBs like DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw enter the market and take the big money. That being said, we all know TT's history with free agency.

Second, I think there are very good options at RB to draft later in the draft. DeMarco Murray is the best RB in the class in my book, and he might be available in the 2nd round. Lamichael James could be there in the 2nd round too. Kendall Hunter is another good option and he should be available after the 2nd round.

I would be fine with drafting a good CB or OLB in the first round, but I definitely think our biggest need is on the O-line like olwig said.

I can't agree that Murray is the best back in this draft. The juniors have not even finished declaring and he is already a late 2nd round/early 3rd round prospect at best. Ingram, Leshoure, and Todman could all go ahead of him. I would argue James is the 3rd best RB in his 2013 (r-soph) and he could still go ahead of Murray.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first thing I have to say is a lot of our draft is still up in the air (ranging from early 20s to 32)
I agree that the biggest need is a OG, but I do not feel that TT should reach for an OG in the first round it is quite possible that a just as talented OG can be drafted in the later rounds (2nd or 3rd). The O-line is not as deep in the later 1st round this year as it was last year and I would prefere a BPA at another needed position in the 1st round over one of the OGs. That being said if TT did draft an OG in the 1st I would want Mike Pouncey. I would much rather see TT draft Vonn Miller, or the OLB from UCLA (guess he is suppose to be good). Other options for me would be Ryan Williams out of Va Tech the DE Bailey out of Miami.

This is how i would want the draft to go
1st round) OLB
2nd round) OG (Marcus Cannon out of TCU would be nice here)
3rd and 4th round) CB and RB

I see the reason for a concern at CB and D-line but don't feel they are as big of needs as OLB OG and RB, especially with Harrell coming back :Heristical:. Also don't feel a RB should be drafted in the first two rounds unless one fell down to us.

First post.......woo hoo

I would like to clear up a couple things here:

There is only one first round prospect at OG this year (so far according to our analysis at NFLDS) and that is Hudson from FSU...and that pick should be a late first rounder at that. Then you have one solid 2nd rounder in Franklin from Miami and 2 late 3rd round talents in Pouncey and Ijalana. There are some great options at the value we need in that second round.

Cannon is second round talent, but I think he will be more of an OT prospect. He may be too heavy to run our scheme though (6-5, 350). Typically you would like OGs that are more mobile.

Bailey would be a great pick in the 2nd for a DE. He has the size (6-4, 285) and speed (4.79e) to play DE in the 3-4.

Ryan Williams could be gone by the 2nd round if he declares.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt would both be good picks to help in the run game. Moffitt could take over for Colledge and give us one of the best young G tandems in the NFL

Moffitt could fit our scheme as long as we take him no earlier than the 3rd round.

Carimi is a late first round talent and could be a good pick for us in this great OT class.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't agree that Murray is the best back in this draft. The juniors have not even finished declaring and he is already a late 2nd round/early 3rd round prospect at best. Ingram, Leshoure, and Todman could all go ahead of him. I would argue James is the 3rd best RB in his 2013 (r-soph) and he could still go ahead of Murray.

The point that I was trying to make is that Murray will probably drop behind all of those guys, but I think he could actually turn out to be a better pro than the rest of them. That way we should pass on a running back in the first round and still get a really talented player later on in the draft.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point that I was trying to make is that Murray will probably drop behind all of those guys, but I think he could actually turn out to be a better pro than the rest of them. That way we should pass on a running back in the first round and still get a really talented player later on in the draft.

I get what you are saying, but perhaps you could explain why you think he will be a better pro? I would not be opposed to getting another back in rounds 2-5 either, but I happen to think that some other guys could be better than Murray.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's the most complete package out of the running backs in the draft. He's got good vision and instincts. The man has a nose for the endzone as shown by his school record in career TDs. He might not have Lamichael James speed, but he's still fast and quick in and out of his cuts. He is a natural pass-catcher and capable in blitz pick-up. He's a good kick returner too. I just don't think he has many weaknesses. I certainly understand why some of the other backs are projected ahead of him, but to me he is the most complete, consistent back in the group.

I acknowledge that I'm no scout and I could definitely be wrong. Also, I haven't seen much of Leshoure or Todman so I'm not quite sure how good they will be. I would like to hear which backs you think are better than Murray and what makes them better.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's the most complete package out of the running backs in the draft. He's got good vision and instincts. The man has a nose for the endzone as shown by his school record in career TDs. He might not have Lamichael James speed, but he's still fast and quick in and out of his cuts. He is a natural pass-catcher and capable in blitz pick-up. He's a good kick returner too. I just don't think he has many weaknesses. I certainly understand why some of the other backs are projected ahead of him, but to me he is the most complete, consistent back in the group.

I acknowledge that I'm no scout and I could definitely be wrong. Also, I haven't seen much of Leshoure or Todman so I'm not quite sure how good they will be. I would like to hear which backs you think are better than Murray and what makes them better.

Well let it be noted that I feel that Murray is the best SENIOR RB available this year with Daniel Thomas nipping at his heels for that honor. Both have a late 2nd round grade. Murray isn't that far off of James' speed however, as his estimated 40 time is 4.48e compared to James' 4.42e. Murray is a little bit more thin than I would prefer being only 6-1 and 208. A guy like Ingram is a bit more compact with the ability to bounce off of defenders. His 5-10, 215lb frame helps. It also helps considering he has that 4.48e speed that Murray has. Murray is a lot more shifty, however, which gives him that ability to get outside. Todman is a faster back and Leshoure is a hammer at 6-0, 230 and 4.53e speed.

Murray doesn't do many things poorly...if any at all. But his upside as a senior seems to be a bit more limited. Some of the younger players that may have more size or speed will have a higher upside if they get their experience and gain some of the vision, blocking skills, and receiving skills that Murray already possesses. Is Murray the most complete back out there? Possibly. Does he have the highest upside? Most likely not. If you want to take a back late in the 2nd round...I would have no better choice either. Would I take him in the first round? No. But 2nd or 3rd? You bet!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts