*DRAFT* Green Bay's first four selections enclosed.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 Draft Selections. Add these on the big board Ted. Call me later.

1st rd. *Malcolm Jenkins* CB/S ~I watched Jenks play and practice for 3 years at Ohio State. He is as gifted a CB as I've seen come out since Champ Baily and Charles Woodson. Can play safety or corner. Speed, toughness, playmaker. The only true shut-down corner to come out in some time. Ted you will be lucky if he gets by Cleveland at #5 but if he falls you just got your shut-down corner for the next 10 years or more. This is not only the best CB in the draft. He very well could turn out to be the best player to come out of this draft.

2nd rd. *Robert Ayers* LB/DE ~Can play both LB and DE in Capers hybrid 3-4. You watched the Senior Bowl and now you know how talented a player Ayers is. He is FAST for his size Ted. Game speed is amazing. He has a motor that doesn't stop ala Aaron Kampman. I watched him in person 5 games last season and at the Senior Bowl and dreamt of him in Green and Gold.

3rd rd (a) *Jamon Meredith* OT ~Very athletic and versatile. I see him playing behind Clifton and Mark for a year and then starting for years to come. Has great footwork for a OT. Reminds me a lot of Earl Dotson but more athletic. Have seen him practice and he is a worker.

3rd rd. (b) *Shawn Nelson* TE ~I think he is the second best TE behind Pett. He would be a steal here and could come in and help right away I feel. I don't think Donald Lee is ever going to be the player Mike McCarthy thinks he is. Finley has some potential but yeah a head case. I've spoken to Shawn personally and he is a smart kid. Could be a VERY good TE. Great value with this pick.

There you have it Ted the first four selections of the 2009 draft by the Green Bay Packers.

A couple players I like for the later rounds below Ted.

Andy Levitre, G, Oregon St. ~ Would be a nice fourth round selection Ted. You move to Spitz to center like I told you to do 2 years ago and you will need some more solid guards. This kid is good.

Rulan Davis, DE/DT, Cali ~Would be a great DE in Capers 3-4. He is a lunch pail type cat that we all love. He served in Iraq and is Packer people I promise you this. Tough, smart, hard working, solid.

Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty ~Would be a nice bruiser type back to team with Grant and Jackson right now. I see him and Brandon Jackson being the 2 starting backs very soon. Grant seems to have peaked and is a one hit wonder. You will need a bruiser as soon as next season. 4th and inches anyone? I would also not be against taking Jennings as high as the 3rd round Ted. For sure not a first day selection Ted but if he's available 3rd or later nab him!

Travis Beckum, WR/TE, Wisconsin ~I know the Packers don't like taking Badger receivers but if you could get Travis in the late rounds (5 thru 7) you do it Ted. I would NOT take him any higher than the fourth Ted. He could play TE in spots but I see him as a big play making wide receiver for years to come. Let us not watch yet another Badger receiver become a star for another NFL team.

Chris Miller, P, Ball State ~Strong leg and seems to have good hang time. With him doing the punting Ball State ranked in the Top 20 nationally in punting. I think you take him possibly in the 7th or sign him later as a undrafted free agent Ted. You do not take him earlier than the sixth round.

Call me Ted if you have any questions. I can go into more detail then.

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those def. would be a great first 4.
I'm totally sold on Jamon Meredith, no idea where he's going to end up at draft day but I like him for our scheme.
As far as Jenkins, it kind of scares me that people keep saying he might have to move to safety because of his speed but he's said he does want to stay at corner and is confident he can. I seem to remember people saying he'd be a first rounder last year and he came back which I think is a positive...seems like a solid pick though.
I heard Mayock saying that Ayers could play with his hand down on the ground or OLB but that some scouts had even talked about him playing inside on passing downs for certain teams. That seems rare as heck but I don't know much about him other than that.
Shawn Nelson is another great one, great size, good hands, idk he just looks like he can play some TE. Not even knowing most of his stats or numbers he just passes the eye test to me.

Two guys that caught my eye at the combine were Kyle Moore the DE from USC and I know we probably don't need him and I really don't know what he would be like in the NFL but Jarett Dillard looked pretty good in drills for being such a small guy. Massive vert, big broad jump, now it make sense why he got open so much in college.

OP
OP
F

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you will see Jenkins stock rise even more after the combine. Cleveland is just in love with Jenks and will probably grab him with the #5. He could even go before that.

I've clocked him personally in late 2007 at 4.35 in the 40. Forty times are also not to me the end all be all on whether you can be a successful corner in the NFL. Yes speed doesn't hurt but Malcolm has more than good enough speed to be a very successful CB.

OP
OP
F

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do also like Vontae Davis but would not take him at #9

He is similar in size to Jenks but that is where the comparison ends. Isn't the shut down corner that I feel Jenks will be in the NFL.

Davis will get picked around the middle of the first round I feel.

Everette Brown seems to be on everyones radar for the Packers but I shy away from him because of size, strength and speed. He certainly would be a better OLB than DE but he is just over six feet and like 250 pounds and isn't going to get much bigger. Saw him play in person and to be honest his game speed seemed slow to me. I also see him not being able to shed blockers in the NFL. The Packers already have one high draft pick on the roster that sticks to blockers like velcro.

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually really like Brown and I didn't see a ton of him this year (all just televised stuff so not like coaches tape or anything) but my impression was that he was very quick off the ball and seemed like he was in the backfield way almost instantly sometimes. I also don't know who he was lining up against in those games off the top of my head.....All in all though it's really not a bad year to be picking at number 9 I will say that.

OP
OP
F

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you saw a few years ago drafting high is a risky thing.

All signs pointed to AJ Hawk being a stud playmaker in the NFL. A number 5 first round pick and much money was spent on him.

He to do date has shown to be a average to below average LB. He can't get off blocks in the NFL and is basically at this point a "bust" as a #5 pick.

Will he get better in Capers defense? I truly hope so.

But Hawk shows that all the talk and combine results don't mean squat in the big picture.

It matters what one does when one actually starts strapping it on on Sundays.

The draft is a huge risk yes but you also need to find the least risk situations. The main thing the combine shows me besides all the numbers; If a player shows up in shape and ready to go and shows signs his NFL career means the world to him....even if said player doesn't post eye-popping numbers I would take a closer look at said player. A player that has all the skill and talent in the world means nothing to me if he shows up not ready to go.

OP
OP
F

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Travis in the later rounds but just don't think he last's past the third and I wouldn't take him that high.

I would grab him in a heartbeat in the 5th or later.

Members online

Latest posts