Draft grades? Stupid, or just good reading?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A Reminder About Draft Grades | Cheesehead TV

A Reminder About Draft Grades

By Aaron Nagler on May 01, 2011

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/a-reminder-about-draft-grades#comments
Longtime readers of Cheesehead TV know how I feel about the practice of grading drafts immediately after they conclude.
However, as CHTV has grown in readership over the years, I find myself being asked via email and Twitter to grade not only the Packers' draft but to give my "Winners & Losers".
Here goes.
The only losers are the guys and gals whose editors demand they provide draft grades and "Winners and Losers" the day after the draft.

Reaction score
Draft grades don't truly reflect on how good those players will become, but a lot of ESPN draft grades have been accurate. For example, the Packers got a A rating for the 2006 draft where we got A.J. Hawk, Will Blackmon, Greg Jennings, Daryn College, Jason Spitz, and Johnny Jolly. (granted though that 2 or 3 players that ESPN thought would be good ended up being busts)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I absolutely love them. If you are a draft guy you like to see what others say. I remember everyone last year saying Neal was a reach. Hey, he might be, but he might also be a monster.
It's just fun to read because there's so much of it and there isn't alot of NFL news right now. Do I believe what they say? Nope, I trust Ted.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid. The only and right answer is stupid. They are absolutely useless. It is impossible to grade a draft until you get a chance to see those players play at least three seasons, which is why grading a draft right after the fact is complete nonsense.

I understand some fans like it, which is why they're done. Fans like hearing what they want to hear- That some talking head who couldn't find work on an AFL scout team thinks their team did right in the draft. But putting any stock in them whatsoever is completely and utterly useless.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My disdain for them comes from this: There is simply no way any of the talking heads could have seen enough film on the 254 NFL Draftees to speak intelligently on them. How can they assign a draft grade for players they've never seen?

I get that it's entertaining for some to debate and discuss the possibilities, which is fine. But assigning grades before these kids get a chance to play just seems moronic to me.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
It's fun reading. Of course you can't truly evaluate a draft until after the 3rd year of these players' careers but I think you can rank how well the teams did value-wise a little bit. And like cheesehead1285 said, it's fun to look back and see how right/wrong these guys were.

Guys on ESPN, Foxsports, CBSSports and others write this stuff because there's a demand for it.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I find it a good read but I take what they say with a grain of salt. Nobody really knows who will be good. But I think you can grade at how well a team filled the needs with their draft picks.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're pretty interesting to read. Most of them are fairly accurate in the early rounds. It really is impossible to rate a middle round player since they can be good or a waste of a pick.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read thru a lot of stuff since this draft ended, and I've heard numerous people mention LAWRENCE GUY as being one of the guys who made the worst decision to turn pro as a junior. This from national people, not Packer fans.

Three different people said he'd possibly have been a 2nd round pick had he come back for his senior year at Arizona State.

If that's true, than we got ourselves a steal in the 7th round. I had this guy to us in a mock, along with Randall Cobb. I'm happy as heck to get them both!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course we don't know for sure how these players will do. But if it was all to chance, why would NFL teams spend a penny on scouts? Why not just throw a dart at the wall?

Why do any of these commentators say anything about the picks or do mock drafts or have a big board? Carrying it farther, why discuss who is the best team in the NFL, why not just wait till after the Superbowl to determine it?

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The success of the draft depends on how the players are coached in the NFL and in which situation they land. For example how would Rodgers have done had he been thrown out there to start his first season like some of the quarterback busts. How would Harrington or Russell have done had they had 3-4 years to learn the system and were brought along slowly.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I think they are stupid, but then so are many of the "Far Side" cartoons, and I think they are hilarious and would not consider giving up reading them.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did we draft 3 Randall Cobb's?

No, we drafted one, and cloned him twice.

What? Didn't you hear of the Packers' heavy-duty cloning machine in their top-secret laboratory located underground below Lambeau Field? It's located near the 13E9RS-5UC12 Perfect QB robot prototype codenamed "RODGERS" and the Viking-Suck Regulator that keeps the Vikings from winning the Super Bowl when it was built in 1967.

And about the grades, well, I enjoy reading their analysis and their grades, but I always take it with a grain of salt. I remember them saying what a great pick Brian Brohm was.

Staff online

Members online