Draft Grades - add them if you find them

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, let me say, I know some people will tell you that it is foolish to grade a draft so soon, you have to wait 3 years. I say that if you know football, know your team, know the prospects, then you should be able to form an intelligent opinion to predict success or failure. That is to say, if there was no way to tell the success of a college player in the NFL, then no teams would bother scouting them and there would be no draft, just alphabetical assigned to teams.

Packers with best draft:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...raft-team-needs-johnny-manziel-browns-packers

Grade: A

This has the makings of another great class for Ted Thompson and the Green Bay Packers. Starting off with Ha'sean Clinton-Dix and Davante Adams was as strong a first two rounds as any NFL team had. Richard Rodgers is an athletic tight end with impressive body control who could help ease the loss of Jermichael Finley. They then added Carl Bradford to play inside linebacker and two value picks at wide receiver in Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis. Not bad for Green Bay.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me add to that one:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/

2014 NFL draft grades: Vikings, Packers and Raiders receive highest marks

Green Bay Packers
Few teams addressed obvious needs as aggressively and intelligently in this draft as the Packers, starting with first-round safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. The Alabama product can cover deep, and he’s a great hitter from linebacker depth up. Three underrated receivers — Fresno State’s Davante Adams in the second round, Wisconsin slot man Jared Abbrederis in the fifth round and Frank Rizzo's guy, Saginaw Valley State’s Jeff Janis in the seventh — should make Aaron Rodgers very happy. Cal tight end Richard Rodgers is the Jermichael Finley replacement — a receiver who can flare wide and make plays. And Southern Miss defensive tackle Khyri Thornton will help a line in great need of young, tough talent.

Grade: A

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I was at the golf course all day today, saw the picks but didn't get to watch.

Amish's thing above says we drafted Bradford to play INSIDE linebacker.
Is that what they are saying?

It said on my things today he was an OLB and had good edge skills coming around and after the QB.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, a very good draft. I'll say this ... with the players Ted just picked up, this may very well be the most potentially stacked and talent-deep depth charts at RB and WR that we've seen here since at least 1996, 1997 or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO it is ridiculous to criticize Rodgers for the fact his weight fluctuated in college. With a little research it´s not tough to realize Tedford (who coached California until 2012) asked him to play at close to 270 pounds mostly as a blocker in a pro-style offense while the new coach told him he won´t play in 2013 if he would stay close to that weight. So the guy lost 30 pounds in the offseason to play a different role last season. Hardly what I would consider a problem.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys I was at the golf course all day today, saw the picks but didn't get to watch.

Amish's thing above says we drafted Bradford to play INSIDE linebacker.
Is that what they are saying?

It said on my things today he was an OLB and had good edge skills coming around and after the QB.

Brian Gutekunst said Bradford will be an OLB first.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS - Bob Rang

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...4-nfl-draft-improvements-aplenty-in-nfc-north

Green Bay Packers
It is tougher to find players who will stick on a roster as talented as the Packers' but GM Ted Thompson may have pulled it off with yet another very solid crop. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix certainly made sense as the rangy centerfielder to help Green Bay's lack of ideal speed and fluidity in the deep patrol. The Packers also added high motor front seven defenders in defensive tackle Khyri Thornton and Carl Bradford. The addition of wideout Davante Adams and tight end Richard Rodgers give the Packers potential replacements for James Jones and Jermichael Finley and Thompson didn't stop there, adding arguably the draft's best route-runner in Jared Abbrederis in the fifth and developmental prospect Jeff Janis in the seventh to protect against another injury-shortened season from either Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb. The Packers added athleticism, physicality and intensity each day of the draft, making it one of the NFL's clear winners in this year's draft. Grade: A
[/unquote]

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it is ridiculous to criticize Rodgers for the fact his weight fluctuated in college. With a little research it´s not tough to realize Tedford (who coached California until 2012) asked him to play at close to 270 pounds mostly as a blocker in a pro-style offense while the new coach told him he won´t play in 2013 if he would stay close to that weight. So the guy lost 30 pounds in the offseason to play a different role last season. Hardly what I would consider a problem.

In an assessment of Rodgers' that I read somewhere, they actually listed adding and dropping all that weight as a good sign that he's a team player who's willing to work hard. So yeah, it's weird to see that used to criticize him.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47166/174/draft-2014-nfc-draft-grades

Green Bay Packers

21. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, safety, Alabama.
53. Davante Adams, wide receiver, Fresno State.
85. Khyri Thornton, defensive tackle, Southern Miss.
98. Richard Rodgers, tight end, California.
121. Carl Bradford, outside linebacker, Arizona State.
161. Corey Linsley, center, Ohio State.
176. Jared Abbrederis, wide receiver, Wisconsin.
197. Demetri Goodson, cornerback, Baylor.
236. Jeff Janis, wide receiver, Saginaw Valley State.

Overview: GM Ted Thompson's first three picks were outstanding. He shored up a glaring weakness at free safety by stopping Clinton-Dix's slide at No. 21, and Thornton adds physicality to a defensive line that needs it. Don't be surprised if Thornton quickly pushes underachieving B.J. Raji for nose-tackle snaps. A Hakeem Nicks clone who will unseat Jarrett Boykin sooner rather than later, Adams is going to be a really good addition to Green Bay's three- and four-wide offense. I also liked the Bradford and Linsley picks. Tight end was one of this draft's thinnest positions, so I would have liked for Thompson to address that weakness earlier. I don't think much of Rodgers as a long-term prospect. Abbrederis and Goodson should be core special teamers. Janis is a high-ceiling measurables freak who may head to the practice squad in year one. All in all, I thought this was a sturdy draft with plenty of potential for major year-one impact.

Grade: B+

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that Carl Bradford is in danger of not making the team. This is surprising. His college highlights looked like he was a very good player. Is he playing and having to learn a new position with us, or something? He has gotten hardly any snaps in these preseason games and that is alarming.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I read that Carl Bradford is in danger of not making the team. This is surprising. His college highlights looked like he was a very good player. Is he playing and having to learn a new position with us, or something? He has gotten hardly any snaps in these preseason games and that is alarming.

I think they are getting ready to move him to ILB. I never thought he was tall enough to play outside.

Members online

Latest posts