Draft for need or skill?

Reaction score
Hey all,

If it would happen that Young falls to us, no knock against Hawk but the saying is talent first. Since Ted is clearly not interested in making the team better for Brett. Man it would be very hard to let that kid pass.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say pick for talent if you're drafting that high....

I consider Hawk to be more talented, though, so I'd pick him w/ either approach

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
In the first and second round there is enough talent to go around. Therefore, I say draft for need. After the first 2 rounds, draft best available.

As for Young, I've stated my views of him a few times. If TT drafts him I will be playing in traffic five minutes later.

My thoughts exactly

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need everything, so obviously by drafting the best talent, we will be filling a need.

Mauk10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
If TT drafts him I will be playing in traffic five minutes later.

I'll join you.

spardo62 said:
We need everything, so obviously by drafting the best talent, we will be filling a need.

Also a good point.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
As for Young, I've stated my views of him a few times. If TT drafts him I will be playing in traffic five minutes later.

you name the street, i'll join...

I saw the sportscenter Packers draft thing and they said QB is not out of the question, which potentially could sicken me...AJ Hawk is our guy...

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
mattresell said:

you name the street, i'll join...

I saw the sportscenter Packers draft thing and they said QB is not out of the question, which potentially could sicken me...AJ Hawk is our guy...
How about Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee, but it probably isn't big enough to hold the party!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
No, we'll draft Hawk and all this bloodshed will be avoided.
Pyle,

If two quarterbacks are taken in the top 4, you might want to have some strong liquor next to you, because I think you are going to be disappointed.

Just for the record, I would be happy with Hawk, but I think TT has some fleecing of 2nd round picks in mind.

BTW, I've always loved your avatar! Chapelle rocks.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Pyle,

If two quarterbacks are taken in the top 4, you might want to have some strong liquor next to you, because I think you are going to be disappointed.

Just for the record, I would be happy with Hawk, but I think TT has some fleecing of 2nd round picks in mind.

Meaning what...

if two qb's are taken top four (plus d'brick somewhere) we get Mario Williams--which is great AND unexpected
result: euphoria

if two qb's are taken top four (plus mario to NO or NYJ)...we get:
--Vernon Davis
result: frustrated but not pissed
--D'Brick Ferguson
result: "wtf thompson, we don't need OT's"

if only one qb is taken top four...we get:
--Matt Leinart
result: "WHAT THE F---"
--Vince Young
result: ::click click:: BOOM!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
DakotaT said:
Pyle,

Meaning what...

if two qb's are taken top four (plus d'brick somewhere) we get Mario Williams--which is great AND unexpected

--Vernon Davis
--D'Brick Ferguson

--Matt Leinart
--Vince Young
result: ::click click:: BOOM!

Pretty much BOOM for me to, exceptI am a little more Trigger Happy.

William or Hawk or BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are in a rare position in that we can afford to take the BPA...given our many needs. However, with the increased turnover in the league, and the shorter times players' spend with their draft teams, one must factor in need a little bit more than in the past...they have to fill the bill and be productive early..and where it is needed.

Back in the day of the player as indentured servant, you could take the BPA and groom him over time without fear of losing them as they hit their prime.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk definitely fills a need. The thing about it is he feels a need on the field with his play, but also fills a need on intensity that this Def. desperately needs

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree w/ pyle and digs last 2 points. The intangibles and Hawk's attitude add a lot to his value.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is a trade down. Knowing TT, I wouldn't put it past him.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JW084 wrote:

Meaning what...

--Vernon Davis
--D'Brick Ferguson

--Matt Leinart
--Vince Young
result: ::click click:: BOOM

JW:

If Ferguson is sitting there at 5 and Buffalo offers up their #8 plus their second, do you still take Hawk because he is the safe pick, or do you take the trade and see what's left between Davis, Hawk, and Huff. That extra second rounder can still be a linebacker, yeah he is not Hawk, but I bet he can play well for the Packers. Huff solidifies the secondary and Davis bring a lot.

I know a lot of you want Hawk, but I think we hold a key pick in which to get an extra player with a trade.

Like I have said before, I am happy getting Hawk, but we are fools to go into that draft without exploring all options.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
If Ferguson is sitting there at 5 and Buffalo offers up their #8 plus their second, do you still take Hawk because he is the safe pick, or do you take the trade and see what's left between Davis, Hawk, and Huff. That extra second rounder can still be a linebacker, yeah he is not Hawk, but I bet he can play well for the Packers. Huff solidifies the secondary and Davis bring a lot.

I know a lot of you want Hawk, but I think we hold a key pick in which to get an extra player with a trade.

Like I have said before, I am happy getting Hawk, but we are fools to go into that draft without exploring all options.

I like trading down to #8 with buffalo, i like that scenario...i won't trade down much furhter than that because i think there is an extreme dropoff after about 10-12...I think Ferguson can be a selling point for teams drafting under us, being the blue chip tackle prospect in this draft.

If we're at #8 here's how I rate it...1. Hawk, 2. Davis (how i rate it at #5 too)...3. Ngata, 4. Huff, 5. Bunkley

But if we're at #8 and AJ Hawk doesnt make it to us, I'd entertain trading down (again) to possibly Arizona at #10 (QB?) Cleveland at #12 (Ngata fits them perfectly...and we could potentially end up with two extra second round selections...and with that pick I'd select Ernie Sims from Florida State or Chad Greenway from Iowa, both OLB's with some upside...I like Sims' athleticism and I think he really completes our defense

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You draft for skill when your picking this high. Perfect example of not is Sherman's draft. Always reached for need. Carroll was a reach. Another guy who we reached for was Jamal Reynolds at #10. We reached because of need. Always get the best value out of your pick. If you have Hawk graded as a top 5 talent. Then take him with the #5 pick. If you have Davis and not Hawk. Draft Davis in my opinion then.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT believes in two things when it comes to the draft, value and best-player-available.

If he doesn't think any player there has #5 value when it's time to make a selection, he will trade down. In his eyes making a selection there would be overpaying for a player and he won't do that.

He has also said on several occasions that you never select for need. You may not need the BPA right now, but you very well may in a few months. You take the best player available regardless of the position.

If anyone expects TT to do anything different in this year's draft, you'll probably be disappointed.

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i want to see hawk but if we drafted young i would still be excited cus this kid could be an all star but it's such a toss up with him that i would just take hawk

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
You draft for skill when your picking this high. Perfect example of not is Sherman's draft. Always reached for need. Carroll was a reach. Another guy who we reached for was Jamal Reynolds at #10. We reached because of need. Always get the best value out of your pick. If you have Hawk graded as a top 5 talent. Then take him with the #5 pick. If you have Davis and not Hawk. Draft Davis in my opinion then.

Amen. Plus we are FINALLY in a position with a strong draft class to add depth and guys that can also contribute to special teams while working to be starters.

Even if TT doesn't do any fancy manuevering around with picks by virtue of having #5, #36, and, #67 we should see some talent coming on board.

I read some draft guru's take on this class and he said in evaluating players over the last three years there were only like 22 and 19 legitimate first round players the last two years and something like 41 guys with ratings that merit round 1 consideration this year.

If that is true we have had virtually no chance at a legitimate 1st rounder the last two years and this year we will get two.

If we were going to take one on the chin it looks like last year was the time to do it draft wise.

Let's do some damage!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
porky88 said:

Amen. Plus we are FINALLY in a position with a strong draft class to add depth and guys that can also contribute to special teams while working to be starters.

Even if TT doesn't do any fancy manuevering around with picks by virtue of having #5, #36, and, #67 we should see some talent coming on board.

I read some draft guru's take on this class and he said in evaluating players over the last three years there were only like 22 and 19 legitimate first round players the last two years and something like 41 guys with ratings that merit round 1 consideration this year.

If that is true we have had virtually no chance at a legitimate 1st rounder the last two years and this year we will get two.

If we were going to take one on the chin it looks like last year was the time to do it draft wise.

Let's do some damage!

Yeah I honestly see Green Bay adding 2 new starters through this draft. In round 1 Davis or Hawk in my opinion unless they do feel strong about Young or Leinart. In round 2. Perhaps Nick Mangold or if they passed on a LB in round 1 then D'Qwell Jackson or my favorite Thomas Howard. It's a very deep Draft this year. I'm still praying too the football gods for Mario Williams somehow but I think they shut the door on me with that one. Either Hawk or Davis would be great with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts