Draft Day Trade Ideas

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok now don't kill me for this but I thought I'd take a shot at draft day trade ideas. I also made these trades based on the antiquated draft pick value chart which we would win the 1st trade but lose the 2nd based on value alone.

1st Trade- #21 to Cle for #26 & #83 - With the 26th pick - Ryan Shazier
2nd Trade - #53 & #85 to STL for #44 & #153 - With the 44th Pick - Deone Buchanon

We still will have 2 3rds, 1 4th, 3 5ths, a 6th and a 7th with these trades.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok now don't kill me for this but I thought I'd take a shot at draft day trade ideas. I also made these trades based on the antiquated draft pick value chart which we would win the 1st trade but lose the 2nd based on value alone.

2nd Trade - #53 & #85 to STL for #44 & #153 - With the 44th Pick - Deone Buchanon

I'd say this scenario might be very possible though I have no idea about how the scouts value those two guys. It follows very close to historical draft day trades in terms of pick values. I'd personally rather see Ted trade back again from 26 to 33-houston or 39-jax.

D

Deleted member 6794

It all depends on who is still on the board at #21. I would be in favour of trading back if none of the safeties nor Mosley would be there. In this case I would support the first trade although I´m not sold on Shazier, not a big fan of the second one though as I don´t see a lot of sense trading up nine spots but giving up nearly 70 spots with the other picks involved. In addition I would rather have them draft a free safety.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all depends on who is still on the board at #21. I would be in favour of trading back if none of the safeties nor Mosley would be there. In this case I would support the first trade although I´m not sold on Shazier, not a big fan of the second one though as I don´t see a lot of sense trading up nine spots but giving up nearly 70 spots with the other picks involved. In addition I would rather have them draft a free safety.

Correct, the 1st trade is assuming Mosely and the other S are gone I probably should have stated that. And yes we would lose the 2nd trade based on value but since the 1st trade would net us pick 83 as well I thought it was decent value by gaining an extra 5th while keeping the same amount of 3rd Rd picks prior to the trade. I have been reading that Buchanon can play either FS or SS and I really like what I've seen from him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct, the 1st trade is assuming Mosely and the other S are gone I probably should have stated that. And yes we would lose the 2nd trade based on value but since the 1st trade would net us pick 83 as well I thought it was decent value by gaining an extra 5th while keeping the same amount of 3rd Rd picks prior to the trade. I have been reading that Buchanon can play either FS or SS and I really like what I've seen from him.

I really like Nolan Nawrocki´s work on draft picks and he thinks Bucannon is best suited to play SS and he rates him as a fourth or fifth round pick.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Nolan Nawrocki´s work on draft picks and he thinks Bucannon is best suited to play SS and he rates him as a fourth or fifth round pick.

Yea National Football Post has him listed as a SS and with a late 2nd early 3rd grade on him. For some reason I thought he was moving up boards though which is why I thought we'd have to trade up to get him in the 2nd.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea National Football Post has him listed as a SS and with a late 2nd early 3rd grade on him. For some reason I thought he was moving up boards though which is why I thought we'd have to trade up to get him in the 2nd.
NFL radio had a mock over the weekend where we traded back to 27 and picked Buccanon in the first. It would not be the first time that TT shocks us with our first pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

NFL radio had a mock over the weekend where we traded back to 27 and picked Buccanon in the first. It would not be the first time that TT shocks us with our first pick.

I would be shocked if Bucannon gets drafted in the first round.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of trading down some spots in the first if our "targets" (Dix, Pryor, Mosley, other top player) are gone.

I don't like the second trade. For example CBS has Buchanon as 82th ranked overall prospect and as 5th ranked safety. So moving up in the second to get him seams like reaching. I would consider trading up to 44 if Ward is still there, which might actually happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like the idea of trading down some spots in the first if our "targets" (Dix, Pryor, Mosley, other top player) are gone.

I don't like the second trade. For example CBS has Buchanon as 82th ranked overall prospect and as 5th ranked safety. So moving up in the second to get him seams like reaching. I would consider trading up to 44 if Ward is still there, which might actually happen.

Ward is another guy with coverage limitations. I´m still surprised so many of you want to draft a SS, meaning you would feel comfortable with Burnett at FS.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ward is another guy with coverage limitations. I´m still surprised so many of you want to draft a SS, meaning you would feel comfortable with Burnett at FS.

I would rather draft a free safety than a strong safety. Many draft sites state Ward's cover skills and versatility as one of his strengths (for example: WalterFootball, CBS and B/R-Matt Bowen). So I assume Ward would also make a solid free safety. But I didn't watch any tape of him, so I might be wrong.

But anyways, I am not on the Ward bandwagon. I've seen some sites mock him to us in the first round, which would be a big reach. But if he falls to 40's, which is a big if, the value might be there and than I wouldn't mind trading up.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Jimmie Ward or Terrence Brooks at #44.

And by the way Burnett is a FS he only played SS last season because Jennings was too skinny to play SS. Even for the 4 games and part of a 5th Burnett played alongside Nick Collins before he tore his acl his rookie year Burnett played FS and Collins SS although those two were the definition of interchangeable safeties. Also the 2 games they played together before Collins injured his neck.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More and more mock drafts have Mosley, Pryor, Dix and Ebron all gone before #21 unfortunately, so trading back a few and nabbing Shazier may be as good as any scenario.

I think I'd prefer to keep the #53 and #85 and have 3 3rd round picks. Jimmie Ward or Bucannon have a good chance of being there at #53. Seferian-Jenkins is also a possibility at TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd take Jimmie Ward or Terrence Brooks at #44.

And by the way Burnett is a FS he only played SS last season because Jennings was too skinny to play SS. Even for the 4 games and part of a 5th Burnett played alongside Nick Collins before he tore his acl his rookie year Burnett played FS and Collins SS although those two were the definition of interchangeable safeties. Also the 2 games they played together before Collins injured his neck.

Burnett didn´t play FS in 2010 and I would have questioned MM if he wouldn´t have played Collins there. Once again, having interchangeable safeties means you don´t have a bona fide starter at all. And while Burnett did play FS after Collins went down in 2011, he´s best suited to play SS.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised to see Thompson pick any of this crop of safeties at 21. I think it is possible he'd take a very high on his board DL, CB or LB at 21 but I'm expecting that he's most likely to trade back with 21 unless he's got a defensive player on his board that is valued at 15 or better. I just suspect that there aren't any safeties that fall into that category.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be very surprised to see Thompson pick any of this crop of safeties at 21. I think it is possible he'd take a very high on his board DL, CB or LB at 21 but I'm expecting that he's most likely to trade back with 21 unless he's got a defensive player on his board that is valued at 15 or better. I just suspect that there aren't any safeties that fall into that category.

If Clinton-Dix is there at #21 and TT passes on him I would be mad (except if he gets Mosley or Ebron).

D

Deleted member 6794

Who knows? Maybe Clinton-Dix is viewed by TEd and scouts as 2nd or 3rd round value.

Highly doubt that, but of course I have no idea how Ted and the scouts think about Clinton-Dix. But after not signing a veteran free agent at safety I would question passing on the consesus highest ranked FS in the draft.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows? Maybe Clinton-Dix is viewed by TEd and scouts as 2nd or 3rd round value.

I've seen anywhere from near the top ten to not in the first round for Dix. Same with Pryor.

Some have Ward rated higher than Pryor. Some have Pryor as one with Ward by far three.

I'm with you in that who knows what Ted thinks.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you in that who knows what Ted thinks.
Who knows what Ted thinks. Here's what I do know though:

After the great Nick Collins was so unfairly, tragically, taken away from us in Carolina week 2 of the 2011 season, our safety play has suffered, and we all thought he'd spend a high pick in that 2012 Draft on a safety.
He did not. He grabbed a guy from Maine, who nobody else had mocked in full 7-round mocks I saw thousands of before the draft. Jerron McMillian.

That obviously was a failure as he was thrown out to the curb in 2013 during the season, which is rare.

The MD Jennings Project also was tried for 3 years, and as we all saw and now see, that also was a complete failure.

What your eyes thought they saw back there the past 3 years, was confirmed by A) the releases of both, B) the stats on them from PFF, C) the great days many opposing QBs had, D) the total of ZERO ints our whole safety core had last season.

So where does that leave us now, and Thompson now?
I'd say back to Square One, same place as we were in the 2012 Draft.

Why this guy didn't sign any of the decent if not great veteran safeties continues to amaze me, as did his ignoring the position in the past 2 drafts.

Has the lack of decent, good, great safety play hurt us? I'd say so. So would Eli, and Kaepernick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts