Dr Z and Favre bashing

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Havel column: Favre-bashing Dr. Z needs head examined

By Chris Havel

Dr. Z is guilty of malpractice.

Whether it is due to senility, temporary insanity or being mean-spirited isn't clear. What is clear is Dr. Z's better days are behind him.

Sports Illustrated's Paul Zimmerman, aka Dr. Z, has been opining about the National Football League for the once-great magazine since 1979. To say Zimmerman has lost something is being polite. To say SI's credibility took a hit with Dr. Z's most recent rambling is being honest.

In a column titled "The Call of the Hall," Zimmerman attempts to identify which players are sure-fire, first-ballot inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Zimmerman writes: "Is Brett Favre a shoo-in? How about if he throws another 29 interceptions this season? And the whispers start — maybe he never was that good to begin with. You think this is impossible? You don't know how quickly a great old star can fall from grace."

Of course we know how quickly. Dr. Z provides the example.

Zimmerman says Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders are first-ballot worthy. Of Favre, he writes: "I'll vote for Favre, based on what he used to be, because I think his game has tanked big-time in the last few years, and I don't know if it'll ever be back."

Dr. Z must have missed Smith's sorry stint with Arizona, and Sanders' pathetic days with Baltimore.

Favre, 36, is the NFL's No. 2-ranked quarterback in career touchdown passes, passing yards, completions and interceptions. His 36 straight games with a touchdown pass ranks second to Johnny Unitas' 47. It seems Dr. Z believes nobody remembers who finished second.

Favre's 221 consecutive starts is first all-time, ahead of Peyton Manning's 128, and it ranks fourth among position players behind Jim Marshall (270), **** Tingelhoff (240) and Bruce Matthews (229).

Still, Dr. Z seems more enamored of New England's Tom Brady when he notes: "Brady is the ultimate warrior, and he's a double yes for first ballot and my vote."

If Brady's 78 straight starts make him the ultimate warrior, what does Favre's 221 make him? A flash in the pan?

It is one thing to be controversial. It is another to be ridiculous.

The bottom line is winning, and Favre's 139 career victories rank third behind John Elway's 148 and Dan Marino's 147.

I doubt Dr. Z realizes Favre led the NFL in touchdown passes with 32 — despite playing with a broken right thumb — in 2003. Or that Favre led the NFL by throwing for 14 touchdowns in the first six games last season. Or that he completed passes to a career-high 18 players in 2005.

Amazingly, the greatest hit to Dr. Z's credibility was self- inflicted. He writes: "Sure, I'll vote for **** (Vermeil). He sent me a case of that great cabernet he makes in Calistoga. You bet I'll vote for him."

Favre better send Dr. Z a bucket of crayfish, ASAP. It might get him elected on the first ballot, and it'll give Dr. Z something to eat other than crow.

Intersting read. Funny how these guys seem to forget so quickly!

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Dr Z was the guy in the car commercial...

Anyways that guy sounds like one of those idiots you ignore.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect Skip Bayless to say something as blatantly stupid as that, but not Dr. Z.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blatant example of writing an article to just stir the pot. Even is Favre has the worst season on record- say 35 ints, 15 tds, qb rating of 60, whatever-his prime years were still top 3 alltime in my lifetime. That can't be taken away. First ballot HOF. End of conversation.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Havel, believe it or not. Dr. Z's column is another example of why they have columnists. They pay these guys big bucks to stir the pot, which it has done in spades.

Favre's three-time MVP is enough to qualify him.

Favre is a HOF'er, no doubt, first ballot.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately net, I believe there are some Packer "fans" here who agree with this tripe!

Which i'll never understand why, by the way.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dr Z is a good football writer, but he's gotten cranky in his old age. He gets annoyed by hype, and when he thinks a player gets too much hype he always tries his best to dump on that player. I remember when Favre had that fantastic game against the Raiders after his father died. Dr. Z did not even mention it in his weekly ratings. And a couple years ago, he was asked who is the toughest QB in the league, which of course is the easiest question a football columnist could be asked. Dr. Z said Steve McNair--proof that he would rather say something stupid than run the risk of going along with the crowd.

Members online

Latest posts