DoURant 2010 Mock Draft

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
My first time doing a Mock Draft thread on this forum. Let me know what you think

Rd 1 Pick #30 A.J. Epenesa DL 5T Iowa

It's no secret the Packers got ran over by the 49ers in the playoffs, and I feel it is the one area they need to drastically improve on in the 2020 NFL draft. They need an upgrade from Dean Lowry, and Epenesa fits the bill. A.J. received second-team Associated Press All-American honors in 2019. He had 49 total tackles, 14.5 for loss, 11.5 sacks and 58 QB pressures. He also had four forced fumbles. He is solid against the run, explosive, disciplined, and can also line up inside next to Clark (ala Z)

Rd 2 Pick #62 Michael Pittman Jr. WR USC

At 6'4" and 223 lbs, Pittman has the size that GM Brian Gutekunst has repeatedly targeted. Pittman's ability to create separation on short and intermediate routes might make him one of the best fits opposite Davante Adams. He's coming off a season with 101 receptions for 1,275 yards and 11 TDs. (typical Rd 2 WR stats for Packers draft picks of the past)What do they say about trust with ARod... run good routes, and catch the damn ball, which is what Pittman does with a catch rate of 75.9% and a drop rate of a measly 2.7%

Rd 3 Pick #94 Logan Wilson LB Wyoming

What's more money than the Packers drafting an ILB in the 3rd or 4th Rd.... nothing, (Bradford, Ryan, Martinez, and Burks just to name a few) and the trend continues in 2020. Wilson is a small school linebacker playing at the FBS level, but he definitely produced in his years at Wyoming. What drew me to Wilson the most was his 10 career interceptions, to go along with 14 PBU's, which shows he can drop in coverage and be a 3 down LB (something this team has lacked for years). He also was a tackling machine with over 400 career tackles, and scored 4 defensive TD's during his collegiate career, and I love a guy who has a a knack of finding the end zone.

Rd 4 Pick #136 Darryl Williams C/G Mississippi St

With Corey Linsley becoming a FA after 2020, Center might be one of the more underrated needs in this upcoming draft. Williams was moved to C from G for the 2019 season at Mississippi St, which gives him the versatility of being an option at 2 positions in his rookie year. I also like the familiarity of playing with Big E, who was a stud OL find from Mississippi St last year, who coincidentally also played G and C for the Bulldogs.

Trade with the NY Jets (Packers send Picks #175, and #208 to the NY Jets, for pick #158)

Rd 5 Pick #158 Saahdiq Charles OT LSU

Charles was Joe Burrows LT at LSU, protecting the blindside for the future #1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. I think the Packers will re-sign Bahktiari this off-season, but there still needs to be a plan put in place if they can't afford him, or if he gets injured and misses time. Worse case scenario, Saahdiq becomes the starter at RT in 2021, and possibly moves to LT after Bahk's next contract is over, or he retires.

Rd 6 Pick #192 Tanner Muse Hybrid S/LB Clemson

Pettine loves to use 3 safeties, and the experiment with Josh Jones as a hybrid didn't work out very well at all. Muse is more of a LB moving forward, but has the coverage skills to fulfill the hybrid role on the Packers defense especially covering TE's. Muse has a knack for finding the ball with 7 career interceptions, plus will excel defending the run and playing on ST's.

Rd 6 Pick # 209 Bryce Sterk EDGE Montana St

With the loss of Kyler Fackrell, the Packers find a need for another Edge rusher in this years draft. Sterk possesses some decent measureables, 4.69 40-yard dash, a 34 1/2 inch vertical, and a 7.07 3-cone. However, the most eye popping stat is his 15 sacks last yr. He needs to get a few more pass rush moves, but with a guy like Z on the roster to help, he can be a good developmental rusher to add to the roster.

Rd 7 Pick #236 Bravvion Roy DT Baylor

A mammoth in the middle of Baylor’s defense at 330+lbs, Roy was an immovable anchor. The Packers haven't had a big space eater in the middle for a long time, but having someone to plug up the middle will help sure up the run defense. It doesn't really fit what Pettine does, but 3 years of skeptical run defense, he made need to try something new in typical run downs.

Rd 7 Pick #242 Levonte Taylor CB Florida St

Levonte is a versatile DB who played outside and nickel corner his first 3 yrs at Florida St, but an injury his Junior year caused him to miss some time. As a senior, Florida St moved him to safety. Before his injury, he was highly successful as a blitzing option off of the slot. Taylor is also a press-man coverage corner, that is competitive at the line of scrimmage with his hand fighting and initial technique. The Packers have shown some interest, so I'm going to take a flyer on him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers are actually going to get value out of Epenesa, they'd need to play him on the edge. He can reduce inside on passing downs, but the majority of the time, he needs to play on the edge. He would not really replace Lowry, so much as enter in to the already crowded competition for snaps with the Smiths and Gary. I realize he is probably a very capable 5 technique, but the Packers use a 3-4 front like 25% of the time or less, so I think that's largely irrelevant in the 1st round. So I don't like that pick at all.

Michael Pittman is a stellar WR. He has quicks to compliment his size and physicality, and can create separation rather than just high point passes against smaller DB's. The more familiar I've become with him, the more convinced I am that he goes high. He's my WR4 in this class, and I think he goes closer to #30 than to #62.

There's a lot to like about Wilson. One thing to note, however, is that he's an older prospect. He will be 24 in July. So while he was a pretty impressive players at Wyoming, he was also 23 facing off against Mountain West Conference offenses. Grain of salt.

I am not really familiar with Darryl Williams, but I do agree that the Packers may look for Linsley's replacement in this class. Zierlein pegs Williams as a guy who will fit in gap blocking schemes, but may struggle if asked to block with the movement required of teams that like to run a lot of zone. Take that for what it's worth.

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If the Packers are actually going to get value out of Epenesa, they'd need to play him on the edge. He can reduce inside on passing downs, but the majority of the time, he needs to play on the edge. He would not really replace Lowry, so much as enter in to the already crowded competition for snaps with the Smiths and Gary. I realize he is probably a very capable 5 technique, but the Packers use a 3-4 front like 25% of the time or less, so I think that's largely irrelevant in the 1st round. So I don't like that pick at all.

Michael Pittman is a stellar WR. He has quicks to compliment his size and physicality, and can create separation rather than just high point passes against smaller DB's. The more familiar I've become with him, the more convinced I am that he goes high. He's my WR4 in this class, and I think he goes closer to #30 than to #62.

There's a lot to like about Wilson. One thing to note, however, is that he's an older prospect. He will be 24 in July. So while he was a pretty impressive players at Wyoming, he was also 23 facing off against Mountain West Conference offenses. Grain of salt.

I am not really familiar with Darryl Williams, but I do agree that the Packers may look for Linsley's replacement in this class. Zierlein pegs Williams as a guy who will fit in gap blocking schemes, but may struggle if asked to block with the movement required of teams that like to run a lot of zone. Take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for your input, I am a big fan of Pittman also. I like him more than Aiyuk, Mims, Laviska, Higgins and Reagor.... all guys that many want early in this draft. I wouldn't take any of them guys in the 1st rd., maybe if we trade out of the 1st rd I would take a couple from 35-40. I also don't think we need to draft more than 1 WR in this draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, I am a big fan of Pittman also. I like him more than Aiyuk, Mims, Laviska, Higgins and Reagor.... all guys that many want early in this draft. I wouldn't take any of them guys in the 1st rd., maybe if we trade out of the 1st rd I would take a couple from 35-40. I also don't think we need to draft more than 1 WR in this draft.

I would be OK with Pittman, Aiyuk, Reagor, or Mims at #30, but would prefer a trade down if it can be had.

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I would be OK with Pittman, Aiyuk, Reagor, or Mims at #30, but would prefer a trade down if it can be had.
You know what trade I would like to see happen? We trade #30 and #136 to the Bengals for #33 and #107 (660 to 658 on trade chart) we would have the 1st pick of day 2 and day 3, just like a couple years ago.

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way you are thinking DoURant about the draft. Is it just me or does it always seem that the Packers have to fill major needs in the draft EVERY YEAR. Draft and Develop seems to be develop for someone else. I guess that’s the nature of the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You probably could have used hindsight to nail the 2010 draft, but that’s just what I’d have done. :)

I will say I think Epenesa is going to be a heck of a football player in the NFL. I’m not sure how he fits into our defense but I do think he’s going to be good at what he does. It’s hard for me to not like picking guys I think will be good if we have the chance. I go back and forth. I really think he’s going to be a good pick, but does that mean a good pick for the Packers?

I’m checking out names I hear a lot and your second pick I really like as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of the AJ pick and the position you predict Williams picked (most don't see him as a pick before 6th or so, 5th at the earliest. He has been discussed some on my mocks and the iOL thread. I am a fan of him personally. Shoot I actually like both AJ and him, but AJ doesn't make sense for us and if he is picked by us and is available there it is only because Gute couldn't find a suitor to trade and AJ is clearly the BPA.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010?

I like the draft but would prefer double dipping on WR. There should be some good ones still around in the 5th.

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I like the way you are thinking DoURant about the draft. Is it just me or does it always seem that the Packers have to fill major needs in the draft EVERY YEAR. Draft and Develop seems to be develop for someone else. I guess that’s the nature of the NFL.
With a salary cap, unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. That is also why managing your cap and structuring contracts properly, are huge in retaining your top players.

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Outside of the AJ pick and the position you predict Williams picked (most don't see him as a pick before 6th or so, 5th at the earliest. He has been discussed some on my mocks and the iOL thread. I am a fan of him personally. Shoot I actually like both AJ and him, but AJ doesn't make sense for us and if he is picked by us and is available there it is only because Gute couldn't find a suitor to trade and AJ is clearly the BPA.

I want to make sure everyone understands that I did this mock as a fresh, different way to look at the 30th pick. I like AJ, I think he is a top 20 talent in this draft, and if he is there, who says we won't draft him. Is he the guy I want in the 1st, no, that would be Justin Jefferson... who we would have to trade up for, IMO. Also, I feel the pick if we stay put will be OT or DL. The Packers haven't valued ILB or WR in the 1st rd since AJ Hawk. (Why not another AJ in the 1st, lol ) At the moment, we have the Smith brothers and Gary as pass rushers, AJ could be the 4th guy. Plus he is an improvement over Lowry, not to mention what if any of the Smith Brothers get hurt. Just trying to look outside the WR box in the 1st. I do agree with your BPA and can't trade... this mock fits that scenario.

As for Williams, OL are hard to mock, other than the top guys. I've also seen him middle of the 3rd rd, but more often, early in the 5th. With us at the end of the 4th, and if they like him, pull the trigger.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I want to make sure everyone understands that I did this mock as a fresh, different way to look at the 30th pick. I like AJ, I think he is a top 20 talent in this draft, and if he is there, who says we won't draft him. Is he the guy I want in the 1st, no, that would be Justin Jefferson... who we would have to trade up for, IMO. Also, I feel the pick if we stay put will be OT or DL. The Packers haven't valued ILB or WR in the 1st rd since AJ Hawk. (Why not another AJ in the 1st, lol ) At the moment, we have the Smith brothers and Gary as pass rushers, AJ could be the 4th guy. Plus he is an improvement over Lowry, not to mention what if any of the Smith Brothers get hurt. Just trying to look outside the WR box in the 1st. I do agree with your BPA and can't trade... this mock fits that scenario.

As for Williams, OL are hard to mock, other than the top guys. I've also seen him middle of the 3rd rd, but more often, early in the 5th. With us at the end of the 4th, and if they like him, pull the trigger.

I'm just saying, I'd be mad if they used the 30th overall pick on the "4th guy" (again!).

It's true that the Packers haven't taken a WR in the first round since TT took over. However, the last time they had the 30th pick, they traded down to #36 and took Jordy. I'd love to see them do something like that again.

In the actual first round, they've taken 4 defensive backs, 4 interior defensive linemen, 3 edge rushers, 2 offensive tackles, 1 off-ball linebacker, and 1 quarterback.

If we were to restrict the options to the positions that they have more of a propensity for (DB, iDL, ED, OT), then I would take Jaylon Johnson, A.J. Terrell, Kristian Fulton, Josh Jones, or Ezra Cleveland before I took Epenesa.

But if it was an option, I'd trade back into the mid to late 30's before I took any of them at #30 (outside of maybe Josh Jones).

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
But if it was an option, I'd trade back into the mid to late 30's before I took any of them at #30 (outside of maybe Josh Jones).
The 2 guys I like the most for the Packers at #30 are Justin Jefferson or Josh Jones... I have accepted the fact that it is highly unlikely that they will be there since the combine. If somehow one of them does make it to our pick, I would be running (or whatever they are doing this year) the pick to Goodell. I somewhat like Ross Blacklock, but he struggles against the run at times.... we need to improve our run defense, not continue the course. At WR I would be okay with Brandon Aiyuk, but prefer taking him with a trade down. If we were drafting in the teens this year, this draft would be a lot more exciting. I am open to drafting a DB, whether it be a S or CB, and LB if Murray or Queen are available. When all is said and done, I think someone we really like will make it to our pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 2 guys I like the most for the Packers at #30 are Justin Jefferson or Josh Jones... I have accepted the fact that it is highly unlikely that they will be there since the combine. If somehow one of them does make it to our pick, I would be running (or whatever they are doing this year) the pick to Goodell. I somewhat like Ross Blacklock, but he struggles against the run at times.... we need to improve our run defense, not continue the course. At WR I would be okay with Brandon Aiyuk, but prefer taking him with a trade down. If we were drafting in the teens this year, this draft would be a lot more exciting. I am open to drafting a DB, whether it be a S or CB, and LB if Murray or Queen are available. When all is said and done, I think someone we really like will make it to our pick.

I would love Josh Jones. I'm not a Jefferson fan. Rather than explain it all again, this is what I put in another thread earlier today about Jefferson:

The entire LSU offense catered to Jefferson.

They put him in the slot with a two way go at all times. They used him as the Z, so he never had to face press coverage. They manufactured touches for him out of the backfield and on screens. He had the best accuracy % of targets of any receiver in this draft class. They got him matched on safeties and linebackers regularly. They generally schemed him away from the best corners on the opposition.

In any offense or defense there are engines and there are trailers-- players that make the whole thing work, and players that fit in a role that's largely beneficial.

Burrow, Chase, CEH, and the offensive line were engines for that offense. I would argue that Jefferson was a trailer, along with guys like Moss.

To his credit, Jefferson has stellar ball skills and caught everything. But when I watch him play, I don't see anything else exceptional about his game. He doesn't consistently create separation, he doesn't stack defenders and threaten vertically, he isn't a real threat to consistent create after the catch. In most respects, he's just a guy to me.

If Jefferson is there at #30, I hope the Packers pass. Maybe he will make me look really stupid for this in time, but I'm going to call this one how I see it.

OP
OP
DoURant

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I would love Josh Jones. I'm not a Jefferson fan. Rather than explain it all again, this is what I put in another thread earlier today about Jefferson:

That's a pretty good observation on JJ. I agree that Chase was more the "engine", #1, at WR than JJ was. That's why I enjoy your feedback come draft time, you catch a lot of the x's and o's I sometimes miss. I'm going to have to look at his tape a little better. I still like him, he's my #4 because I like that he catches pretty much everything. However, we do need a legit #2 on the outside, who catches everything, which is why I like Pittman.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's a pretty good observation on JJ. I agree that Chase was more the "engine", #1, at WR than JJ was. That's why I enjoy your feedback come draft time, you catch a lot of the x's and o's I sometimes miss. I'm going to have to look at his tape a little better. I still like him, he's my #4 because I like that he catches pretty much everything. However, we do need a legit #2 on the outside, who catches everything, which is why I like Pittman.

He wouldn't be a disaster because I do believe he could be a chain moving possession guy. I don't think he will bust. I just don't see the ceiling on tape and a lot of what you would want to see from him at the next level has to be projection because of his usage at LSU.

Reaction score
I'm just saying, I'd be mad if they used the 30th overall pick on the "4th guy" (again!).

It's true that the Packers haven't taken a WR in the first round since TT took over. However, the last time they had the 30th pick, they traded down to #36 and took Jordy. I'd love to see them do something like that again.

I agree with that. We should stay pat at #30 IF there is truly a remarkable talent that should've went well before our selection (e.g. #15-#25 range). Other than that, drafting is like throwing darts, with each team selection you go backwards and inch (-5th year option bonus) Going backwards 3-10 inches or spots etc.. with our first selection and gaining an extra toss from several feet back is worth the gamble IMO, especially if you are confident, done your homework and practiced and more successful than average tossing darts

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts