Double D?? You too?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...river-sheds-light-on-aaron-rodgers-leadership

"We've always said that the quarterback is the one that needs to take the pressure off everyone else," Driver said, via ESPN.com. "If a guy runs the wrong route, it's easy for the quarterback to say, 'Hey, I told him to run that route' than for the guy to be like, 'Well, I ran the wrong route.'

"Sometimes you ask Aaron to take the pressure off the guys so we won't look bad, but he didn't want to do that. He felt like if you did something bad, you do it. But I think that's the difference. You want that leadership, and I think sometimes you may not feel like you got it. You have to earn that respect at the end of the day, and I think that's what Greg was probably referring to."

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get these receivers wanting Rodgers to take the fall for their mistakes. How is that leadership?? Maybe if they are rookies he would but Jennings and Driver are top receivers and should own their mistakes like men. I like this attitude from Rodgers. Nothing wrong with being accountable.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...onald-Driver-Rodgers-Jennings-love-them-both-

James Jones' thoughts on the matter:

"“It’s everybody’s responsibility,” Jones said. “Everybody in here is a man. You aren’t in college no more. You aren’t in high school no more. You are a man. When you make a mistake, you got to own up to your own mistakes.

“Just because you have a good quarterback, it ain’t his responsibility to take everybody else’s wrongdoing. When he makes a mistake, he owns up to it. He lets us know when he’s wrong, and we let him know when he’s wrong.”"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh well.
It is what it is.
It's impossible to know what really goes on without actually being there and one of the players.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't really say it any better than those above me. It's beyond me where these guys get this idea that others should take the fall for their mistakes. Own it and move on. That's what a real man does.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...onald-Driver-Rodgers-Jennings-love-them-both-

James Jones' thoughts on the matter:

"“It’s everybody’s responsibility,” Jones said. “Everybody in here is a man. You aren’t in college no more. You aren’t in high school no more. You are a man. When you make a mistake, you got to own up to your own mistakes.

“Just because you have a good quarterback, it ain’t his responsibility to take everybody else’s wrongdoing. When he makes a mistake, he owns up to it. He lets us know when he’s wrong, and we let him know when he’s wrong.”"

That's the right answer. And I don't recall Rodgers reaming out Driver and or Jennings on the field, however I have seen him ream out Jones for running the wrong route on a pick. If anybody should be thin skinned on this matter it should be Jones, but he isn't.

Jennings and Driver are cry babies and they should be told as much. Media-types...that's your cue.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm dense, but DD's comment's had me confused as all get out. WTF was he talking about? I sort of got it, but it almost sounded like he didn't want to talk about it really so he was just talking, he almost sounded relieved on Mike and Mike when they asked him about his Target endorsement..

I get what Jones was saying, but DD, I dunno

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't psyched to hear this from dd this morning. I mean, everyone likes being let off the hook, and I don't blame them for that. And when you get used to playing with Brett, I suppose you get used to hearing him stepping up for you; part of what made him so fun to play with.

How many times did you hear "he's just like a kid, having fun out there!" And you could tell. It looked fun!

You ever hear anyone say that about Aaron? Me neither. He doesn't look like a kid out there. And he really doesn't even look like he's having fun.

Favre liked slinging the pigskin around to his boys. If he was a coach, you'd call him a player's coach. Rex Ryan (uuuulgh)

So what does Aaron like? Winning. He looks like a freakn great white shark out there. If he was a coach, he'd be a belichick.

In today's nfl, I know who I'd want as my qb.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe I'm dense, but DD's comment's had me confused as all get out. WTF was he talking about? I sort of got it, but it almost sounded like he didn't want to talk about it really so he was just talking, he almost sounded relieved on Mike and Mike when they asked him about his Target endorsement..

I get what Jones was saying, but DD, I dunno

It's pretty straight forward. Driver thinks the leader should take the heat when things go wrong, whether it's the leader's fault or not. He's a delicate flower.

As far as I'm concerned, Driver lost all credibility when he skipped camp to go dancing for a living and burnish his national profile for endorsement deals, and then came back thinking he should get the ball. HE was supposed to be a leader and HE didn't show up for work on time. In essence, he pulled a "Favre".

Last edited by a moderator:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was saying that Jennings preferred Favre "The Untouchable" taking Jennimgs' lumps for him. And that he "got" that.

It's easy to take somebody else's lumps when you're untouchable, because being untouchable really meant that you weren't taking anyone's lumps at all; you're just deflecting them. I mean, hey, that feels good doesn't it? Favre standing up for you? Sure it does. But is that going to push you to get better?

Aaron's fierce need for accountability means dealing with a fair amount of uncomfortable criticism. If only jennings could have swallowed his own ego enough to see that the reason for that accountability had everything to do with winning. If he could have seen that, maybe he'd still be playing for a winner. That's what separates the true professionals from the lazy paycheck collectors with million-dollar talent and a ten-cent brain.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense if Kitten, you're here, but I have to admit, these boys really remind me of sensitive WOMEN/GIRLS.
Yes my wife included, for sure.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You know what REALLY surprised me? That DD allowed himself to get drawn into this media driven bloodbath. I think DD was trying to cover both of his friends at the same time and failed miserably. I'm surprised because DD isn't a kid anymore. He's not a rookie just flapping his gums away... he should just pass on commenting on this crap. There is no way anything he says is going to come across the way he means it.

How about Woodson's comments? When Charles speaks, that pretty much slams the door on anything Greg can try to use to get some camera face time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/charles-woodson-doesnt-get-rodgers-criticism/

H

HardRightEdge

You know what REALLY surprised me? That DD allowed himself to get drawn into this media driven bloodbath.

Driver wants national media exposure and income...guest commentary on ESPN, commercials, etc.

He didn't get "drawn into" a media bloodbath...he wants to be part of it. And if he can't express himself, he should find another line of work.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Driver wants national media exposure and income...guest commentary on ESPN, commercials, etc.

He didn't get "drawn into" a media bloodbath...he wants to be part of it. And if he can't express himself, he should find another line of work.

They all should. If I'm reading you right, you believe that he made a conscious decision to be ... um ... dumb (for lack of a better term). "Dumb" in that he figured he could run interference for both of his friends at the same time when one of his friends is so wayyyyyy the hell out in left field that he's going to look even dumber trying to interpret GJ's comments for those of us who don't speak in the "pro football receiver" vernacular . Driver would have served himself better by just saying "They're both friends and it is between them."

H

HardRightEdge

If I'm reading you right....

No, you are not reading me quite right, though on second reading I can see why you thought that.

I did not mean to say Driver wants to be involved in a media bloodbath; he just wants to be involved in the media. Once there, he should expect to encounter situations where others will try to suck him into controversy...that's what the 24 hour news cycle is all about. If he can't prepare himself for it and handle it properly, he doesn't belong there.

Driver harbors some resentments about how he was used in his last couple of years and the manner of his departure. Like Woodson, to use Woodson's term, he was "fired".

At the same time, he wants to be in the media, but when he gets there he lets the resentments bubble up. He does not want to blame the organization, the management or his declining skills for the outcome. Evidently Rodgers didn't back him, so Rodgers becomes the target. Driver ends up looking like a knucklehead, and damages his marketability in the process.

I don't care what Driver thinks about the Jennings/Rodgers relationship.

Woodson's comments were telling since he, like Rodgers, was not a rah-rah leader. They're lead-by-example guys who demand accountability. Woodson demanded accountability from the coaching staff after the SF disaster, and that was a contributing factor in getting fired. That happens sometimes when you speak truth to power, but you don't see him taking the low road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts