1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't take your health for granted

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Jun 6, 2008.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't posted since early last week as I've been pretty busy with school and my career ending, but last Monday (May 26) in the evening my wife said my speech became slurred for about 20 minutes. No, I wasn't drinking! :lol: I went in to the emergency room and the diagnosis was a TIA...Transient Ischemic Attack, or a very minor stroke. CAT scan revealed nothing (like Yogi Berra's head :shock: ) and every test they did was perfect. The only explanation was a small clot formed and then reversed itself and dissolved, but for that split second it caused my speech to slur. I was going to forget about it, but my wife insisted we go to the hospital. The Doc said these things can happen to anyone at any age and you don't take them lightly.
    I feel fine...only missed a half day of work for some tests and am getting things wrapped up here. My last set of grades are in, and next Thursday, June 12th at noon I am officially "outta here." :D
    So, if I can get my final reports for the special ed students done before next week, I'll be on more often.

2. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like you got very, very lucky. Did the doctors put you on blood thinners or anything like that?

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, it's good that everything's okay though. Anything that you could do to reduce the likelihood of it happening again, cardio exercise etc?

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Old people need to not post on these forums. I get attached and if one of you old fogies croak on me I'll lose my ****.

(I'm a poet)

5. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Naw Trom, I ain't gonna croak. It was just a freak clot for a split second, but definitely a wake up call. I take one aspirin a day as the Doc ordered and wash it down with some beers. :beer:

6. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to suggest that if your doc didn't. (Well, the part about the aspirin anyway...) Glad to hear you're OK!

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good.

I am always defending alcohol, which gets a bad rep.

There are 2 people in recent history proven to live to be 120. Both drank on a daily basis. Coincidence? Probably not. Of the people who lived to be 115+, if I'm not mistaken, every single one drank.

Despite what the media drums into your head, it is not any form of cancer that is the #1 cause of death, but heart disease. Alcohol thins the blood, and helps prevent blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks. It does the same thing that aspirin does except without damaging your stomach (which aspirin does).

I won't get into a diatribe about alcoholism because ANYTHING can be abused, and I get sick and tired of people always saying "alcoholism" whenever I try to say something positive about my beloved liquor.

Alcohol is good for you. Drink up, and enjoy it, and may you live to be 121. We need an American to beat that French lady's record.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bob.....I'm glad you are OK.
    You have too much to live for.
    Me on the other hand.............i'm a geezer and ready for my "dirt nap!"LOL!
    Keep us updated on how you are doin!
    (Did you realize you were slurring your speach?)

9. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No Cheesey, I didn't. I thought I was okay. And if you're an old geezer, then what am I? I think I got you beat by about 15 years.

10. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad that your okay Bob!! One never knows when something can happen, that is why we have to take each day and live it to the best that we can..

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Uh....my Dad??? :lol:
    I'm a member of AARP......that was when i realized i'm a geezer. I remember when i was young, and thought "old folks" were anyone over 40. Physically i feel like i'm 100.......mentally though, about 15.