Don't expect the Packers to spend their first round pick on a cornerback

What position will the Packers first round pick play?

• Cornerback

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Outside Linebacker

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Guard

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Running back

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree. He can play some slot and can be the Swiss Army knife that Hyde was. He could also play safety with Burnett moving down and we picked up House already to play outside.

Peppers can cover, blitz and tackle. He would also be a weapon in the return game. He could follow in the steps of Woodson and could play Nickel. Plus covers us at safety with contracts coming up at the position.

Peppers might turn into a decent box safety at the pro level but he completely lacks the instincts to be any good in coverage. It's ridiculous to compare him to Woodson.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Peppers might turn into a decent box safety at the pro level but he completely lacks the instincts to be any good in coverage. It's ridiculous to compare him to Woodson.

Or to suggest that he should move to corner.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point it's foolish to say that when I was talking about position wise as in Nickel. I'm simply saying he offers a ton of upside.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I compared him to Hyde if anything. I said follow in the footsteps of Woodson as in coming from Michigan and also his position. That's all.

D

Deleted member 6794

At this point it's foolish to say that when I was talking about position wise as in Nickel. I'm simply saying he offers a ton of upside.

Peppers' skill set isn't a good fit to line him up as a nickel cornerback though.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers' skill set isn't a good fit to line him up as a nickel cornerback though.
I've seen plenty scouting reports comparing him to Malcolm Jenkins who excelled in a similar role. He can Blitz, Tackle and cover in Capers system and provide a matchup problem for offenses. I would love this pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've seen plenty scouting reports comparing him to Malcolm Jenkins who excelled in a similar role. He can Blitz, Tackle and cover in Capers system and provide a matchup problem for offenses. I would love this pick.

And you're basing all of this on who he's been compared to?

Peppers can fly to the ball if he's schemed clean by the defense. He's very athletic and explosive in that way. But when he has to deal with blockers or when he has to cover in man, he's not an above average player. Both his tape and production demonstrate this.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
While I'm on board with the skepticism about Peppers being an NFL CB, it wouldn't surprise me to find out TT loves the guy.

After all, in 2015 he took a safety in round one, Randall, with the idea he could be a #1 CB. Next he took a former basketball player from a weak conference in round two, Rollins, hoping he could make the jump to the NFL with only one or two years experience playing football.

Nevertheless, I'm hopeful it will turn out well if he takes a CB this year...and I expect it (getting back to the thread topic, sorry). Unless Watt, Takk or another pass rusher is there, it should be a CB. The depth at CB this year is so deep you'll be getting a guy who might have gone top 15 in other years with a Conley, White or A. Jackson, so, TT will have to work extra hard to screw this one up.

D

Deleted member 6794

After all, in 2015 he took a safety in round one, Randall, with the idea he could be a #1 CB. Next he took a former basketball player from a weak conference in round two, Rollins, hoping he could make the jump to the NFL with only one or two years experience playing football.

Thompson finally has to select a cornerback that has played the position during his college career early in this year's draft.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know this is on another the thread but with the price dropping on Sherman and we could snag him what is the next immediate position we need to fill. DB,OLB or guard or something else?

D

Deleted member 6794

i know this is on another the thread but with the price dropping on Sherman and we could snag him what is the next immediate position we need to fill. DB,OLB or guard or something else?

It the Packers trade for Sherman another edge rusher immediately becomes the team's most pressing need.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The price is dropping on the entire list of free agents. I suspect Thompson waits until after the draft to see what holes he wants to fill with a cheap vet. This roster building watching is so much fun. I bet he's got people looking at almost every position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the draft gets closer some vets might take a deal because they think opportunities with teams they want to play for might be addressed in the draft and shut that door. I think teams have already made it clear they aren't signing people at their current perceived value. Teams don't generally stray until training camps start and injuries start to happen.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not that he'd be some final solution, but I'd definitely welcome Jason McCourty in to help at corner.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not that he'd be some final solution, but I'd definitely welcome Jason McCourty in to help at corner.

I agree. While it isn't the only thing to look at, McCourty’s 74.1 PFF grade in 2016 is better than the Stephon Gilmore's score of 73.2 His play has fallen off over the past three seasons, although that might be linked to injuries (groin in 2015, chest and shoulder in 2016). He is regarded as one of the best tackling CB's in the league, which the Packers sure could use. From what I have read, he would like to go play with his twin brother Devin in New England, but with the right offer from the Packers, maybe he and House could improve the CB position enough to warrant paying him $4-5M/year. At this point, I like him better than any other options out there, including the draft and the cost/risk of bringing Sherman to GB.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree. While it isn't the only thing to look at, McCourty’s 74.1 PFF grade in 2016 is better than the Stephon Gilmore's score of 73.2 His play has fallen off over the past three seasons, although that might be linked to injuries (groin in 2015, chest and shoulder in 2016). He is regarded as one of the best tackling CB's in the league, which the Packers sure could use. From what I have read, he would like to go play with his twin brother Devin in New England, but with the right offer from the Packers, maybe he and House could improve the CB position enough to warrant paying him $4-5M/year. At this point, I like him better than any other options out there, including the draft and the cost/risk of bringing Sherman to GB.

I'd be all for bringing him in.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Save for being a touch short, his athletic profile was exactly what TT generally targets.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Would assist in depth building purposes.

McCourty, House, Randall, Rollins, Rookie, and Gunter.

If one of the 2015 guys bounces back, you're looking at a dramatically better situation than what we dealt with last year,

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Save for being a touch short, his athletic profile was exactly what TT generally targets.

McCourty, House, Randall, Rollins, Rookie, and Gunter.

If one of the 2015 guys bounces back, you're looking at a dramatically better situation than what we dealt with last year,

I think you meant "2016 guys", but yes.

I guess all we can do now is wait....and watch as McCourtney signs with another team :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts