Don't expect the Packers to spend their first round pick on a cornerback

What position will the Packers first round pick play?

• Cornerback

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Outside Linebacker

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Guard

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Running back

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would love Corey Davis but he will be long gone when Packers pick.

If Packers want to go receiver in 2-3rd they could get Zay Jones. This guy has Ted Thompson written all over him and he would be a front line receiver.

If they wait till 3-4 round the guy is Carlos Henderson. He is a faster version of Cobb with ability to pick up yac.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, get Sidney Jones, Kevin King, Adoree' Jackson, Chidobe Awuzie, Fabian Moreau, and Ahkello Witherspoon OFF the Packers' board. Stupid PAC12 with their stupid good corners.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, get Sidney Jones, Kevin King, Adoree' Jackson, Chidobe Awuzie, Fabian Moreau, and Ahkello Witherspoon OFF the Packers' board. Stupid PAC12 with their stupid good corners.
Our former first round "stupid good corner" from that conference isn't exactly panning out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not mind taking Corey Davis out of WMU to replace Adams if he leaves we could slide Allison to slot when Cobb leaves although might get fans riled up for 1st round pick and he might not be there very intriguing look in my book. Or I am crazy. Ha.
Ted has always drafted power 5 conference in the first round. I don't expect him to change his MO after all these years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We Didn't draft those guys. I think his issue is with the guys we did draft from that conference.

Like Clay Matthews and Nick Perry?

I've seen the "don't draft PAC12" sentiment dozens of times this offseason and to be blunt it's one of the stupider takes out there. Guys bust and hit from all conferences. That doesn't make them all equal, but you're not going to write off one of the top 2-3 conferences in college football because some guys haven't worked out. There's a lot of talent in this draft from that conference.

It's hilarious to me that some of the same posters who want TT fired for not using FA more also want him to take an entire P5 conference off his draft board. Because THAT would actually be an instantly fireable offense. But then, I guess that's why this is a fan forum and he runs the front office.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen the "don't draft PAC12" sentiment dozens of times this offseason and to be blunt it's one of the stupider takes out there. Guys bust and hit from all conferences. That doesn't make them all equal, but you're not going to write off one of the top 2-3 conferences in college football because some guys haven't worked out. There's a lot of talent in this draft from that conference.

It's hilarious to me that some of the same posters who want TT fired for not using FA more also want him to take an entire P5 conference off his draft board. Because THAT would actually be an instantly fireable offense. But then, I guess that's why this is a fan forum and he runs the front office.

Absolutely agreed that it's nonsense to eliminate prospects from one of the top conferences in college football because several of their players haven't performed up to expectations at the pro level.

It's hilarious that some Thompson supporters fully understand that while being fine with him mostly ignoring free agency though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed that it's nonsense to eliminate prospects from one of the top conferences in college football because several of their players haven't performed up to expectations at the pro level.

It's hilarious that some Thompson supporters fully understand that while being fine with him mostly ignoring free agency though.

So using FA sparingly is as bad, in your view, as taking an entire conference off the draft board?

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion, that is absolute insanity.

Well, in my opinion it's ludicrous to be fine with using only a single method with the draft to improve the roster and mostly ignore free agency and trades.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion it's ludicrous to be fine with using only a single method with the draft to improve the roster and mostly ignore free agency and trades.

I'm not fine with it, and TT has actually signed 4 guys this offseason. But many good GM's have eschewed FA as a major means of improvement. Zero have decided to write off an entire power 5 conference.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not fine with it, and TT has actually signed 4 guys this offseason. But many good GM's have eschewed FA as a major means of improvement. Zero have decided to write off an entire power 5 conference.

It's true that Thompson has been more active in free agency this offseason. There hasn't been any successful general manager as reluctant as Thompson to use free agency or trades to improve the roster in the league though.

Once again, I'm not advocating to ignore prospects coming out of the Pac-12 but think mostly pass free agency as a method to upgrade the team is equally bad.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's true that Thompson has been more active in free agency this offseason. There hasn't been any successful general manager as reluctant as Thompson to use free agency or trades to improve the roster in the league though.

Once again, I'm not advocating to ignore prospects coming out of the Pac-12 but think mostly pass free agency as a method to upgrade the team is equally bad.

The Steelers come to mind as a very successful franchise that use FA sparingly. They're not quite as stingy with it as GB is, but they rarely make big moves on the open market.

But prolonged success in this league is about the draft. Especially now with the wage scale in place. FA is a supplement or, if you're going to go all in for a year or two and pay for it later, might be a way to make a push. So if you're cutting the legs out of your drafting by erasing a power 5 conference, you're doing way more damage than passing on the opportunity to supplement.

D

Deleted member 6794

So if you're cutting the legs out of your drafting by erasing a power 5 conference, you're doing way more damage than passing on the opportunity to supplement.

Once again, I agree it's crazy to ignore prospects from a specific conference. It seems we have to disagree about the level of badness mostly passing on free agents though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Once again, I agree it's crazy to ignore prospects from a specific conference. It seems we have to disagree about the level of badness mostly passing on free agents though.

I agree, we disagree.

EDIT: Wait a second... I'm hung up on this. So you're telling me, with a straight faced emoji, that TT using FA as sparingly as he does is as damaging as if he just didn't draft PAC12 players? Players like, say, Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, or David Bakhtiari?

I know we disagree on a lot of stuff, but this one seems especially strange and I'm questioning whether you honestly believe it.

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Peppers at first, but he's a master of none and doesn't look great in coverage. I will say he's an amazing athlete with a ton of potential, but I'm only drafting him if he somehow slips to the 2nd round.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Peppers at first, but he's a master of none and doesn't look great in coverage. I will say he's an amazing athlete with a ton of potential, but I'm only drafting him if he somehow slips to the 2nd round.
even then.... the Packers would be stuck with a dilemna of needing a better cover corner..while having several good players that can play safety/ nickel linebacker. I don't see the Packers putting Morgan Burnett on the bench, and with all the needs the Packers have right now, I would hope they can find somebody in the second round that would be a potential starter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, he's last years Darren Lee that everyone got all excited about. I dont' remember hearing much about him after the draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I find Peppers intriguing which of course means he probably won't even be on Thompson's draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts