Donald Driver 1 more year?

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will he retire? will he come back? I really think he has quality football left in him. He has stepped up when asked an multiple occasions this year. I cant say enough about what a positive impact this guy has on our team, really hope to see him play at least one more season.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to say when you have fresh legs like Cobb and Gurley waiting in the pipeline to take his place full time.

I wouldn't mind though if he did, I think he has still contributed greatly to the offense this year, would love to see him have a breakout playoff game.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gaurentee he will be back next year. Mark my words.
He said he wants to retire as a Packer, and he will......with 3 superbowl rings.
Donald Driver=Greatest Packer in modern history

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
He said he wants to retire as a Packer, and he will......with 3 superbowl rings.
oooooh what a great thought to start the morning!!!
I've been thinking the same thing....and want to keep the retirement thoughts far away!

OP
OP
Frozencheese

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I sure hope you are right! Here is something about Driver that helps put him in perspective for me,

My Grandma was 92 when she died on Nov. 16th, she grew up in Gillett, Wisconsin (about 40 mins from Lambeau) and LOVED the Packers from day 1. To give you some insight as to how die hard my Grandparents were about the GB Packers, here is a short story.
I live in Alaska, so when I found out that funeral wasnt until the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I was relieved I would have some time to plan a trip home with more that just a few days notice. After the funeral service I asked my Dad why the funeral was scheduled almost two weeks after she died, he looked at me with a kind of serious look and a half smile and said that My Granparents both had it clearly stated in their last wishes that they absolutely would not want their service to interfere with a Packer or Badger game!! I laughed my *** off, and wasnt even all that surprised. To get back on track, She and my Grandfather both agreed that their all time favorite Packer was DD. THAT is saying something about the man.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm indifferent about him playing 1 more year. I think all the talent around him at the position has left him matched up against much lesser players so I guess come back until the wheels fall off. Though I don't like his contract and would like to see other players get more opportunities. Also my favorite packer.

ParLawGod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Donald Driver comes back, as he is one of my all-time favorite Packers, but he would have to take a pretty significant pay cut. DD has the brains and experience of a #1 WR, but he is going to be slipping down the depth chart after this season. I would like to see Jennings, Nelson, and then Cobb in the slot, and Jones as the #4. I LOVE Donald Driver, but I just don't think there is room for him on the roster next year. I would sit down with him after the season and encourage him to retire - it would be the best thing for the team (and free up some salary space). Edgar Bennett back to RB coach and Driver the WR coach? He has the experience and the respect of his teammates...I bet he would do great.

Just my opinion of course :( Driver is one of the best Packers to ever play the game, and a class act!

I do know one thing - he won't sign with the Viqueens! :tup:

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the depth at WR is
Jennings (same)
Nelson (rising)
Driver (same)...BUT its hard to say for sure as he isnt getting as much passes, but look at some of the good recpetions he has had this year)
Jones (maintaining)
Cobb (rising)

Driver will be back next year...I think everyone on the Packers would think the same.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I hope he has 1 more year left! He's done well this season even with all the other talent surrounding him. The O-line shines as a unit, not one particular player. DD is as essential part of the receiving corps. I'm also, and this on a purely selfish note, not wanting to see one of my favorite Packers go. My eyes would leak. :(

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greater than Aaron Rodgers?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I hope Donald Driver comes back, as he is one of my all-time favorite Packers, but he would have to take a pretty significant pay cut. DD has the brains and experience of a #1 WR, but he is going to be slipping down the depth chart after this season. I would like to see Jennings, Nelson, and then Cobb in the slot, and Jones as the #4. I LOVE Donald Driver, but I just don't think there is room for him on the roster next year. I would sit down with him after the season and encourage him to retire - it would be the best thing for the team (and free up some salary space). Edgar Bennett back to RB coach and Driver the WR coach? He has the experience and the respect of his teammates...I bet he would do great.

Just my opinion of course :( Driver is one of the best Packers to ever play the game, and a class act!

Coach? I like that. :)

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
There is nothing that leads me to believe that he physically can't play another year. He's still a beast receiver. I would like to see him back. But sometimes being able to physically play isn't enough. It's a mentally tough sport, and you have to want to play and have passion for what you are doing.

I'm sure Barry Sanders could have played another 2 or 3 years at a high level when he decided to retire, but he just mentally wasn't into it anymore.

One thing that Driver possesses is leadership on our offense. That's a tough thing to replace

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would luv to see DD back but the NFL is an unforgiving employer. I'm thinking that Tori Gurley might get a shot at the active roster next year with DD fighting for the same spot.

OP
OP
Frozencheese

Frozencheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like the idea of him coaching with Green Bay. DD is clearly cut out to lead young men to the promise land, and it puts him on our sidelines which I know fans would appreciate. I love seeing Edgar Bennett out there with our guys, DD would fit right into the role.

L

Lunchboxer

There is nothing that leads me to believe that he physically can't play another year. He's still a beast receiver. I would like to see him back. But sometimes being able to physically play isn't enough. It's a mentally tough sport, and you have to want to play and have passion for what you are doing.

I'm sure Barry Sanders could have played another 2 or 3 years at a high level when he decided to retire, but he just mentally wasn't into it anymore.

One thing that Driver possesses is leadership on our offense. That's a tough thing to replace

Barry Sanders would of played few more seasons if he was on a Decent team.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think TT will keep Driver at the expense of losing Gurley. He has already shown he is willing to pay him active roster money to stay on our practice squad. That means he is in TT's plans for the near future. Gurley has tremendous upside and gives us a big red zone target. I think it will be a straight up competition for a roster spot between DD and Gurley next year with Gurley getting a big edge to start out given his age. DD has already said if TT ever decides it's time for him to go that he won't hold any ill feelings toward anyone. He's not going to do what Favre did when he un-retired to beg for his job back. He still carries the attitude that he has been extremely blessed to have an opportunity to play in the NFL and knows it has to end some time.

Members online

Latest posts