Don Barclay agrees to RFA tender

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a good slow play by Thompson. He's not overpaying for a valuable cog in the machine. Barclay showed that he can start and play well-enough to not be a liability. You obviously would like to have studs waiting in the wings, but that's rarely the case. Barclay and Tretter should be a solid set of backups if and when we lose an OL starter to injury.

This was a small off-season move, but one that really bolsters the offensive roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good (and expected) news. The Packers return all the starters on what developed into a very good OL and both primary backups return as well and I’m sure newcomers will be added to compete for depth. IMO the biggest concern with Barclay is the knee he injured last season. According to McGinn, he tore the MCL in his right knee in 2013 before he tore the ACL in the same knee last year. I prefer both Tretter and Barclay inside so I'd like to see an OT added to compete for depth outside, but it's difficult to complain about the OL (it's been quite a while since I could post that).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
baring injuries, the offense is really in the best shape that it has been in recent memory. This includes starters and depth. Yes, some people are screaming for a better TE, but I'm stoked for this offense in 2015!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nice thing is the versatility. An injury at one position should mean we don't have to move three other people around. That is what bothered me the most on the Packers OL the last several years. It seemed like one injury and was like musical chairs shuffling people around. Adding an OT for depth would only make sense and would help even more in that regard.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that OT needs to be drafted in the 4th or 5th round, but agreed that it's about as solid as one could hope for in the world of free agency.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great move and as many of you have noted, expected. Guys like Don are the glue to good teams and more times than not championship teams have a Barclay'esque guy or two on them. He can fill in at multiple positions and play at a nice level regardless of where the need is. He is the guy you hope doesn't play (no offense) but rest a little easier knowing you have a true professional to step in should a injury occur. Also, everything I read portrays Don as a first-class guy which makes this signing even better in my eyes. Welcome back Don, welcome back!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled he's back. Allows Thompson & McCarthy to have much more roster flexibility and could mean that the only rookie OT's we'll see this year are UDFA's. Barclay if healthy is an excellent insurance policy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to spend a pick on an OT, hopefully one that can play OT in the NFL and not one switched inside. If Thompson could hit on another Bakhtiari in the fourth round, that would provide some insurance for Barclay's right knee and well worth a fourth rounder IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree with you TJV........you look at past history and we have gotten some quality lineman in the 4th and 5th rounds......Linsley (5th)....Bakhtiari (4th), Tretter (4th), Lang (4th), Sitton (4th). Last time we spent a higher pick (1st) on an O linemen, we got Sherrod.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to spend a pick on an OT, hopefully one that can play OT in the NFL and not one switched inside. If Thompson could hit on another Bakhtiari in the fourth round, that would provide some insurance for Barclay's right knee and well worth a fourth rounder IMO.
I would agree if one is BPA in 4th or 5th. With Barclay signed, it gives them space and isn't a must since it would appear that Tretter is being trained to play tackle too.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there's a huge need for the Packers to draft an offensive lineman this year with the entire starters returning and Barclay and Tretter as backups. If there's an OL available on day 3 being clearly the best player left on the board I'll be fine with the pick but there are other areas on the team in a bigger need of an upgrade.

Members online

Latest posts