Don Banks on Packers draft

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what SI's Don Banks had to say about the Packers' draft:

"Not much to get excited about this weekend if you're a Cheesehead. No Randy Moss. No Marshawn Lynch. No first-round receiver like Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem. Not even a first-round cornerback such as Darrelle Revis, Leon Hall or Aaron Ross was in the offing.

"When exactly did Green Bay get so stinking boring?"

I don't have a strong opinion on the draft, because I don't follow college football closely enough. I'm not sure if Banks' comments are a slam on Thompson or if they are tongue-in cheek. That last sentence could possibly be read as a comment on how the draft has come to be judged as entertainment by NFL fans.

I was initially disappointed that Thompson didn't draft anybody I'd heard of, not even in the first round, but I'm interested to see how it all pans out over the next couple years.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is on the negatve side but somewhat he says is true...TT drafted a lot of nobodies that we all hope will turn out good, no flashy playmaker that we could've had.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what any of us think, he does have a point. This team, like most organizations, has taken on the persona of it's leader.

All we watched all weekend was other franchises making moves, trading players, trading up, adding players they really thought would bring improvement to their team this season. All we watched all weekend was fans of the other teams yelling, screaming and cheering on their team's management and being excited about their team's chances in the coming year.

What did we see from the Packers? Fans booing a solid BPA pick and then going home. No interviews with team management, no scenes of ecstatic fans. Boring, boring, boring. When's the last time Ted or this team did anything exciting?

Let's face it, we've become the Green Bay Best Player Available Packers.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he be mad about corner? Safety was the big need and we added Rouse. Right now our DBs are Woodson, Harris, Frank Walker, Nick Collins, Aaron Rouse and one of Dendy/Bush/Culver/Manuel in the packages. That's a very solid group. I don't see Ginn or Meacham offering much more than what we have at WR now (DD, jennings, Clowney, K-Rob, James Jones, Martin/Holiday). Plus, we had an enormous hole at DT after pickett (if you don't believe me, watch the Seattle and Jets games). Getting Harrell plugs that right up.

Whenever you don't pick a guy the media knows/likes, they hate your draft. Yet, very few doing 1/100th the scouting that GB does.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he be mad about corner? Safety was the big need and we added Rouse. Right now our DBs are Woodson, Harris, Frank Walker, Nick Collins, Aaron Rouse and one of Dendy/Bush/Culver/Manuel in the packages. That's a very solid group. I don't see Ginn or Meacham offering much more than what we have at WR now (DD, jennings, Clowney, K-Rob, James Jones, Martin/Holiday). Plus, we had an enormous hole at DT after pickett (if you don't believe me, watch the Seattle and Jets games). Getting Harrell plugs that right up.

Whenever you don't pick a guy the media knows/likes, they hate your draft. Yet, very few doing 1/100th the scouting that GB does.

Don't forget about blackmon

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Blackmon I was at the draft party this weekend. We were sitting in the Legends room and a Packer Staff Member came in and said there was nobody waiting to get his and Moll's Autograph so we felt kinda bad for them and went down there..... Anyways I get down there and ask will "So you gonna beat out Frank Walker for the nickel spot?" Needless to say he didn't take too lightly to that and said "How do you know he ain't got to beat me out?" It was funny as hell. Also asked him about his foot and he says it's all good..... Maybe he's extra motivated this season after they signed Frank Walker.....

L

Lunchboxer

Man this is an old as dirt thread.

But hay TT Draft picks maybe boring but they Get the Job Done.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need for a flashy Bush type player only to get injured a majority of the career. I'd rather have a solid 10 year starter.

Members online

Latest posts