Don’t look now..

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear a lot of you praising the defense but they have allowed 18 STRAIGHT touchdowns to opposing teams when they enter the red zone. 18!! Not even holding teams to a FG attempt. That’s is absolutely terrible.

Meanwhile our red zone offense has been pitiful this year. Last year we were at the top in red zone touchdowns to towards the bottom now. I know it’s hard to throw the ball there, but they may want to consider giving more thought to running more play action or some of that jet sweep action. They got extremely lucky yesterday

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their redzone defense definitely needs work, but the defense overall played pretty well against a good offensive team when all was said and done.

The Bengals are a pretty decent team on both sides of the ball and we were down a lot of guys by the time we finished. We have things to figure out and work, no doubt, but maybe the Bengals were lucky the guy who had made 27 in a row missed at the end of the game?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The young offensive line is getting manhandled in the red zone on running plays. That should improve when Bakhtiari and Jenkins get back in the groove. On defense, coverage is still too soft in the red zone but overall, red zone defense is dreadful. Unless the red zone and special teams can improve, it's not a matter of if but when they will cost games. Next week the Bears game will likely be low scoring given their defense. The Packers defense will have to force some fg's to increase the chances of winning that game.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are most definitely catching the injury bug on both sides of the ball. If Alexander is done for the year then the secondary is in trouble. Not having Z is also hurting them I just don’t think he will play a snap again for Green Bay. He is a punishing force. I’m hoping jaylon comes in and balls out. I can see him playing some edge as well too. But secondary is gonna be what makes or breaks out down the rd. I’m also terrified what Kyler Murray, and Lamar Jackson are gonna do to the defense they might set a record for most rushing yards by a qb… Rodgers can go toe to toe with mahomes the chiefs defense blows. But staying healthy and as long as Rodgers and Adam’s are healthy too they will have a chance against Brady in the end. They are gonna have to go 14-3 to have a shot at the one seed and hope they get a tie breaker over the Bucs cuz the Bucs are gonna lose two more games max with there sorry *** schedule it’s gonna come down to beating Brady at some point again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear a lot of you praising the defense but they have allowed 18 STRAIGHT touchdowns to opposing teams when they enter the red zone. 18!! Not even holding teams to a FG attempt. That’s is absolutely terrible.

Yes because if you have a basketball team shooting 70% on a season through the first 1/4 of it - you would be an idiot to say the offense is doing well, merely because the team is shooting an abysmal 60% from the free throw line.....smh.....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
"I know some of you have rightly been praising an overall improved defense, but I don't like positivity so I found a negative stat!"

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
hear a lot of you praising the defense but they have allowed 18 STRAIGHT touchdowns to opposing teams when they enter the red zone. 18!! Not even holding teams to a FG attempt. That’s is absolutely terrible.

Meanwhile our red zone offense has been pitiful this year. Last year we were at the top in red zone touchdowns to towards the bottom now. I know it’s hard to throw the ball there, but they may want to consider giving more thought to running more play action or some of that jet sweep action. They got extremely lucky yesterday
Solution: Keep opposition out of the red zone. Three and outs are a football team's best friend. :)

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as RPO qb's I like Campbell in the middle to try and run em down. The loss of Jaire is glaring right now. Yiadom/King/Jean-Charles are all very bad options - hopefully Amos and Savage play better.

Reaction score
Hey. The great thing about being at the bottom. There’s nowhere to go but up! ;)

That said. Our Defense as a unit seems to be progressing forward week to week. Obviously the opening 3-38 road beating just destroyed all the stats.

We lost a Probowl quality pass rusher right out of the gate. You do that to any team in the NFL and they suffer. We are not immune. Then part way into our week 4 matchup we lose our best cover CB. Not just OUR best, but also one of the best perimeter CB’s in the league. You ****** both the best CB + best Pass Rusher from any NFL roster and the impact is felt immediately and severely.

One thing I’ll give this 2021 Defense is that they are resilient. In losing 2 of their best 3 Defensive players, they only took 1/2 step backwards. Other players stepped up. Even Kevin King played decent in his first week back. As much as we complain about him, we need the 2019 version of Kevin King badly. Also Amos has stepped up, the D front has played decent and Stokes has played admirably for a Rookie. Campbell is lights out good and Barnes is slightly better than last year.

Back to this Redzone % argument …

The Panthers
29th in Redzone %
2nd
in Redzone attempts
10th
in Passing TD
10th
in Rushing TD (tied w/GB)

In comparison

GB is:
32nd in Redzone %
6th
in Redzone attempts.
28th in Passing TD
10th
in Rushing TD (tied with/Carolina)

While bottom feeders in Redzone % (in company with GB) the Panthers are top 10 in every statistical D category other than Redzone %. Literally.

Carolina is:
3rd points allowed
Top 1 Passing yards
Top 8 Rushing yards

GB is:
19th in points allowed
Top 10 in Passing Yards
Top 11 in Rushing yards

While it is true that our Offense had dropped dramatically in Redzone TD %
(28th)
We are #10 in Redzone TD SCORED!
Meaning we get in the Redzone a ton.
Just imagine if that % drops to top 15! Well be like top 3 TD’s scored !

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey. The great thing about being at the bottom. There’s nowhere to go but up! ;)

That said. Our Defense as a unit seems to be progressing forward week to week. Obviously the opening 3-38 road beating just destroyed all the stats.

We lost a Probowl quality pass rusher right out of the gate. You do that to any team in the NFL and they suffer. We are not immune. Then part way into our week 4 matchup we lose our best cover CB. Not just OUR best, but also one of the best perimeter CB’s in the league. You ****** both the best CB + best Pass Rusher from any NFL roster and the impact is felt immediately and severely.

One thing I’ll give this 2021 Defense is that they are resilient. In losing 2 of their best 3 Defensive players, they only took 1/2 step backwards. Other players stepped up. Even Kevin King played decent in his first week back. As much as we complain about him, we need the 2019 version of Kevin King badly. Also Amos has stepped up, the D front has played decent and Stokes has played admirably for a Rookie. Campbell is lights out good and Barnes is slightly better than last year.

Back to this Redzone % argument …

The Panthers
29th in Redzone %
2nd
in Redzone attempts
10th
in Passing TD
10th
in Rushing TD (tied w/GB)

In comparison

GB is:
32nd in Redzone %
6th
in Redzone attempts.
28th in Passing TD
10th
in Rushing TD (tied with/Carolina)

While bottom feeders in Redzone % (in company with GB) the Panthers are top 10 in every statistical D category other than Redzone %. Literally.

Carolina is:
3rd points allowed
Top 1 Passing yards
Top 8 Rushing yards

GB is:
19th in points allowed
Top 10 in Passing Yards
Top 11 in Rushing yards

While it is true that the Offense had dropped dramatically in Redzone TD %
(28th)
We are #10 in Redzone TD SCORED!
Meaning we get in the Redzone a ton.
Just imagine if that % drops to top 15! Well be like top 3 TD’s scored !
That's all really weird.

Reaction score
What it said to me is that GB doesn’t give up lots of long TD’s (based on their #10 passing yards rating) or really many yards EXCEPT in goal to go type scenarios. They are a pretty stout D until the opponent gets inside the 20. Also the sample size is really low. We have to remember that the Saints average starting Field position was the GB 45 yard line. Very few Defenses can withstand that field position on a regular basis. I’m just picking that from memory because I saw it as an anomaly. The Saints had “gifts” all day long.
Winston had 150 yards passing and they scored 38 points?
Aaron Rodgers passed for 37 more yards than Winston and scored 3 points.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
When the title of the thread said "don't look now", I immediately looked. I was sad to find out it was about redzone offense and defense.

Reaction score
Yes. I took the bait also.

There’s always some sports reporter that peels away dozens of perfectly good onion layers looking for a defect in the onion….
so they can cry “Onion”. :cry::cry:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The defense has definitely improved, you have to reward any improvement. Are they elite? Not even close, but they ARE better. You still praise a puppy for peeing outside even though it still occasionally pees inside; same with the defense, sure they poop the bed sometimes but now they sometime DON'T poop the bed!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious ....... is pooping the bed, giving up a touchdown? That would mean that every defense in the history of the NFL pooped the bed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers are 2nd best in the NFL at limiting big plays.

They've only allowed 11 plays of 20+ yards through 5 games.

Naturally, because I've cited one positive stat, we will all agree that Joe Barry's defense is awesome.

Reaction score
The Packers are 2nd best in the NFL at limiting big plays.

They've only allowed 11 plays of 20+ yards through 5 games.

Naturally, because I've cited one positive stat, we will all agree that Joe Barry's defense is awesome.
Yes! One things for definite positive
He’s either a smart feller or a fart smeller one or the other (Shout out to my late Grandma Fritzy she used that on me and often)

Reaction score
The defense has definitely improved, you have to reward any improvement. Are they elite? Not even close, but they ARE better. You still praise a puppy for peeing outside even though it still occasionally pees inside; same with the defense, sure they poop the bed sometimes but now they sometime DON'T poop the bed!
We need you to give them a locker room speech pre Bears! If that don’t get them pooping outside?
I don’t know what else we can do. :poop::tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you're saying I should get a bear? because they **** in the woods, not on your floor.

Members online

Latest posts