Dom Capers under contract?

michaelturi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been reported that Dom Capers wants another shot at a head coaching job, but since the only opening is at the Raiders, and who in there right mind would want to coach the raiders, do we get to keep him. I can only find conflicting info about his current contract and no word about talks with the packers on a new contract. Does anyone have an update?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raiders don't have an opening, it was filled by Hue Jackman like 3-4 weeks ago...and from everything I've heard and read is that Capers doesn't want to be a HC again, he wants to follow LeBeau's example and stay a DC.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Sounds like a load of bull-****.

The Raiders just hired a new coach, they have no opening, and I believe Capers wants to stay with us, he just won the Super Bowl, why not?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen nothing indicating Capers wants to be a head coach again. Do you have a link?

As far as I know, ALL head coaching vacancies have been filled.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
As with everything else on the internet, I don't believe you unless you have a link.

I've heard literally nothing about this. And considering I live in the Green Bay media market, it'd be in the paper or on the news.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They talked about Rod Woodson coaching Oakland's secondary but not Dom Capers going there. They already have a head coach and DC!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah Rod Woodson got hired today to coach the 9er's LB's. Capers 60, in a plush job and has had his hand at the HC position 2x and came up short both times...he won a SB with us, he isn't going anywhere

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I heard he would like to be a HC again someday as well. If we win next season I would expect a very large offer to come in for him.

Ill talk to some coaches and see where they think he is leaning. But sometimes coaches dont really have a better idea than fans do. I asked a coach about a year ago what he thought of MM and he said "jury is still out I would say but as a person I like him."

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because Dom Capers has come and brought fire to our defense doesn't mean he's going to be on the top of the list for head coaching positions.

1. Most people around the league are going to give Ted Thompson the credit for bringing in the players that star for the unit. Sure Dom Capers took the players and put them in a position to be elite, but put Capers in a position where he's the head coach, overseeing everything, working with the GM, or making the decisions himself, minds around the league know he's not likely going to replicate what's happened in GB elsewhere because he wouldn't be able to replicate the talent that's needed and the talent that's in GB now.

2. Dom Capers has been a head coach before, he's kind of cycled out. Not often do guys come back from the dead, like a Chan Gailey, but Gailey was brought in because of his offensive skill, more franchises go along those lines than with a defensive guy.

3. Franchises are hiring younger, 'new' guys. A lot of franchises want to bring in a newer, hot name, and surround him with guys like Capers who are experienced. There's a reason why the Steelers hiring Tomlin, and didn't make **** Labeau HC, or why we didn't hire Dom Capers to coach the team in the first place and hired Mike McCarthy, then brought in Capers, etc.

So really despite all Capers success, he's been around, he's a defensive guy, he's an older guy. He has a lot working against him. Working in GB might not be glamorous, but I'd like to believe he's comfortable here and wants to stay for a while. I think he too realizes the HC gigs just won't be there.

I wouldn't worry much guys, why you might ask? There's not an older, defensive, re-tread head coach in the NFL right now. It's not a popular HC mold right now.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus he already had a chance with Houston and it did not work out that well! He is also on the older side to be a HC!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Plus, capers gets to be the OC from a booth! No cold sidelines for him. So the cold hopefully won't drive him away.

OP
OP
M

michaelturi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Immediately after the Super Bowl the Packers announced contract extensions for TT and MM and they still had a couple of years on existing contract. I have heard nothing on a new contract for Dom Capers and I believe he is now not under contract. My feeling is he is the MVP of the season, well maybe co-MVP along with Rodgers. NFL teams pay huge dollars to players that sit on the sidelines, If it takes head coach dollars (2.5-3 Million)to keep Capers I think it would be money very well spent. Why did the Packers not extend Capers contract months ago or last year?

Michael

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Immediately after the Super Bowl the Packers announced contract extensions for TT and MM and they still had a couple of years on existing contract. I have heard nothing on a new contract for Dom Capers and I believe he is now not under contract. My feeling is he is the MVP of the season, well maybe co-MVP along with Rodgers. NFL teams pay huge dollars to players that sit on the sidelines, If it takes head coach dollars (2.5-3 Million)to keep Capers I think it would be money very well spent. Why did the Packers not extend Capers contract months ago or last year?

Michael

do you have a solid link saying he isnt under contract?

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a DC for sure. He doesnt have the HC aaura around him. And hes worked hard to get the Packs 3-4. Perfect players make it work. Cant see him leaving.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oakland-raiders

While the two favorites for the position of defensive coordinator are Green Bay Packers coaches Winston Moss and Darren Perry.............................................

Now that the season is finally over, Raiders will complete coaching staff - Oakland Oakland Raiders | Examiner.com

Oakland just signed Hue Jackson to be their head coach.

Not only that, but it's doubtful Capers or any other self-respecting head coach would go there, knowing how bat-**** crazy Al Davis is.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland just signed Hue Jackson to be their head coach.

Not only that, but it's doubtful Capers or any other self-respecting head coach would go there, knowing how bat-**** crazy Al Davis is.

While the two favorites for the position of defensive coordinator are Green Bay Packers coaches Winston Moss and Darren Perry.............................................

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry coached in Oakland for two years directly before coming to GB, presumably to work with Capers, whom he played for in Pittsburgh. Unless he's desperate to advance at this point in his career, I would think he'd be inclined to stay in GB for a while, if for no other reasons than to learn more from Dom and to make his resume' more attractive for the future. Seems like the smart move to me.

Moss on the other hand, I don't know. He may be ready to take on a DC position.

Members online

Latest posts