Dom Capers reevaluates how to cover Vikings QB Brett Favre

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers reevaluates how to cover Vikings QB Brett Favre | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

One thing is for sure as the Green Bay Packers prepare for the Minnesota Vikings this week: Defensive coordinator Dom Capers has to find a better way to defend Brett Favre.

Last year, Capers went coverage-oriented instead of blitz heavy in both games of the Vikings’ crucial season sweep. He did it in part to defend halfback Adrian Peterson, in part because of injuries at safety, and in part because of concern that Favre was too likely to gash blitzes for backbreaking plays

In the two games combined, Minnesota put up 68 points and Favre was the difference: seven touchdown passes, no interceptions and a passer rating of 135.9 points.

That on the surface should incline Capers toward using more pressure this time.

“I don’t know what Dom has in mind, I have no idea,” defensive end Ryan Pickett said. “But I’m sure it will be something different than what we did.”

On the other hand, Minnesota hasn’t been the same offensive power this season as last, and its offensive line has had serious issues protecting Favre.

The Vikings, who finished second in the NFL in scoring last year, are tied for No. 26 this season for several reasons.

Favre at 41 is showing his age more than last year, and that’s been compounded by tendinitis in his throwing arm that materially hurt his passing accuracy against the New York Jets two weeks ago. He had a cortisone injection last week, and his arm was feeling good enough Wednesday in practice that he abandoned the protective sleeve in practice he wore last week.

“I would say at this point it’s gotten a little bit better than it was a couple weeks ago,” Favre said in a conference call with reporters in Green Bay. “It was obviously bad enough to take a cortisone injection, but right now I feel like it’s not a hindrance at all.”

Regardless, Favre’s 72.1 passer rating ranks No. 28 in the NFL, and he’s already thrown as many interceptions (seven) as all of last season playing behind a leaky offensive line and without his favorite receiver, Sidney Rice.

The decline of the Vikings’ offensive line has been as big an issue as any. Both tackles, Phil Loadholdt on the right side and Bryant McKinnie on the left, have been shaky, and Favre has taken a beating through five games. He’s been sacked 13 times, which is a pace of 42 sacks for the season. Last year he was sacked 34 times.

In the two games in ’09, the Packers didn’t sack Favre at all using mostly coverage-oriented calls, but after having watched this year’s game tapes Capers might have decided he can get to Favre without having to blitz. Conversely, he might blitz more if he thinks Favre’s reactions have slowed to where he’s less likely to hit on a big play, or in an effort to hit Favre so that in the second half he’s like a worn out old fighter who’s taken too many body blows.

“You obviously have to get pressure on the guy, you have to disrupt him,” cornerback Tramon Williams said. “If not, it’s going to be a long day, just like last year.”

Clay Matthews’ status also will play a major role. Matthews, who leads the NFL in sacks with 8½, looks like he has a good chance of playing Sunday after missing last week’s game against Miami because of a recurring hamstring injury. His profound impact on the Packers’ defense has been obvious in the five-plus quarters he’s missed, and as a potential mismatch against Loadholdt or McKinnie he probably would command regular double teams.

But Capers will have to be just as attuned to defending Peterson, a premier halfback who is averaging 25.4 touches a game and 4.9 yards a carry.

Last year, the Vikings force-fed Peterson with 25 runs in each game against the Packers. His 3.0-yard average and 152 rushing yards combined was more than manageable but came at the expense of Favre’s difference-making play.

The Vikings often use a three-receiver lineup, which will get the Packers out of their stout 3-4 front and into a nickel defense that’s more vulnerable to the run. The Packers also might not have Pickett, a formidable run defender who hasn’t played the last two games because of a badly sprained ankle. However, nose tackle B.J. Raji has become one of their better defensive players after a low-impact rookie season that was diminished by an ankle injury the first half of the year.

Peterson has been even more of the focus of the Vikings’ offense this year than last, and Minnesota figures to use him extensively Sunday — last week against Dallas, the Vikings appeared to be protecting Favre’s sore arm, because he threw only 19 passes. So Capers’ plan still has to start with the run, which is why Minnesota can be difficult to defend if Favre is playing well.

“We have to find a way to stop (Peterson) and at the same time keep our hair on fire and get to Favre,” Pickett said.

Favre also has been hurt by Rice’s season-long absence, though now that Randy Moss is in his third game with the team, his on-field rapport with Favre could click at any time. Rice, who had hip surgery in training camp and probably won’t be back for several more weeks, caught 83 passes last season and was an especially attractive target for Favre because of his ability at 6-feet-4 to get jump-ball throws.

Moss has nine receptions in his two games with the Vikings and is the best at the NFL catching the deep, contested pass. Flanker Percy Harvin also has become a bigger part of the offense in his second season (team-high 20 receptions).

“I’m even more impressed with (Moss) as I’ve gotten a chance to work with him and how intelligent he is,” Favre said. “Randy’s Randy, and he has his moments, but he’s such a dynamic player.”

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Dom Capers defenses have never beaten Brett Favre. I think this article states the obvious; that is, he HAS to do something differently than he has ever done against Favre. I thought it was funny how the article basically says; He'll do it by blitzing or not blitzing. I read that and went "duh" in my mind.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is probably really naive of me. But why doesn't Capers study the Jets/Vikings game tapes to see how to stop them? It seems to me the Jets gave a pretty good blue print of what to do. Put C. Wood on Moss all night and mix the defense around a lot just pre-snap so Favre can't read who's coming and who isn't.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably really naive of me. But why doesn't Capers study the Jets/Vikings game tapes to see how to stop them? It seems to me the Jets gave a pretty good blue print of what to do. Put C. Wood on Moss all night and mix the defense around a lot just pre-snap so Favre can't read who's coming and who isn't.

I am pretty sure Capers is looking at that game tape. The Packers also better look to help Bulaga this week. I think we need to let Rodgers get out of the pocket to use his feet and pick up first downs too instead of the having a 3rd down conversion ratio that is totally pathetic.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly last year i was so furstrated with both vikings games because our D played entirely different from normal, and i think thats why we lost. we didnt pressure at all, and so he had all day. ON PURPOSE.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definately take a 15 yarder if it didnt make a difference in the game haha, it just might be worth it! ha

Also, if Bigby does play, I can see him with a helmet to helmet.. He's one that 'missels' himself, but it sure is fun to watch!

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man last year pissed me off so much, we need both games this year I say we should live by the blitz die by the blitz make old favre throw some toss ups. Let al stick it to percy show him what a jam is.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre hasnt handled the blitz well as of late, we need to get at him with some exotic packages and put the hurt one him, it will force him to make stupid throws

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'm more worried about our offense getting it's **** in gear. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes did put up a decent amount of points. We should be at least matching it.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Favre doesn't plan on whining his silly little head off to the refs anytime a Packer gets within a 2 foot radius of his precious self. ....They're animals, I tell you!!!!!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe every Packer fan can kick in a few bucks and pay for any fines Clay gets from the NFL?
I EXPECT the unnecessary roughness call. In fact, I DEMAND it. But it need to be timed right.
It just can't happen when we're stopping them. It needs to happen early in the game, to send a message.

I want Favre to be hit hard and often. No need to LT on Theismann, but get the old man bruised up! It's football, *********!!!! Not ballet.

BTW, Capers has NEVER won against Favre. NEVER. So...

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I EXPECT the unnecessary roughness call. In fact, I DEMAND it. But it need to be timed right.
It just can't happen when we're stopping them. It needs to happen early in the game, to send a message.

I want Favre to be hit hard and often. No need to LT on Theismann, but get the old man bruised up! It's football, *********!!!! Not ballet.

BTW, Capers has NEVER won against Favre. NEVER. So...
There is always a first time for everything. And if Dom doesnt **** his brains out for breakfast on Sunday like he did twice last year it should be ok. Like you said hit Favre early and often and itll put him into freak out mode like it always does. If someone is gonna draw the penalty tho let it be someone we can stand to lose for a game and not someone like Clay or Chuck

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I hope Favre doesn't plan on whining his silly little head off to the refs anytime a Packer gets within a 2 foot radius of his precious self. ....They're animals, I tell you!!!!!!

I'll give him this much. I don't remember him ever whining to refs about the hits on him. His team might, but if I recall, he used to get up and get right in the face of whoever hit him. Sometimes he'll even jump up and smack em on the butt.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give him this much. I don't remember him every whining to refs about the hits on him. His team might, but if I recall, he used to get up and get right in the face of whoever hit him. Sometimes he'll even jump up and smack em on the butt.

Yup that is actually one thing about him that is awesome

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give him this much. I don't remember him every whining to refs about the hits on him. His team might, but if I recall, he used to get up and get right in the face of whoever hit him. Sometimes he'll even jump up and smack em on the butt.

Thanks for that! I guess I will concede him that too! But we shall see Sunday night! :happy0005:

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as that roghness call doesn't include a helmet shot and get Matthews ejected from the game

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as that roughness call doesn't have any helmet to helmet and get him ejected.:viksux:
That would be something. Rodgers is hit in the helmet every single game, and there's never even a flag.
And in the first game that the league decides to punish more severely helmet-to-helmet hits, a Packers player is ejected.

I THINK that would make me take a shotgun and fly to the NFL headquarters. Not that I condone violence in any way.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be something. Rodgers is hit in the helmet every single game, and there's never even a flag.
And in the first game that the league decides to punish more severely helmet-to-helmet hits, a Packers player is ejected.

I THINK that would make me take a shotgun and fly to the NFL headquarters. Not that I condone violence in any way.
Yea it is getting out of hand what is looked over when it happens to the Packers, and what is called against us.

Members online

Latest posts