Does TT stand for "Thumb up ****"

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am having trouble seeing the direction we are going here. Green was very valuable and although very overpaid we could have signed him earlier for less if we made a decent offer. Now what do we do. With our current running backs most teams will lay back and play pass. The only decent free agent left is Dillon and I think he will cost as much as Green would have and no longer is as good a player. We seem to be doing nothing to upgrade.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If you're having trouble seeing where we are going you are not looking hard enough.

Ted is doing good by NOT overpaying for players. As many GM's are doing the same.

It sucks to lose Ahman and William, for sure, but it was going to happen no matter what we did. Maybe not this year, but next or the following. William could be re-signed too.

Ted is doing what is best for the Packers and fans appreciate it. I hope you see the light. I know it sucks not having 4 big named free agents even VISIT the Packers, but when you know they are being over priced, why waste your resources?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not a Ted & Company fan what so ever, but I have to say I agree with the money that was thrown at Green you couldn't sign him to that deal. Should of he... it really doesn't matter at this point. We better obtain either a WR or RB in free agency and fill the other slot in round one. I still say Joe Horn would be a great fit for a year to two. That leaves us open to the Best available RB in the draft.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lemme see here, pax....Green would wear the G&G for up to $2 million a year less (what he is reasonably worth) than that oversized, panic for a RB contract he signed in Houston? I don't think so.

Sad reality of the modern NFL....all of our favorites will leave at some point...with only a few spending their entire time as a Packer. Remember when Timmerman left...the fan panic...(fan + panic = fanic...I like it!) and all we had to endure was years of great service by his replacement, Marco Rivera.

Green will be replaced, and ther is no way in hell he wa coming back after receiving THAT contract.

Oh, yeah.....Mr. "Thumb up ****" did the same thing last year...by "same thing" I mean not peeing himself and panicking to overpay FAs.... and all he did was land Kampmann, Pickett and Woodson who performed up to and beyond their contracts without being overpaid.

Such foolishness.....I want cap hell from consistently overpaying FAs who typically disappoint and leave you holding their bag...bag full of contract debt, that is.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't believe how much these lineman are getting. 7 million a year for guys slightly above average guards??? its insane

i like TT's approach. i really think tt is waiting to throw out money at FA til the whole moss situation is resolved. he needs to figure out if we are in fact going to get moss or what.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the deals thus far are off the charts. Not only are they unreal and unjustified in most cases, but they will cause difficulty down the road with other core players that you wish to retain as they look to see what journeymen are making.

I still expect GB will make several moves in FA and through trades, while also augmenting through the draft.

Let's wait to judge until September when all moves have been made and the dust has settled. At that point, we will be in a better position to judge whether Thompson has had a good or bad offseason.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same fan panic as last year...and all the team did was win 8 games when they were expected to do about half that by most keen observers.

For shame, TT...for shame!!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the cost of replacing players has risen so high, we need to spread out what is no longer big FA money. Tieing up a huge amount in one player, i.e. Moss, would be a monumental mistake. He's NOT the player he was in Minny. We've got to face it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lemme see here, pax....Green would wear the G&G for up to $2 million a year less (what he is reasonably worth) than that oversized, panic for a RB contract he signed in Houston? I don't think so.

Sad reality of the modern NFL....all of our favorites will leave at some point...with only a few spending their entire time as a Packer. Remember when Timmerman left...the fan panic...(fan + panic = fanic...I like it!) and all we had to endure was years of great service by his replacement, Marco Rivera.

Green will be replaced, and ther is no way in hell he wa coming back after receiving THAT contract.

Oh, yeah.....Mr. "Thumb up ****" did the same thing last year...by "same thing" I mean not peeing himself and panicking to overpay FAs.... and all he did was land Kampmann, Pickett and Woodson who performed up to and beyond their contracts without being overpaid.

Such foolishness.....I want cap hell from consistently overpaying FAs who typically disappoint and leave you holding their bag...bag full of contract debt, that is.
GREAT post Digs!
Today its RARE when a player plays his full career in one place. As it was, we got Green fron Seattle. He WAS a really good player, but is on the downside of his career. Even 6 mill would have been too much in my view.
We have been lucky to see Brett Favre play as many years here as he has. MOST players would have jumped to another team for even more millions then he is getting here.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Great post, but Woodson got a kings ransom to play last year, albeit TT pushed alot of money into the fiscal year for cap purposes. But he did play well, I hope he doesn't forget that he got all that money in '06:)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone forget that we extended Cullen Jenkins and Al Harris?

I thought those were two key move thus far.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone forget that we extended Cullen Jenkins and Al Harris?

I thought those were two key move thus far.
I didn't forget Porky!
These signings don't get the big attention though, as they were not big name players on a different team.
They DO deserve the attention in my opinion! I'm glad you brought them up!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now start working with Corey Williams. He, like Jenkins, has gotten significantly better each and every year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now start working with Corey Williams. He, like Jenkins, has gotten significantly better each and every year.

Good point with Williams.

To put a better perspective on why Thompson is doing the right thing right now. If the Packers go out and spend-spend-spend like the 49ers then that leaves little cap room for the players currently on the roster. Guys like Nick Barnett, Corey Williams, and Nick Collins. All whom could be do a raise in the coming years.

An overlooked fact. In less than a year Thompson has locked up Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins, and Al Harris. He also managed to resign Aaron Kampman as well.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

Good point with Williams.

To put a better perspective on why Thompson is doing the right thing right now. If the Packers go out and spend-spend-spend like the 49ers then that leaves little cap room for the players currently on the roster. Guys like Nick Barnett, Corey Williams, and Nick Collins. All whom could be do a raise in the coming years.

An overlooked fact. In less than a year Thompson has locked up Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins, and Al Harris. He also managed to resign Aaron Kampman as well.

Let me ask you all a question.

Could it just possibly be that many GM's out there are feeling a lot of pressure to get something done now? That maybe they feel if they don't do something they are gone?

If so, could it be that signing players they think will help them win NOW may just be more important than what it does to the team say two or three years down the road?

Because something just aint right here boys. There's guys being signed to contracts FAR and BEYOND what they are worth.

They aren't going to take these teams to the SB by themselves.

But they damn sure are being paid like it.

Realistically look at how many of these deals will be considered successes vs. failures two to three years down the road. Because right now I see a lot of disasters down the road from all of this craziness.

Then decide if TT is doing the right thing holding off for now.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfectly stated, warhawk. The heat is on GMs to do something...anything...and they are paying for that mindset.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am having trouble seeing the direction we are going here. Green was very valuable and although very overpaid we could have signed him earlier for less if we made a decent offer. Now what do we do. With our current running backs most teams will lay back and play pass. The only decent free agent left is Dillon and I think he will cost as much as Green would have and no longer is as good a player. We seem to be doing nothing to upgrade.

I agree totally....There are way too many dillusional people on here that feel we have good enough RB's on our roster to compete , because we dont.....I dont care how much hype they have, they cant take us where we need to go.....The market for big name players is huge this year and we are letting them all slip waya...WHO you ask?

TRY---- london fletcher baker, thomas jones , dre bly, ahman green, travis henry, joey porter, adalius thomas, willis magahee, randy moss, jeff garcia, lavar arrington, nate clements....

Granted some of these players are not in the positions we need but this year has been a huge market and these players are all available or on trading blocks... Problem is TT wont spend any dough or offer trades...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think it's delusional to think that just because nothing has been done YET, that means doom and gloom for the Packers.
Just because TT hasn't got all the pieces in place right now doesn't mean he doesn't intend to take care of them. It's too early to get so worked up about what is being seen as a problem, when the season is still very far away.
If it gets to mini camp, and nothing has been done, THEN i will panic.
Now, it's just getting yourself worked up over "what if's?"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think it's delusional to think that just because nothing has been done YET, that means doom and gloom for the Packers.
Just because TT hasn't got all the pieces in place right now doesn't mean he doesn't intend to take care of them. It's too early to get so worked up about what is being seen as a problem, when the season is still very far away.

It's delusional to consider player under contract in the free agency pool. :rubeyes:

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

It's delusional to consider player under contract in the free agency pool. :rubeyes:

!!!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for randy moss...If brett wants him we should give him to him...bretts knows more about football than any of us and in my opinion TT as well...So we should listen to brett.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

RETARD no one said FA pool in this thread.....He is on the block, thus available through trade...DUH!!!!!

Way to insult a mod. How about some football related responses instead of some 5th grade talk.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, TT hasn't given me any reason NOT to trust him so far. Yeah, he didn't pay Ahman Green a million dollars, but i wouldn't have wanted him too either.
I also don't think insulting each other gets us anywhere either. In the end, the Packers are gonna do what they are gonna do, reguardless of our opinions.
So why start difficulties between each other on here, that will last long after next season is over?
All any of us have are opinions. They are just OUR point of view. Some will end up being right, others wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts