Does This Season

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make Favre even hungrier to come back or does it destroy his desire.

I personally hope he comes back but you never know

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were getting blown out, I think he would probably quit. But since they are in almost every game, and since he'll get Walker back next year, I think he will come back to try and go out after a winning season.

Despite the losses, I think the improvement with the defense under Bates and youngsters like Gado and Collins improving, there are some things for Favre to like about the team too. I'm still eager to see what we have in Terrence Murphy too before he got injured. With Walker, Driver, and Murphy, we could have some decent weapons on offense next year.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree w/ a lot of what you say AZPF, plus, I've heard (but haven't looked this up) that the Pack are supposed to have a lot of cap space next yr, plus a high draft, and a team that is always just good enough not to win (meaning not too far from being a good team, IMO)...and you have reason to return.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Arizona..

TT needs to also sign a "quality" veteran receiver...

You can't trust to "rookies" developing like Sherman did...

Look at how Ferguson turned out....He's a bust in my book....

(need somebody to complement Walker and Driver..)

(also..you don't know how Walker is going to be after this injury...very sketchy situation at receiver position next year...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, the Pack66, "all eggs in one basket" logic. Lets just get 8 all pro receivers and neglect the rest of the team's needs because all that's important is padding Brett's stats.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No musscy..

I'd just rather see some talent at the skill positions..rather than the mediocre suckasses that Sherman had signed...

You see what having poor quality receivers does to a team..don't you now?

Oh..wait..I forgot..you don't see that...you just blame it all on Brett....

(Good thing your not the GM..)

"Padding his stats"..? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard..Is that why you think Brett is still around...? (I wish there was an avatar for shaking my head in disgust...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When healthy, JW and DD are one of the better wr combos in the league. You are right that we need to be concerned w/ Walker's health, but also, at some point you just need to hope you've got that area covered. You can't have 25 million invested as a security blanket at every position...the Pack needs to spend $$$ to solidify the interior O-line, get a pass rusher, rb, etc. as well.

A Koren Robinson type of veteran/pick up? Sure, fine, that makes sense...it's cheap, and may be a good buffer until Murphy (for example) becomes more reliable, but someone like Burress (like you've suggested) isn't feasible.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what happened after that fiasco of a season. Well, Ron Wolf was brought in and Lindy was fired and replaced by a coach who actually posessed a pair of balls and a spine. A coach who didn't confuse or convolute "great effort" with success in the form of wins. A coach who actually held players accountable for their actions, or lack thereof. A coach who demanded THE MOST from his most important player...Brett Favre...and got it!

Mike Sherman is nothing more than Lindy Infante with a mean cronyism streak. The equivocating of effort to success, the puzzled look during games, the defensiveness in the face of honest critique, the inability to guide a team in rough waters (any idiot can ride talent and success......pretty much what Sherman has done...). The measure of a good coach is facing adversity and meeting the challenge...something that MS/TR have failed at repeatedly and remarkably.

Damn, as Yogi so eloquently said, "it's deja vu all over again."

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Make Favre even hungrier to come back or does it destroy his desire.

I personally hope he comes back but you never know
Well he said that the record of the team would not detirmine him coming back. And thank god or else he wouldnt be back. I really dont have any doubts that he will return next year and have a big season with Walker and a good running back.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is history. He SHOULDN'T come back. Javon Walker and A. Green wouldn't help his problem. He's losing his skills, something that happens to every professional football player.

I'd like to point out to digsthepack that the man with spine and balls had Mike Sherman as his offensive coordinator in Seattle. So either Holmgren wasn't as smart as you think, or Sherman was highly thought of by the guy who took us to two Super Bowls.

Lindy Infante produced a series of jokes called teams. Infante had one good year, then lost control of the team. Doesn't sound like this team, does it?

Mike Mullarkey....the new wiz kid a few years ago...is going to get the boot in Buffalo. Seems like change doesn't always produce success, does it?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I judge Sherman's capacity as a OC, net? No, I did not. I judged his performance as the HC of the Packers. Please do not confuse the two. There are many excellent coordinators who do not possess the skills to be a HC. Sherman is clearly one of them.

Did I suggest he has lost his team? Again, no, I did not. To his credit, the ethic of the players, or both, the Packers continue to play hard.....and lose.

Do I care about all the other past "whiz kids" and soon to be wash outs in the HC ranks? No, net, again I do not. I only care about the Packers and their current situation.

Please, let's stay on topic.

Topic is: Sherman's failure(s) as HC of the Packers. Pick your issue well, there are many to choose from over the past 5 years.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Net..

How successful was Holmgren with Mikey as OC in Seattle? He wasn't there very long, was he? Also..I doubt they had the stench of Rossley stinking up the booth...

How's Holmgren doing now? Pretty well...and Seattle's defense looked pretty good last night...oh, wait a minute...wouldn't that be Ray Rhodes who gets the credit for that?

And i've got another fact for you..net..Favre isn't losing skills...just skilled players. And with every post I question your loyalty to the Packers and your knowledge of the game of football...and wonder if you are really just a ****** in disguise..

But what the hell..it's a free forum...and your opinion..(however bizarre)..is welcome...

(I guess you wouldn't mind seeing Favre in another uniform next year..??)

Do you honestly think that Aaron Rodger and SherRossley are the future of the Packers even if Favre retires?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have to go easy on net..i think..

He's getting shrill because he can see the writing on the wall regarding SherRossley and it's beginning to twist his melon....The emperor has no clothes..and it's hard for some guys to accept...

But to attack Favre..net..even I that's pretty low..

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, net...let's see how Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer and all the other top QBs perform with the talent Favre is forced to work with week in, week out. Compound the talent issue with the lame-brained gameplans and gametime decisions of Mike Sherman and his detatched Siamese twin, Tom Rossley.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre still has the tools, there is no question....the only thing I ask is this, "was it Sherman's gameplan for Favre to chuck the ball up in the air at the goal line when the Packers are clinging to a one point lead only to have it picked off and returned so the Bears subsequently put points on the board?" Easy question and I'm looking for the answer...was it Sherman's fault?

Oh, and by the way, before anyone accuses me of being a Sherman supporter, I want to see the guy gone as soon as a better coach can be obtained. OK, let the answers pour in...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDpackerfan is right...and...

Nobody is denying that Brett is lacking talent, but HE NEEDS TO RECOGNIZE THAT!!! He has always relied on his wrs to make plays on some prayers that he throws up, but they obviously can't this year, so part of that responsiblity lies square on Brett's shoulders to be more responsible and limit the gunslinging approach. If you have to take a sack, throw it out of bounds or underneath instead of into triple coverage (last pick in philly) so be it.

The rest of the team is not able to overcome his mistakes like they could through the 90s and early 2000s

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it was a bad decision by Favre. And I think much of his problem is an acceptance of the stupid by this staff because he HAS bailed them out so often in the past with his daring-do. Take away the talent he previously possessed, and a modest erosion of skills (still a top 5 - 6 QB) and those game-saving plays now become game-killing plays.

Now, if the coaches had properly scouted the Bears, they would know you take any point you can as the offense is horrible, and minimize the potential for big plays by the defense. Had all the hallmarks of a game that should have been ball control (only getting 4.5 yards/carry when MS/TR pulled the plug on the running game) with passing as necessary to keep defense honest. Rather, we get the inverse.

In a nutshell, we should have run the ball and taken the 3 points to put us up by 4 points. Make Kyle Orton beat us, not the bad **** defense. Sherman and his detatched Siamese twin, Tom Rossley, played right into the Bears strengths, and to our weakness.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a pretty big MS apologist, but Digs is right. The run was working, so roll w/ it, esp. vs. the Bears for the reasons mentioned.

Now if they were only getting 2/carry, maybe, MAYBE, then switch to pass-o-rama like we saw, but that wasn't the case on sunday. I can't believe I'm saying this, but on Sun, Gado was the Pack's best option!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ND..Musscy..Digs..

Please keep up with the arguments...Brett already owned up to that one...

He said he was trying to throw it "out of the endzone.." when he was hit and he didn't get enough on it...

So..the offensive line contributed to that one..somewhat..

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know he tried to throw it out, and yes the offensive line blew it, but he obviously wasn't able to throw it away...take the sack. A 27 yard field goal is a lot more makeable than a 112 yard field goal, esp. when the bears have the football.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
easier said..then done Musscy...

Do you know how fast things happen out there...?

What if he took the sack and Longwell missed the FG..?

Members online

Latest posts