Does the Pack need a Tight End?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet that the Packers could get the Hawkeyes big TE Scott Chandler in a later round. Yes he is from Iowa and his senior year does not look as good as his Junior, but he is still having a great year. He can catch and block exceptionally well. He is 6''7, 257 pounds so size is not a matter.

year/rec/yards/TD
2006/41/530/5
2005/47/552/2

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering McCarthy's fondness for tight ends, I'm sure he will be requesting more help in that area from Thompson. This Iowa guy seems to fit the bill, as the Packers can't afford to spend a high pick on a tight end.

Bubba Franks is the only TE who is sure to be back next year, and it's more because of his contract than his performance. He is doing a fine job blocking, however. He has just gotten out of synch with the passing game because the ball is coming his way so seldom these days.

David Martin will be a free agent. I don't expect him to draw much interest considering his injury history, but you never know. A team like the Lions will sometimes make a surprising offer to a player like that.

Donald Lee doesn't seem to fit McCarthy's scheme very well, so I suspect he will be gone next year in spite of his receiving talents. And Tory Humphrey is an unknown who will remain that way for at least another year, as he was put on injured reserve this week.

I have heard good things about Zach Alcorn, who was just promoted from the practice squad this week, and I expect him to definitely be in the mix next year. I would like to see him get some game action this season.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd rather have martin than franks. bubba has really declined at a position where players are usually productive well into there mid 30s

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba is a great blocker but a poor pass receiver. A great blocking TE isn't worth the kind of money he is making right now. I think GB could use another solid TE. I heard they were high on Troy Humphrey and expect some nice things from him next year.

Thought a TE is definately a need. I'd like to see Daniel Graham in green and gold next year. He's a free agent I believe.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems Bubba had a tough year, but I like him as a player. Im not sure you can just get rid of someone with his ability after one poor season. JMTC

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Olsen from University of Miami has declared for the draft so he mite be worth a 2nd round pick on.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is safe from being cut due to a high contract. GB has plenty of money under the cap to be able to cut any player they feel isn't getting the job done and Franks falls into that category.

As for TE, I think we'll see at least one drafted this year. Martin and Lee could be good receivers, but along with Franks, they had far too many drops. The lack of production from our TEs is what killed the offense in the red zone. Change that, and the close games against Detroit and Minny would have been much different.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba will be back, the Packers lose nothing due to his low cap number and his blocking ability. If he really has nothing, they can cut him during camp with little consequence. But, he cannot be our unquestioned starter next year. They will likely not bring back Martin or Lee. Alcorn has a shot. But they must upgrade this position either through the draft, trade or FA preferrably with a guy who can stretch the field.

OP
OP
cyoung

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott Chandler has size, can block but not the best, and has great hands to catch. For him on the packers i'd say bubba blocks and Chandler catchs

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, i dont mean to cause offense but would it suit ppl on this board if the packers team consisted entirely of Iowa and Wisconsin university alums? :-p

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best way to upgrade the TE position is to let David Martin and Donald Lee go and sign a TE via free agency and draft one in either round 2 or 3. If somehow Miller or Olsen falls in round 2 then I think we have to pull the plug on either or.

I have mixed feelings about Bubba. While he hasn't done anything good noted since signing his new deal, he's still a big reason why Favre was protected so well this year.

So I'd keep him.

Franks, Draft Pick, Free Agent

That's what I would do to upgrade the position. I'd probably try and sign Daniel Graham to a big a deal and hope for what I stated above with either Greg Olsen or Zach Miller falling to us in round 2.

Reaction score
Have Bubba gain 40 pounds, use him at LT or RT. :)

Not really a viable option:

1. Bubba is going on too, or already is, 30. Not the best of time to learn a new position. Playing tackle is a LOT more different than playing TE, and it doesn't matter how much Bubba played as a blocker, playing Tackle is a whole new ball game.

2. RT: Taush , LT: Cliffy
These two are studs, although they didn't flawlessly transfer to the Zone scheme, they played better and better as the year went on. Cliffy also got paid quite well for protecting Favre's backside, so if you put Bubba at LT, what do you do with Cliffy? Take an unneeded cap hit?

3. Our future tackle appears to be Moll, and from what he has shown, he has the potential to be a great one! He is a perfect fit for the scheme, and is young enough to make the transition into a new position from college.

4. Bubba would need to get real strong, real fast. There is no way he could become strong enough be a starting tackle in only one off season.

5-A. Bubba adding 30-40 pounds might be disaster. He has never played with that much weight, and his body may naturally become more prone to injury from excess weight, and he may simply not be able to adjust his style of play to suit the excess body weight.

5-B. Bubba is barely faster than a turtule as is, so adding weight might make him slower. The scheme requires quick o-linemen and that would be something working against Bubba.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Have Bubba gain 40 pounds, use him at LT or RT. :)

Not really a viable option:

1. Bubba is going on too, or already is, 30. Not the best of time to learn a new position. Playing tackle is a LOT more different than playing TE, and it doesn't matter how much Bubba played as a blocker, playing Tackle is a whole new ball game.

2. RT: Taush , LT: Cliffy
These two are studs, although they didn't flawlessly transfer to the Zone scheme, they played better and better as the year went on. Cliffy also got paid quite well for protecting Favre's backside, so if you put Bubba at LT, what do you do with Cliffy? Take an unneeded cap hit?

3. Our future tackle appears to be Moll, and from what he has shown, he has the potential to be a great one! He is a perfect fit for the scheme, and is young enough to make the transition into a new position from college.

4. Bubba would need to get real strong, real fast. There is no way he could become strong enough be a starting tackle in only one off season.

5-A. Bubba adding 30-40 pounds might be disaster. He has never played with that much weight, and his body may naturally become more prone to injury from excess weight, and he may simply not be able to adjust his style of play to suit the excess body weight.

5-B. Bubba is barely faster than a turtule as is, so adding weight might make him slower. The scheme requires quick o-linemen and that would be something working against Bubba.

Wow, you need to learn when someone is jus joking around, man. lol silly cannucks

Members online

Latest posts