Does Rodgers seem to be getting.. I don't know.. arrogant?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because people have a feud doesn't mean the relationship will be strained. My dad and I butt heads all the time. Our relationship is fine. It's the competitive nature. It's all about pushing each others buttons. You think that after all this time together between Rodgers and McCarthy 7 or 8 years whatever it is that one little public mishap is going to change their relationship. Should Rodgers have done it? Probably not but its not really a huge deal. If anything why aren't u mad at Jordy. He picked up the flag. That flag was the coaches order and he disobeyed it. See how you can go into depth on nothing.

Jordy picked up the flag because he understood the rule....MM did not. His reaction was different than Rodgers but hey, Jordy is one of those "oh gee golly" type of country guys haha.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a guy I don't want in a foxhole with me and here's why. He's a sniper when things are going well, that I love about him. When it's hitting the fan he's pointing fingers at receivers for his bad throws, blaming refs cause he's not watching the play clock (QB's responsibility) and an overall pouter. A guy I want in the foxhole with me is the guy who is doing his job with no complaints, and moving troops around to be in position to attack. Not a guy pouting in the foxhole, and right now this year that's what I see from Aaron.

Reaction score
Jordy picked up the flag because he understood the rule....MM did not. His reaction was different than Rodgers but hey, Jordy is one of those "oh gee golly" type of country guys haha.
I understand that I was just giving a poor example because people want to be all serious about something that is nothing. I've gotten chewed out in front of my coaches where they showed me up one of their players. Sure I got mad at the coach at first but then I got over it and tried harder. It's the competitive nature these players and coaches possess not arrogance. That play could of cost us. If a player did that the player would get sent to the bench and be yelled at.

Reaction score
Rodgers is a guy I don't want in a foxhole with me and here's why. He's a sniper when things are going well, that I love about him. When it's hitting the fan he's pointing fingers at receivers for his bad throws, blaming refs cause he's not watching the play clock (QB's responsibility) and an overall pouter. A guy I want in the foxhole with me is the guy who is doing his job with no complaints, and moving troops around to be in position to attack. Not a guy pouting in the foxhole, and right now this year that's what I see from Aaron.
Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady are all leaders. They all do this. They are competitive. This is not war.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a guy i want in a foxhole, because he gets is job done, but he cant catch the ball for finley or tackle for tramon...

12theTruth

Good stats apparently absolves of any behavior. I'll stick to my guns though.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss something? It seems more plausible that AR was mad that the refs ruled it a fumble-MIN recovery. I have a hard time believing AR was ever yell at MM.

Reaction score
Good stats apparently absolves of any behavior. I'll stick to my guns though.
Rodgers in hindsight probably shouldnt have done it. The thing is I'm not going to crucify him for doing something that isn't a big deal. My perception of Rodgers isn't going to change with one moment. Everyone has done something they've regret. Overall he is a humble, quiet, kind person. On the field he is a gamer.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been complaints like this about almost every great QB:
Manning
Marino
Favre
Elway
Aikman
Jim Kelly
Brees

Not so much Montana, Brady

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in all honesty he humble compared to Farve.........yelling at the coach is not ok.

I agree with this from pee-wee all the way through college. I give more leniency to professionals having heated disagreements with their coaches because of the nature of the sport. You should respect your coach but my blind read is Rodgers is a perfectionist and certain things will annoy him.

I am brought back to a play from about a month or month and a half ago. I wish I could remember the game but I remember the play. The packers had just called a timeout and they came back from commercial with Rodgers talking to MM on the sideline and you see MM lean in to give Rodgers the play call and as soon as he gets it you see Rodgers roll his eyes and give an annoyed look with his mouth and face. I immediately turn to my dad and say "it's a run play...did you see his face? They are going to run it here" - and they ran it for no gain. This was I believe a 2nd and long play.

Am I saying I have a read on Aaron Rodgers, no. I am saying I feel he would want to throw the ball every down if he could and he gets annoyed with certain things to the point of obvious frustration (yelling, look on his face, etc...) it's the gift and curse of being very good at what you do.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Did I miss something? It seems more plausible that AR was mad that the refs ruled it a fumble-MIN recovery. I have a hard time believing AR was ever yell at MM.
That's what I saw too. Rodgers was pissed they ruled it a recovery and was over wanting it challenged. It was a heat of the moment situation IMHO and he wasn't yelling at MM.

Once again this particular incident is much ado about nothing.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, from what I heard, he was mad that they didn't call it a touchdown right away.
AS WAS I!
That was one of about 3 or 4 close calls THAT WENT THEIR WAY.
It kept putting McCarthy, not Frazier, in the position of having to challenge.... but at least this one, ruled a fumble or TD was going to automatically be reviewed.

I just don't like how the on-field f***** zebra's gave the purple side the benefit of every doubt. Same thing with the bogus tipped pass they had where they ruled the punk caught it but he didn't. We couldn't challenge it.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He audibles to run with some frequency.

Unless you know what plays the offense is calling and what his audibles are I don't think you can say this without looking rather foolish, no offense. I also said "if he could" - My opinion on Rodgers is that he would like to go 5 wide ALMOST every play...of course that is just my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you know what plays the offense is calling and what his audibles are I don't think you can say this without looking rather foolish, no offense. I also said "if he could" - My opinion on Rodgers is that he would like to go 5 wide ALMOST every play...of course that is just my opinion.

And you know he only wants to pass? I dont think YOU can say that w/o looking foolish too

How about what RB is in the backfield helps Rodgers to figure out what to call? According to this article it is true..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-to-shifting-backfield-t5862ln-185004391.html

What has remained a bit under the radar since the Packers transitioned from using Cedric Benson as their primary runner is the adjustment Rodgers has had to make having four different guys in the backfield.

There are times he has been up at the line of scrimmage about to audible when it occurred to him that changing the call would not be ideal because of who is back there.

"When you've got some guys who are in different places mentally and athletically, you try to play to their strength," Rodgers said.

For instance, he doesn't want to call on the back to pick up a blitzing linebacker if the 5-foot-7, 203-pound Harris is in the game, just as he wouldn't want to check to an outside zone play better-suited for Green than for Grant. He may be comfortable having Grant chip on a defensive end, but if he knows he's going to have to dump the ball over the middle, Kuhn would be a better choice.

If he switches to a play where he's going to swing the ball out to his back, it's better to have the speedy Green or Harris carry it out than Kuhn or Grant.
"DuJuan is not quite there on all the protection adjustments and all the routes," Rodgers said. "You try to make sure things are clean for him. He's been studying his butt off. I know he's going to improve in that area. But it's different if he's back there compared to if Alex is back there, or even Ryan.

"Ryan and his downhill running style has always been productive in the winter months. So trying to give him some things he's comfortable with. When John is back there, John is excellent in the protection schemes; he's not going to run away from a bunch of guys.

"Making sure that you have the right check and the right check-down depending on who's back there is important."

In the 55-7 victory over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, Rodgers had one of those moments where he had to make a decision on whether it was prudent to change a play before the snap.

The offense was in a run formation with Grant as the single back and Rodgers under center. Seeing that the Titans were in a single-high coverage, leaving receiver James Jones one-on-one to the right, Rodgers called an audible, moved into shotgun formation and directed Grant to move next to him.

Grant had to step up and take on blitzing linebacker Tim Shaw so Rodgers would have enough time to hit Jones for a 21-yard gain. Had that been Harris, it would have been a questionable decision.

This game Rodgers tossed for 173 yards...Hardly a guy that rather pass..

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...8/Mike-Vandermause-column-Rodgers-has-fun-run

So it was fitting that the Packers, who overcame a 14-0 first-half deficit, finished off the Lions with a fourth-quarter touchdown drive that consisted of seven consecutive runs and not a single Rodgers pass.

“We’d love to be a more explosive offense at this point in the season but we have to get healthy in some areas and we’re going to have to win some games like this,” Rodgers said.

That bold part makes since when you read the prior article that states Rodgers goes with who is in the backfield...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. What really stood out was Rodgers stating that he's not sure about Harris' blocking ability. He may not be tall but he should have leverage and/or be able to cut down blitzers. What the Packers really have lacked for a long time is a running back with both good running legs and good at picking up the blitz.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you know he only wants to pass? I dont think YOU can say that w/o looking foolish too

How about what RB is in the backfield helps Rodgers to figure out what to call? According to this article it is true..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-to-shifting-backfield-t5862ln-185004391.html

This game Rodgers tossed for 173 yards...Hardly a guy that rather pass..

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...8/Mike-Vandermause-column-Rodgers-has-fun-run

That bold part makes since when you read the prior article that states Rodgers goes with who is in the backfield...

that's a long response when all you could have done was look where I said it was opinion and the other guy stated Rodgers audibles without saying it was an opinion.

A for effort though.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I think you want your quarterback to be a little cocky and arrogant. You can be that way when you know you are good. I would rather have a confident cocky quarterback than one who is unsure of himself.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the press conference with Rodgers after the game, and I recall Rodgers saying he was upset that the refs didn't call James Jones' TD a TD right away. He said he was at the 7 yard line and it looked like a TD to him. Then he said that they got the call right, and that is what matters.

Also, when it comes to Aaron wanting to pass every down...No. He doesn't want that. He ha said that we need a good mix to keep the D honest. Also, with the emergence of Harris how can you not be excited to run the ball?!

I feel like Aaron Rodgers is one of the smartest men in football right now. I mean, I have seen interviews with him, and he is describing a specific play OR different situations that has or may find himself in. He starts talking football and I have a hard time keeping up with him. It is almost like he starts speaking a different language. He gets so techincal, and the only other person I have heard talk like that is Peyton Manning. That being said, with him knowing all the different nuances of the game and what is needed to win...he can't be so arrogant that he wants to throw on every down. Yes, our passing game is our best strength but our running game is emerging and we are set to have one HELL of a two-headed offensive attack.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't view Rodgers as being arrogant. Read the link in HyponGrey's post from the Bleacher report: If Rodgers continues to put the numbers he has so far he will have a legitimate argument for being the best QB in the history of the game. With that in mind I don't see how the charge of arrogant applies. Synonyms for arrogant are conceited, condescending and self-important; I don't see Rodgers as displaying those qualities. Unlike his predecessor we still read and hear reports of his interacting with the "nobodies" at the end of the roster. He also displays self-deprecating humor and is quick to praise his teammates.

He is extremely confident which his talent and production justify. Just this morning I heard Colin Cowherd (or at least I think that was him) say that Aaron Rodgers is the only NFL QB who grades out with an A+ arm, A+ feet, and an A+ mind. If you don't like Cowherd that's fine (I normally don't listen to him, I was a "captive" listener this AM) I'm just using an example with which I completely agree.

Having said all that like every other human being, Rodgers makes mistakes. If he was yelling at McCarthy for throwing the red flag I think that's clearly a mistake. I liked Jordy's reaction much, much better - try to hide it! But I don't think Rodgers made a mistake when asked the question about the stupid STs trick play vs. the Bears. Everyone knows that was stupid, even McCarthy, so I would rather not have the Packers starting QB look stupid justifying it.

BTW, none of us as fans know how often Rodgers audibles from a passing to a running play or visa versa.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a long response when all you could have done was look where I said it was opinion and the other guy stated Rodgers audibles without saying it was an opinion.

A for effort though.
All LTF was saying was that your opinion seems misinformed based on a slew of evidence. Just because it is opinion doesn't preclude it from scrutiny.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts