1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Does it bother anyone that Capers is always in the box?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Southpaw, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Every game Capers is up in the pressbox calling the game where it seems like every other teams DC's are on the sidelines getting involved with the players and what is going on.

Additionally, he seems like a pat on the shoulder pads kind of guy, instead of a kick in the pants kinda guy.

And it kinda shows with the identity of our defense. We're finesse, not tough and hard nosed.

Now some people might say being finesse isn't bad, but if you look at some of the top defenses in this league right now (SF, Seattle, Giants/Bears (when they show up), Houston) and throughout history they've all been tough physical squads.

I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach.

Now I know a lot of people are going to point to a Superbowl win under Capers and the fact that this season we've had a lot of injuries, and last year we didn't have anybody who could do anything up front and I understand that. But do you like the identity of this defense and does it bother you that Capers seems to be in a way removed from the team on gameday?

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    You can see the plays a lot better upstairs, and you don't have to deal with all the commotion on the sideline. Makes for a better decision-making environment I would think. But, I like Capers; so I'm a bit prejudiced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
  4. MiamiBeachPacker

MiamiBeachPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +246
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89 Bleeding Green and Gold

Ratings:
    +192
    Another capers thread?

6. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    No. This is much-a-do about nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480

I could be wrong, I've never been to a Packers practice. I've never seen him on the field coaching players up so maybe I don't really know. But I do know that a lot of the times, a team is a reflection of the coach. JUst WIN BABY!!!

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    the whole rah rah Jon Gruden yell in your face appeals to the avg fan but doesnt translate to great coaching.

If Capers want to see the whole field and let his coordinators handle the sidelines its more power to him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    I read the enbolded part like this: I don't really know what I'm talking about because I have no facts to back up my conclusions therefore I'm relying on conjecture to make a point.

To my knowledge Coordinators don't really do a whole lot of "coaching" outside of developing and implementing the game plan, and it is more up to the individual position coaches to actually "coach". I could be wrong though.

10. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,755
    Nope. Not a bit.

Capers is definitely the cerebral type, not the motivational type. But that's fine. We do have assistants Kevin Greene and a few others, the fiery sorts, down there.

11. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480

I don't care if he coordinates from the men's room as long as THEY WIN BABY!!! And I know what I am talking about.

12. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    What goes on in the men's room should stay in the men's room.:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480
    If Capers can do it from there, fine with me.

14. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    1. I'd rather have a cerebral thinker (Belichick/Dungy) type of guy than a Forrest Gregg "Yell & Scream" type of coach ... The yellers and screamers are fueled by frustration cause they're getting out-coached - so they take it out on the players to "Play Better!"

2. We're a young defense - We've got fresh faced college kids learning the defense - once they get some experience under their belt - they'll be harder hitting - (it'll help us look tougher when we get Bishop & Perry back)

3. Rodgers threw 6 TDs on Houston - Their D is overrated (aside from JJ Watt).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    I agree. I've never been motivated to preform to a higher standard because someone was yelling at me. (military experience included) ;)

16. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Exactly, It's easier to play chess when you can see the whole board.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    Yep. I know how to do Capers' job better than he does. Get down on the field, pussy!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    :rolleyes: if you did, you'd be employed by an NFL organization.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,943
    I rather have him upstairs so he can see what is happening on every part of the defense and adjust as he sees fit..He can't do that on sidelines

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    But it projects a better image if he's on the sidelines Jim. Quality organizations like the Jets and Cowboys know image is the most important thing in today's NFL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    It's not like he's the only DC that sits in the box. Actually I think those guys tend to be the more successful of DC's. (That last statement is purely speculative.)

I can off the top of my head I can point to Dick LeBeau calls games from the box, though I have also seen him on the field at times also. And Dean Pees, DC of the Ravens, apparently moved from the field up to the coaches box mid season this year.

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    But it projects a better image if he's on the sidelines. It just looks better. So that's where he should be. Because that's what matters.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  23. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +370
    OK, now that's some sarcasm I can pick up on. :p

24. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    The best DC in the game over the past 15-25 years, D*ck LeBeau of the Steelers, I think he's up in the box.
    Whatever he's been doing, I am in favor of.

They never have a bad defense. And they often have had the best defense.

• Like Like x 1