Does Driver or Woodson get their numbers retired?

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was reading the other post about Woodson and Driver maybe retiring, which i hope does not happen, but I was wondering if either Driver's #80 or Woodson's #21 get retired when they are through? what do you think?

Current Packer's Retired Numbers:
#14 - Don Hutson
#3 - Tony Canadeo
#15 - Bart Starr
#92 - Reggie White
#66 - Ray Nitschke
[Soon to be: #4 - B___t F____e]

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id think that Driver is more likely to have his number retired than Woodson, however even at that Im not sure if even Driver will get his number retired, even after everything he has done.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am unsure if either will, but if one does it would be DD. Freeman and Sharpe are both better WRs that have never had the pleasure..

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would retire Driver's #, but probably not Woodson. I would also wait a good 10 or so years before doing it.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Neither one. Ring of Honor yes to both. Chad Clifton is a likely Ring of Honor candidate as well.

They already have 5 numbers retired, if you retire many more you start running out of numbers. There are Pro Football Hall of Famers, all-time NFL greats who don't have their jerseys retired. Jim Taylor, Hornung, Jim Ringo, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Forrest Gregg, James Lofton, etc.

Only Nitschke, Hutson, Canadeo, Reggie and Bart Starr have their numbers retired.

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson reminds me of the impact Reggie White had. It wasn't instant credibility like Reggie, but he has the leadership Reggie had, and Reggie did only play in Green Bay for 6 years, but left a lasting impact. I think Charles will have the same, so I can see them retiring his number.

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will both get into the ring of honor for sure. As for a retired number I do not know. The NFL pressures teams not to retire numbers. That said I think 80 will get retired, but it will a dual retirement for both Driver and Lofton

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
If woodson Stays with the pack for awhile, breaks a few records, and wins either another Super Bowl, or DPOY then yes for him.

DD, Yes I think His should be retired. I would love to see how he feels about that- I'm sure it would be his personal HOF (next to his packer HOF induction of coarse).

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
I agree, Driver may retire and if so his jersey will be retired. Woodson comes back next year and we do it again, I want 21 retired lol. Which i already have good feeling about next year. As J Mike said hes ready to come back and defend this championship!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Neither one. Ring of Honor yes to both. Chad Clifton is a likely Ring of Honor candidate as well.

They already have 5 numbers retired, if you retire many more you start running out of numbers. There are Pro Football Hall of Famers, all-time NFL greats who don't have their jerseys retired. Jim Taylor, Hornung, Jim Ringo, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Forrest Gregg, James Lofton, etc.

Only Nitschke, Hutson, Canadeo, Reggie and Bart Starr have their numbers retired.

Yes, they'll both be in the Packer Hall of Fame, and maybe both in the NFL HOF. Same with the Vikings' QB. There's no need to retire any more numbers unless someone wins 5 Championships or more. If that happens they should retire his number, freeze the guy and clone him for the future.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they'll both be in the Packer Hall of Fame, and maybe both in the NFL HOF. Same with the Vikings' QB. There's no need to retire any more numbers unless someone wins 5 Championships or more. If that happens they should retire his number, freeze the guy and clone him for the future.

Yep all 3 guys I mentioned are obviously locks for the Packer HOF.

Woodson is a lock for the Pro Football HOF. He is one of the best FOOTBALL players in NFL history, not just one of the best corners. Last night's victory gets him lock status (even though he was in before that) and probably on the first ballot.

Donald Driver is an all-time great Packer but he's just not in the pro football HOF class.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with them getting into the ring of honor(along with Harris and Clifton), but I don't think either of their numbers will ever be retired. Driver has had a very good career but it is highly unlikely he will ever make the hall of fame and look at all the hall of famers we have had in the past who haven't had their numbers retired. While Woodson stands a good chance of getting into the hall, he hasn't been on the team long enough IMHO.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep all 3 guys I mentioned are obviously locks for the Packer HOF.

Woodson is a lock for the Pro Football HOF. He is one of the best FOOTBALL players in NFL history, not just one of the best corners. Last night's victory gets him lock status (even though he was in before that) and probably on the first ballot.

Donald Driver is an all-time great Packer but he's just not in the pro football HOF class.

Driver? The fact he is the Packers' career leader in receptions may get him into the NFL Hall, particularly since he now has a Championship.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as said above, no. Neither are at the level of getting their numbers retired. Driver isnt Hall of Fame level. Woodson is HOF level but not retire your number HOF level. Both should get ring of honor.

But dont feel bad for Driver. When Starr passes away Driver will take over his role as media ambassador for the Packers. The Packers would never trust Favre to do it and no one has had as much class since Starr as Driver has.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has Woodson ever commented on the Ring of Honor or getting his # retired like Driver has? I would say yes to Driver simply cause the organization knows how much it means to him and everyone else.. More of his story of perseverance rather than career stats..

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver is much more likely than Woodson. That being said, don't really see either one really getting the nod...but I would like to see Driver's number up there.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
tough question

But I dont think so, Driver really seems like this might be the end and i'm not sure he is as prestigious as those other players on that list. I felt the same way when Leroy Butler retired.

Woodson however is a once in a liftetime talent, if the pack has a mediocre year next year and he retires I say no. But if woodson plays 3-4 more years, and we win another superbowl I'd say he should be up there.

Members online

Latest posts