1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Does anyone know anything about recieving unemployment?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Mar 26, 2008.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,975
    My suggestion is do not burn any bridges with your current job...

You never know what may be waiting for you on the other side

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats true.......don't pull a "Javon Walker" and blast your old employer.
    What they did to you stunk, but could have been lots worse. Plus if you need references, it only hurts you if you blast them.
    But if asked, i would be 100% honest with your new prospective boss and tell them what happened to you. You can do that without being nasty about it.

3. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    Alan is correct too..Be honest..

Or you could just say the drive is way to far for you, and they have nothing close

4. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you guys are saying and thanks once again for your input. The interview I had yesterday all I told them was they went with on site management and I didnt have a job at that location the next day, so they moved me to far away from home, she totally understood that. I didnt trash my old job at all and wont do that, your right I will need that reference and who knows when. The only thing that I may do if offered a job somewheres else is only give a weeks notice, because I have a feeling if I give two my life will be horrible at work. I also have two weeks paid vacation coming so I may take the second week as vacation time. But will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Have a great day you guys, I am off to work.

5. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I applaud you for giving notice. I think I would give them the same notice they gave me. Nothing personal boss, just a business decision.

That's what myself and another advisor did in December, told our boss it was nothing personal, just a good business decision even though it cost him about 30k in bonuses.

Leave in a time fram that is in your best interest. You owe no loyalty to your present company. Those days are gone. in my industry, when you resign they walk you out the door instantly.

6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Depends on the location, bigger towns/cities such as Wausau, Ashland, Marshfield, Rhinelander/ Eagle River and Eau Claire have a fair amount of opening but just don't expect to much north of Hwy 29.. no lie when I moved back to the area in 99 I interviewed at the Price County seat for the IT manager.. I walked in and they had 3 PC's in the entire building.. this old lady at the front desk was using an old swing arm typewriter... in my mind I had ran out of the building already screamming bloody murder.. yikes.

7. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt give notice as of yet, but I am sure this new company that I interviewed with will give me the job, they are just now doing back ground checks so I should hear in a few days. I thought about giving a weeks notice to my boss now, so that I dont burn bridges I might need her reference down the road never know. But your right Trip I dont owe these guys anything, I was loyal and hardworking for three years and look where that got me? So depends on when this other company wants me to start then I will make my decision on how much notice I will give. I just dont want to stay to long for them to give me a hard time being there.

Good for you Trip on how you handled your situation!! I just wished companies would realize how important "good" people are to them.

8. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    You hate how they treated you, but yet you want to do it to them? Doesn't sound right to me, but okay.

If the company gives you the job, ask if possible could you start on a days notice...

Then give 2 weeks notice, and IF they truly give you a hard time look at them and say I am sorry since you can not treat nice for my last 2 weeks, I am leaving now.

Then call the place that is hiring you and say you want to start tomorrow.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    If her new job wanted her to start immediatly, then i would say to do so. Seeing as she was not given any notice by her old job, how can they get mad at her? It's not like they respected her and cared how they treated her. Had they done right by her, and let her know their plans, then i'd say treat them with respect.
    If it comes down to 2 weeks notice, and losing the new job for not starting right away, then whats so wrong with giving them back how they treated you? In today's world, you have to watch out for yourself, or you get walked on. I'm talking from expierience. I have been walked on so much, that i have permanent shoe prints on my head.
    Thats why i learned from neccesity to speak up for myself. It's that, or be abused by bullies. I don't like having to be that way, but the way people are today, you have to know when to walk away or when to fight back.
    It's that, or be everyone's door mat.
    Just my opinion of course.

10. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I told her once (hopefully) she gets offered the new job to tell the old job sayonara. Collect her 2 weeks vacation pay and take a VACATION!! From the limited info we have the new site isn't finished construction yet plus they have a training program they'll send her to so unlikely she'll need to or be asked to start "tomorrow"

I'm really proud of her for getting this far this fast in her search. Nothing like a 1 hr commute to light a fire of course! This company is going to lose someone that really cares - isn't just there to collect a paycheck.

One question though - they touted this new site as being "state of the art" with a conference center. Call me crazy but a storage facility wouldn't be on my top 50 places I'd think of when looking to schedule a meeting...

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I wonder if her old place will try to screw her out of her vacation pay. I wouldn't put it past them.
    Yeah......a conference center in a storage place? Sounds goofy to me.
    I wonder what "state of the art" storage is? Gold plated garage doors? :wink:

12. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    CA law won't let them weasle out of the vacation pay

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good.......i'd hate to see her lose that.

14. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    It might take me a while to get my vacation check from them, dont know if there is a time limit on getting it in the mail or not. But not they cannot not give me my vacation pay.

I was going to give two weeks and I may yet dont know depends on what this new job offers me. And if I do give two weeks and they treat me horribly then I will just walk out, because then I have done everything that I could. I heard yesterday that this isnt the first time this has happened with this company, I am just doing my job and no more, biding my time. I just wished after they did this to me I could have said "I quit" but I couldnt do that, I also may need a reference from them down the road and after working 3 years for them I would have to explain what I was doing with a three year gap on my resume. Wouldnt know what to do there.

Anyways thanks for caring you guys.

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    I would make sure you get you vacation pay on the final check...

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try, but if they dont do it then I will have to wait until they do it. This company isnt to good at remembering anything.

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    Maybe I missed an update somewhere else?

but bumping this up in case you have an update

18. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LT!! Sorry to say I am still with my old place of employment. I am still looking and sending out resumes, I was offered one job for an Assistant Manager, but turned that down because I want to be a Manager, they have more say and imput. I am an Assistant right now and I am cleaning up after the Manager because he is just so unorganized and isnt following company policy. Since I have been there I have cleaned the place up, the office, bathrooms, outside now look amazing. I am now working on paperwork/files and trying to get that in order. Little by little this place is shaping up, my boss sure knew what she was doing in putting me here, because she basically is using me to clean up things, yet I dont have the Manager title anymore. My pay stayed the same but still.

I have applied for a couple district Management positions with in the last few days but heard nothing as of yet. Would love this position because it pays very well.

My boss spoke to me today and now wants me to go to at least three other places because their occupancy is down, and she knows I can raise it. But again just being used. At least these other places are closer to my home which I love. One place is my old place of employment where I was the Manager, she asked me to go there for a few days at the end of this month, I told her "are you crazy"? She acted like it was no big deal for me to do. I told her in the end I would do it because on the upside I would get to see all my old tenants/friends.

But will keep you all posted if I get something new.