1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know anything about recieving unemployment?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Mar 26, 2008.

1. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunatly thats the exception, not the rule. The only company i heard of around here that treats it's employees well is Marquette Electronics. There ARE a few good ones out there, and you would think like Trippster said, that companies would realize that their workforce is what keeps them going.
    The place my wife has worked at for 13 years, was a good place. They treated the workers well, had banquets for them, gave Christmas partys and bonuses........then a big world wide company bought them out. Now they get nothing but a $25 gift certificate for Pick and Save at Christmas. No, banquets, no family picnic like the old owners gave, nothing. And nothing but hassles if you have any personal business you have to take care of. My wife was out for surgery and was out a month at the end of last year.........they couldn't even send a "get well" card, and they screwed up her short term disability so that she didn't get it until she was already back to work a week. They didn't care that we had no money to live on, even though she earned it and was entitled to it.
    Thats the unfortunate "norm" in todays world.
    If you got a decent place to work at, count your blessings.......cause they are few and far in between.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    I know what ya meant and it does suck..

My dad worked for Evinrude for 25 years and got out just in time..

Same thing with brother in law he worked for Briggs..He took one of those early retirment options..

and btw read your guest book comment to JJ..He "thinks" he remebers you from that day at MP

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Gee........i hope i didn't give JJ any nightmares! You know, bad "flashbacks!" :D

Simplicity in Port Washington sold out, and now the new owners closed up the plant. I knew a man that worked there for 35 years. Lucky for him, his wife owns a restaurant, so they will be ok. But the poor men and women that worked there all their lives, yet are not old enough to retire, are really in a bad spot. Alot of places won't hire 50 year olds, where there are health risks and so on, if they can get young people instead. So these people end up going from jobs where they made $20 or more an hour, to $8 jobs like WalMart. And lose the good helth benefits and vacation they earned for working at a place for 20 plus years.

4. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt know about Simplicity, my sister worked there for a little while out of high school which was along time ago.

Okay I have another question for you guys, say I go to my boss now that I have taken this new job, and tell her its to long of a drive for me, if she cant find something closer to home for me to do, what does she do lay me off? Fire me? Then can I collect unemployment? Im just really scared because I heard some not so great stories of the manager at this new location, I will work with him for the first time tomorrow then I can assess the situation a little more.

5. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994

They are providing you with a job that has same pay..I don't think a long drive is a reason to let you go.

You really don't need to much extra time to find new job..go to monster.com upload your resume.

Think of a place you know of that you might like to work for, go to their web site and then look for links for jobs they have open.

Here in Milwaukee there is Milwaukeejobs.com

Maybe your city has one, just replace Milwaukee with your city?
    If you still just want out, think of something that could get you fired and do it..

However if you have already made it well known that you don't want to work there anymore, they might be on to you trying to get fired and deny the unemployment.

6. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    you can quit and get unemployment IF they dont fight it with the state. You can also be fired with due cause and be denied unemployment.

I quit a job in CA and still got unemployment becasue the job had changed to the point of it being unacceptable in my eys. The company did nopt fight it so I recieved it.

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +112
    Heather so sorry to heard about that, im sure you will figure it out good luck

8. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Just call your local unemployment office and ask the question..We can't give you a truly informed answer, but they would be able to provide you with MORE information

9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    http://www.edd.ca.gov/uirep/uifaq6.htm#eligibility

4. I just quit my job. Will I be eligible?

10. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LT for the information, I will go to that link you provided, thats for researching it for me. :)

I heard threw the grapevine today that the company I work for is denying unemployment to anyone who applies. You would think now that I have tried this job and realized what a drive it is, and they also gave me no notice in firing me from my last location that I worked at for over 3 years that they would be nice and not deny it. But I dont put it past them, I dont trust any of them. But if they deny me I wont get the unemployment and thats what I think they would do. Today at work I was cleaning like I usually do, and the bosses assistant saw me and she said 'that is what we thought you would do , clean the place up", they knew how I ran the other location and now they want me to do it here. When she left I put my rag down and sat in the chair, if they think I am going to clean up a location for them they are crazy, and I am no longer the Manager so if something goes wrong its on him not me. I do my job and only my job I dont go out of my way anymore like I used to. Whats the point.

Thanks Green bay Packers!! Its been a very hard time for me, I gave my all and look where it got me? I talked to my old assistant tonight, and he went to vegas for a week, I knew I couldnt contact him til he came back home, I finally reached him tonight, and he is devasted to, he said his vacation sucked the worst one he has had ever, because of what happened to us for no reason. He will work at my location for two days a week as just a fill in, in the office, I told him NOT to give out any information that you werent the manager and that he knows nothing. Why should we give the new management people all our tricks, dont think so. I know that what happened to us had nothing to do with the new people, but let them learn as we did.

Sorry for rambling on and on. But thanks everyone for all your help..

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'm young and haven't had much of a career. I am still (STILL!!!!) in school, so I don't know much about office dynamics, etc. But what I don't get is this. You are being paid the same, but are free of the managerial responsibility and culpability... isn't that a good thing? I mean, I know what they did to you hurts. But once the dust settles, aren't you in a pretty decent situation?

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Of course, that is IF your new "boss" isn't a jerk.

13. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the bosses stayed the same they own 9 of these locations, but Cheesy is right, when you go from being a manager to an assistant manager you dont have much of a say even though you know somethings arent right you have to bite your tongue and not say a thing. Its a very hard situation, I am NOT in a good position usually get a promotion not a demotion for doing a good job. I loved the responsibility as a manager, because I knew I could run a great clean place, I worked my butt off, came in an hour early without pay but it was my decision to do so, but I again will NEVER do that again. Today I met my new manager, he seemed okay, but as soon as he walked in he was checking all the reports he wanted to show me who was boss, I work with him alone for the first time tomorrow and I will see how things go. But I will remind him in a nice way that I had been a manager for over 3 years where as he has only been one since December of last year quit a difference. I will just lay back and let him run the show til I find something new. Its been very difficult for me, I still cry when I talk to people about it because I gave me ALL and then some to be treated the way I was is totally uncalled for. My place was the most profitable for the company, but now since the economy is hurting they arent getting the sales so they had to do something. But I again say dont fix something that isnt broke. I miss my tenants because we became friends and I couldnt even say good bye to any of them. I am going in on Sunday to pick the remainder of my things, my used to be assistant will be there working as relief that day so I have asked him to compile some phone numbers so that I can call some of these people to let them know what happened to me, I wont go into details but I will tell them where I am incase they want to visit me at my new location. It hurts me alot and its hard to except, but I keep telling myself every morning that I can do this for the time being and to be strong so this is what is getting me through right now. I am now having a mixed drink at night just to calm down so I can sleep, I didnt eat the first two days that this happened because I was just so in shock. I am back to eating because you know why? I will NOT let these people get to me. I am better then they will ever be, I care about people, and if I had an employee working as hard as I did or do, I surely wouldnt get rid of them, but in todays world again they dont care. So you see I am very bitter by the way this all happened, but I dont let it show at work, I come in with a smile on my face and will continue to do so until I find something else. Employers need to realize good help over someone who dont care.

Thanks again everyone for your input, I will keep letting you know what happens, I appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes they help me so much.

14. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Uh-oh. Doesn't bode well for our eventual plans. I'm guessing that a dearth of IT openings in Northern, WI would be further diminished if looking for law firms with IT openings eh?

Heather is tough just pissed. Thanks everyone for your support and information.

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Heather they didn't fire you..You got moved to a different location..

I still say call unemployed and explain to them maybe they can give a better answer

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks LT, I will call unemployment on Monday. I have already called them three times and each time I had someone different that gave me a different answer. Basically I can file but if the company denies me I wouldnt get it, and rumor has it that they are denying unemployment to anyone at this time, but I could fight it then or should say appeal it which takes time.

My attorney said just to be careful what I do, and do NOT quit. I am using so much gas going and coming home, I can see the needle moving as I am driving. LOL...So I will be spending so much more on gas and they will not give me gas mileage. I sure do think I got screwed in this deal and that my boss covered their butts pretty good on this one where as I dont have a case against them.

I was thinking asking my boss if this doesnt work out, if they would deny me unemployment, because it was in no fault of my own that this happened it was all on them. And just kind of feel them out.

I am off to work, wish me luck everyone.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The thing is, they could TELL you they wouldn't fight it, then lo and behold, when you file, they fight it. I wouldn't put it past them.
    When we lived in northern Wisconsin, my wife worked as a nurses aid. She worked her full 8 hour shift, then someone didn't show up, and they asked my wife to stay a second 8 hour shift. 16 straight hours! She did it for them. Her smock was dirty at the end of her first 8 hours, and she had a spare in the car. She put that one on and wore it. When the bosses came in in the morning, they wrote her up because the smock she had on didn't have any pockets on it! Hows THAT for gratitude?
    Then, when she was working at a 24 hour gas station, she worked her 8 hours, was supposed to get off at 10pm. The manager called and told her the person that was supposed to relieve her was sick and could she cover till 6am. My wife said "ok". But my wife needed her medication to take at 10:30pm, so i brought it up for her. The cash drawer was full, and there had been robberys in the past. Seeing as at the end of her shift, she's supposed to count the drawer, have only $50 in it and put the rest in the safe, and she was ALONE, so i offered to take the money in the back room to count it for her while she manned the pumps to avoid any drive offs. While i was counting the money, the 2 owners came in. They came in the back, saw what i was doing, and we explained what had happened. The guys THANKED me for helping, and even bought me a big cookie and coffee for helping out. They stuck around for about 20 minutes, joking with us, thanking my wife for being a good worker and covering the place ALL NIGHT, thanked me again, and left.
    The next day my wife called and asked what her hours were for the next week, and she was told she was FIRED for having me in the back room counting the money. This after covering THEIR asses for 16 hours.
    She filed for unemployement, and they fought it. We had a phone deposition set up, with the unempolyment officer, me, my wife, and the station owner. We had explained our side (i told the whole story, just as i did here) and the station owner never even called in. Needless to say, we won the case and my wife collected.
    But thats just 2 examples of what you get when you try to help out an employer that doesn't give a damn about you. You cover them (they would have had to close the station and would have lost all that income) and the thanks they show you is to boot you out.
    Had they showed they were in ANY way upset with me there, i could have at LEAST understood, but they treated me like i was GOLD for helping them through a rough night. Backstabbing SOB's.

18. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, what a story Cheesy. I know you can help someone go out of your way at work, but your still a number in their eyes no matter how hard you work. Employers need to understand that their employees are what makes them money, you dont treat them like garbage. It just sickens me.

Today I was at my old location to pick up the rest of my items that I left there since I only had a few minutes to grab anything there when they told me I no longer worked there. Anyways I also had my old assistant (who still works there now as a relief instead of an Assistant Manager) get me some phone numbers of some tenants I was close to because lots of them are asking where I am. I am going to call them just so they know. George my used to be assistant had a lady come in there today and ask where I was because I guess the new managers had called her and were not very polite with this lady. George told we didnt have much notice that we were no longer needed there. She wanted the corporate number to complain, she said no one worked as hard as we did and the place always looked imaculate. So she will call knowing her the way I do, but still it wont matter. And I wouldnt go back there anyways if these new managers dont work out, why should I? Its been very nice to know that my tenants were behind me.

Anyways I now have two more days off and I am off faxing resumes out, because I want out of this place so bad. I am staying strong, but am still very hurt.

19. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh forgot when I went in to get my things, I had noticed that on my business cards with my name on them, the new managers crossed it off like I didnt even exist. I realize I am no longer there, but when I took over from the previous managers before me I left their names on the cards until I ran out because I thought that would give tenants a very bad impression because I am sure lots of the tenants loved the old ones. The old tenants retired so they at least go to say their good byes before they left.

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Last Sunday i was at my friend Jeff's house for Easter dinner. He told me at that time that he's losing his job. He's been there 20 years. Just boom.......he's out. They are doing away with his position.
    This kind of stuff is happening everywhere.
    Hedder, just try to get into a job closer to home. I know what really makes it hard for you is that you liked your job. That makes it even harder when you are treated that way.

21. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheesy,

I am looking closer to home, not to much drive time.

I cannot believe someone that has been employed for so many years can just get canned. But like you said its everywhere. Just sad especially when the economy is like this.

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The sad part for my friend is, he's 50. He works on their computer. But the ONLY thing he knows about computers is what he was trained to do at that company, for that one particular job. So it's not even something he can use on a resume' as expierience.
    I know more about computers then he does. So that shows you just how bad it is.
    Hopefully you can find a job you like, thats close to home. I know how hard that can be though. Usually if you get a job you like, the pay and benefits stink.

23. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a job interview set up for tomorrow, we will see how this goes.

Tough being older and finding a job, I would think people would more choose older people with all their experiences but thats not the case, they like hiring younger employees then they can mold them into what they want and then toss them away..LOL

24. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    My interview went great, took almost 3 hours, but they opening up a bran spanking new Storage facility in Montclair alittle further then my last location but still closer then what I am driving now. They are doing a back ground check on me now and I will hear in 7-10 days..I might even be able to bring along my assistant manager. I am excited. Then I will have another interview next Monday for a leasing agent this job is really close to home. So things are coming together and I cant wait to give my two week notice to these employers of mine, maybe I even wont give 2 weeks dont know. Just thought I would keep you guys up to date on whats going on in my life.

Thanks again everyone for your help and friendship means alot to me.

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You know Hedder.........this might turn out to be a blessing in disguise!
    You may end up at a place that APPRECIATES you! :D