1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Does anyone know anything about recieving unemployment?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Two days ago I recieved the news that at my job location they hired and trained a new mangement team to manage the facility I was at. The reason for this is they wanted the managers to live on site which I couldnt do. I was given a days notice that I would no longer be at this location. They now dont want to loose me and want to place me at another facailty, the only thing with this is: The distance of driving I will be traveling over 50 miles a day to this job, they also demoted me for no good reason to an Assistant Manager because they already had a manager for this site they want me to go to. They actually have me between a rock and a hard spot, they know I have to work. Their numbers, sales and rentals are down at this other site and they know I can bring them up for them. I was not treated in a respectful way at all.

My question is this: Can I collect unemployment if I left this job now, technically I was fired from the location I was working at, but they just want to move me further away, I also will be taking a demotion going from Manager to an Assistant Manager. Also my job duties will change. They also wanted me to get a release from my doctor to make sure my back is okay, I said if they wanted to pay for it I would do it, that subject was cutoff then. I will not sign a release or get a release just incase I would get hurt at this other facility then they wouldnt have to pay for the injury at all. Which I dont plan on getting hurt but everyone that does work, it can happen at any given time depending on the work that you do. I talked to a person at unemployment yesterday and they said I could collect it now if I left now because techinally I had been fired from this one location that I managed for three years. But if I take this new job and dont like it and quit then I wouldnt be able to collect it. Now this morning I thought I would call unemployment again and talk to someone different, and they gave me another story, he said that he didnt believe I could collect unemployment if they offered me another job. So I dont know what to do in this situation, I would leave if I could collect unemployment because then I could look for a new job. But if I couldnt collect then I would grin and bear it and work for this company and in the mean time look for something else.

Has anyone had any experience with this at all? My head is just spinning. I did NOTHING wrong and they told me I did nothing wrong, they just wanted someone to live on site.

Thanks for you guys help.

2. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    geez heath - i'm sure sorry to hear about this! i'm clueless as to what you can do but just wanted to let you know how much your situation sux!!! keep your head up - i'm sure somebody on here will be able to help ya out.
    take care. :)

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Not sure about the labor laws in CA, but I had employees that were relocated and titles changed about 2 years ago here in WI, and I inquiried about the same type of questions because my employees commute changed from 36 miles a day to about 75.. the answer was a NO.

If the firm does not break your employment tenure I was told, unemployment benefits were not awarded. An because their salaries remainded the same and it was "just" a title switch in addition to the relocation, there really was much to fight as well.

On a different note.. don't feel to bad, I commute to work each day 42 miles one way.. I spend about an 1.5 on the road each day. God bless this wonderful economy currently hey.

4. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help you guys means so much to me in this difficult time I am having with this all. I just wished people would respect others. This is why I wouldnt make a good boss because I couldnt be like that.

I do have a call in to talk to an attorney on this matter, I want to cover all my bases. I will get through this I am sure, but on my days off I will be looking for a new job. They truly want me to stay, my boss called me today and said she didnt want me to quit this is why she didnt tell me ahead of time what was happening. They had to do this for financial reasons, its cheaper having someone live on site then paying outright two full time employees. It still didnt make me fell any better about the situation. But I will go to work and then still look for something better.

WOW Pack you commute along ways, guess I was spoiled in only traveling 15 minutes for my job. And now the price of gas I will be spending a whole lot more. But my boss did say witth the incentives she will give me I should be making lots more money then before. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the compassion though you guys are the best.

5. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Please take this with a giant grain of salt as I'm only licensed in Ontario, but here, if there is a decrease in the status or responsibility associated with one's position or if there is a decrease in compensation, the employee has been "constructively dismissed", such that he or she can sue for wrongful dismissal and/or obtain the benefit of employment insurance (you're may or may not be required to take the alternate job being offered as you're required to mitigate your loss but I'm not sure whether that's applicable in the case of employment insurance benefits).

My advice would be to call the department of labor (or whatever it's called in CA) and explain the situation, stating that you feel that you've been constructively dismissed and see what they say.

6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Well working in the IT field in Northern WI, there isn't alot of openings... so I have to travel to work.. yes the gas chews a hole in the wallet.. but price of living in a rural community. Not much for city life... just not my style.

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heather - I have received unemployment in CA before when my job went to India. Took almost 2 years to find another one, but that's another story.

Anyways, no. You cannot collect unemployment if you quit. You have to be laid off or your job has to have been cut.

There may be a stipulation in there for making the job extremely inconvenient for you (as what they seem to have done). You might want to talk to an accountant or someone in the know.

8. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You are really getting a raw deal :(

9. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Torch the facility. You will be lay-ed off.

(Just Kidding.)

T.O. makes a great deal of sense. (He is an attorney if you did not know.)

Here is what I suggest you do. You need to get information on the laws, but do not call the Government Unemployment Office you will be put into the system.

Call your local State Elected Representative.

Tell them you are calling for TWO Reasons.

1. You want information on volunteering for the campaign. (This will set up the action for question number 2.)

2. You want information on your employment situation.

Explain your situation. REMEMBER IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR. They will normally bend over back words for you to get the information, and in many cases get someone to call you, instead of you being put into the cattle line of the general public.

Good Luck, you will be fine.

R.P.

10. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Feel blessed you are in Rural WI. my friend. The hell with the gas, it is a beautiful drive.

R.P.

11. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    WOW

IMO your boss is sorely lacking in leadership and management skills. Sounds to me like she was doing it more for her benefit than yours.
    She did not want to deal with the issue head on, and then "called" you so as not to deal with it face to face.
    I have no respect for people who can not deal with an issue upfront.

Anyway Heather, TOPackerFan gives some sound advice.

Also there is an interesting forum that I found. It is run by lawyers in their spare time and deals with California Employment Law.
    You might want to check it out.

website on discussing California employment law

I wish you the best Heather, it's tough I know, but you're a strong person.
    You will come through this kiddo!!
    I'll be pullin' for ya!!!

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    You keep amazing me Vikes.

Those of us who know you, know you, and know what is really behind the color purple.

Great advice.

R.P.

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hedder........it doesn't surprise me. Like i have said before........there is NO loyalty from ANY company towards employees now adays. Here you could have been told in advance, at least being able to prepare yourself, and they thought so little of you that they just dropped the bomb on you. That was thoughtless and classless.
    I don't think you can get unemployment, because they offered you a different job. But i have NO idea if i'm right on that. And like was said, you can talk to 4 different people at the unemployment office, and would probably get 4 different answers, none of them matching.
    I think going with the lawyer is your best bet. That way, you should be covering all bases.
    Let me know how it turns out for you!

14. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you guys.

I did talk to an attorney last night, and he said there was nothing that I could because they covered all their bases, meaning they didnt lower my pay, everything I was getting before stayed the same. He said he wished he could do something, because employers like this are a holes. He then said whatever I do is NOT TO QUIT that would be bad. He said "now lets use them". He said keep working there and in my spare time which I dont have much of, I should be out looking for a different job. It was good advice and thats what I intend on doing. But I do know no matter where you work you are just a number. You dont mean anything to anyone no matter how hard you work for company.

I will check out that website Vikes, and thanks!! I am off to start my new location today. At least pretty much will be the same, other then I wont be running things anymore which will be hard.

I am very strong and I will get through this I am sure, its just hard for the moment is all. I will keep you all updated.

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hang in there Hedder!
    I know it's not easy........and companies wonder WHY workers don't care about their companies anymore. Whether you work hard or not, you end up getting shafted.

16. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    To say ANY company is not true..Lot of places around here are very loyal to its employees

17. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I feared it would be like that, but your attorney is right. That really sucks.

I know you don't have a lot of free time, but what little you have, start looking for another job.

Best of luck!

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    OK......the MAJORITY of companies. :roll:
    All the ones i have worked at in my life, you were a number. And as far as all the people i have talked too, i haven't had ONE person say they worked for a place that did treat workers well. Maybe you got lucky.
    When my Dad was alive, the place he worked at, you were treated like FAMILY. But like most family owned companys, that place doesn't exist anymore.
    But you are right.........there might be a handful of decent places to work, so my using ALL was technically wrong.
    I'm just speaking from personal expierience and from years and years of listening to people.
    I'd be interested to see a list of loyal places you personally know of.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    My current job..They understand the issue with Jj and have donated money for him to go to camp...Even though it is REQUIRED by law they have to allow me time off for him, they don't put it on my record. They took a poll on what to use our extra bonuses for..As in did we want money, a party, gifts, etc..

Lat job was laid off, the owner let me take all the tools HE bought, gave me 2 months pay, and insurance, even though I was only there for less than a year.

I worked for a place from 85 to 99 then quit....Family that still works there have said the BOSSES have asked about me and if I want to come back there..And that place is a WORLD WIDE company

20. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heathie,

Move to Missoula. Direct TV has its' headquarters here and they are hiring anybody that has any experience with the public. I've been by their building and it's like a resort. Pool tables and such in the employee lounge, flexible hours, etc. The girl across the street from us works there and she loves it.

But, if you don't like snow then this is not the place for you. This is spring, and we've had 16 inches of snow since Monday.

21. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    What? they can't get sheep to answer the phones? :wink: (i sense an ugly vikesrule graphic coming)

22. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bob - That's tempting. Very tempting.
    As much as I can't handle the snow...

23. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Some of the new edge companies are recognizing how employees are being treated and going to other extreme to attract new employees.

When will companies realize that their employees are their MOST VALUABLE asset?

I just changed jobs for that very reason. I was at chase and while I made extrememely good money, I felt like they just didn't value any of us that did what I do. So I left and went to a company that really does live by the "Golden Rule" I don't mind telling any of you either. It is M&I Bank. a Super regional bank located all over Wisconsin (we are older than the state) and also, FL, AZ, IN, and MO. Great company!

24. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    I would move there but Ed would have a very long commute to LA..LOL..When I worked in WI before coming out here, I always had good employers who treated me with respect because I earned it, worked hard. But living out here in CA I dont know what it is, I have had nothing but problems. Maybe because there so many people living here that its easy to find another Pee-on to work and work cheap.

I am going to call the labor board on Monday to get a little more in site on this all.

This was my first day at work learning the computer systems at least its for the same company so I do know what they expect from me and I do know how to sell to anyone. People the come into my place, they are always treated like family. This is why is was so hard to leave my old location because I knew most peoples names, and lots of them just came in to shoot the breeze with me, show me their new puppies etc...but I do know in time I can have that at this place. But I would have liked a chance to say good bye to all those people that I did make friends with.

I will use this company from now on, because I will do my job but I will find something else on my days off, I will NOT work for a company that treats their employees in this manner. I truly wished I didnt NEED to work because I would have told them to kiss my behind, but they know they have me beween a rock and a hard spot. This morning it took me 45 minutes to get to work, it took me an hour to get home in traffic. To me this is a waste of my valuable time, and my time is everything to me.

I will hang in there for the time being, but if my job duties change to much I will be forced to quit because I wont have them using me or my talents.

Thanks again everyone, makes me feel alittle better knowing that you guys are all behind me.

25. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zombie!!! I will need alot of luck.