Does anyone find this as refreshing as I do?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
10 mill$ bonus - agent fee- taxes

Not saying it still isnt a lot, but it is not an actual 10 mill$ they put in bank
Ok, just for argument sake, let's say they net 4m of the 10m bonus, investing it all conservatively yielding 3%. Taking 70% of it gives them approx 80K to supplement their minimum salary est of 500K and re-investing the remaining 30% to ensure a 6 figure annual salary for the rest of their life after football is over. It's a whole lot better for them than it is for 97 % of us regular Joes.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
$5M in the bank at the end of your career should set you up for a lifetime draw of $200k a year. Very very few of these guys will achieve that from an NFL career.
I don’t know how many “very, very” few is but the following players already have or are very likely to be able to bank $5M by the end of their careers: Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Tramon Williams, Josh Sitton, AJ Hawk, Morgan Burnett, Jordy Nelson, BJ Raji, Julius Peppers, Jermichael Finley, Sam Shields and Matt Flynn.

TJ Lang received about $1.68M from ’09 through 2011 and then signed a $22M deal through 2016. Bryan Bulaga‘s rookie deal is worth $12.2M plus and is a UFA after this season. Mike Neal just signed a 2 year, $8M contract. His rookie contract was worth $2.95M and he’s about to turn 27. I couldn’t find the terms of Mason Crosby’s rookie deal but after 4 years of receiving it he signed a 5-year $14.75M contract in 2011. He agreed to restructure last season’s compensation but I believe he achieved the incentives to regain the comp from his 2011 deal. And the last two years of his deal weren’t changed.

Even a player like Brad Jones has a chance to amass $5M in savings. Jones' four-year contract as a seventh-round draft choice in 2009 averaged $452,564. That’s about $1.8M. Last spring he signed a deal paying him a $3M bonus + $1.5M in salary, roster and workout bonuses. That’s $6.3M. If he makes the team this season his total compensation will be about $3M. That’s $9.3M and if he plays out the last year of his contract in 2015 his total compensation with the Packers would be a little more than $13M. If his average combined Fed and state tax rate is 45%, that leaves more than $7M. I don’t expect Jones to play out his current contract, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. And he just turned 28.

Of course there are payments to agents and living expenses for all these players and even if all 17 players listed don’t have the chance to save $5M, all but a couple certainly do. And that’s just one NFL team. Of course most NFL players don’t become financially secure from their NFL compensation but I think it’s more than very, very few.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Love what Jordy said......of course many players are smart enough to say what us fans want to hear :D

I still wonder what the NFL (or most pro sports) would be like if players were paid based mainly on performance (base salary + contractual and statistical incentives). You have a Pro Bowl season.....you are compensated for it. You get hurt or have a bad year, you get compensated at that level. Just imagine how hard some of these guys would play, when each and every play could make them more money. Compare that to with how some guys play, after they get their 4 year deal and guaranteed money. For those "nay sayers" who say it would be too difficult to keep track of stats or compensate some positions (offensive linemen), I disagree.......seems like stats are kept for just about everything and anything these days. Obviously, base salaries of premier players would be higher, which is what you could use for team salary caps, but let them earn the rest! This isn't a novel idea, there have been many players through the years with incentive laden contracts.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
A player is going to go for his best deal based on his values PERIOD. Those values may mean max dollars, playing in a particular city, or not hassling and taking an offer to get it done. I wouldn't call any professional greedy because he tries to maximize his compensation. Just like I wouldn't call a professional who turns down or doesn't pursue better offers complacent. Most of these guys have very short careers so they absolutely need to maximize that earning window. $5M in the bank at the end of your career should set you up for a lifetime draw of $200k a year. Very very few of these guys will achieve that from an NFL career.

Very few will because they spend their money like a bunch of idiots on crap they wont ever really need or be able to sell for a profit later on down the road. Multiple houses, dozens of cars, private planes, throwing down thousands $$$ on a night out at the club or dinner, trashy woman. It's this "baller" lifestyle that gets these guys in financial trouble after or even during football. (T.O. and Chad Johnson are perfect examples of this ****'in life style) Both made HUGE money, more than anyone on this website could ever dream of making..... yet they are broke as a joke right now. The "average" joe in the NFL can have a very nice home that can be paid off and owned outright even after a short career and have a great lifestyle with average pay and a good savings plan. Yet most go belly up because of the poor spending and having to "one up" the next guy. I guess having 5 lavish homes and 12 SUV's all with 24" Baller rims is more important than taking care of yourself and your family for generations to come. With $5 Million, myself/wife and both boys would be taken care of, their future families and even the next generation after them. Why? Proper investing, something 90% of these idiots never do.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To go off the money topic a bit and back onto the OP's initial purpose for the thread, did anyone else listen to Mike Daniels interview on Packers.com? My head snapped around like it did during Jordy's interview.

He said he takes this poor defensive play personally and that he is personally going to make sure that this defense does not play like it has been and if that means hitting someone or getting in their face so be it, they are grown men. He did not just say this either, there was real emotion to it.

I LOVED this, he sounded like that defensive leader Woodson was for us, especially during the super bowl run.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...ackers-D/e6905d51-d2be-465c-9f1f-f2216ba921b0

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To go off the money topic a bit and back onto the OP's initial purpose for the thread, did anyone else listen to Mike Daniels interview on Packers.com? My head snapped around like it did during Jordy's interview.

He said he takes this poor defensive play personally and that he is personally going to make sure that this defense does not play like it has been and if that means hitting someone or getting in their face so be it, they are grown men. He did not just say this either, there was real emotion to it.

I LOVED this, he sounded like that defensive leader Woodson was for us, especially during the super bowl run.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...ackers-D/e6905d51-d2be-465c-9f1f-f2216ba921b0

I may get throttled for saying this but this was great to hear, I have been telling everyone i know for years that the Packers defense #1 problem is that they are soft. Period. I don't care what anyone says, they are weak, they get pushed around, and they have no nasty in them at all. It is honestly pathetic.

Until someone, anyone, on this defense comes around and instills, no, demands a sense of pride and a mean streak in this defense, it will continue to have problems.

So this was indeed nice to hear. Hopefully he can get other people on this defense feeling the same way.

Members online

Latest posts