Does anyone find this as refreshing as I do?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not often you hear a professional athlete say this concerning getting a contract:

"What I got in that last deal, I'll never spend it all anyway," Nelson said last week. "So I'm not worried about it." - Jordy Nelson

I understand this is a business but I am so sick of people that should be multi-millionaires whining about needing that extra million to feed their kids or pay the bills.

Here is novel idea, start living within your means and realize that a million dollars is not anything anymore. Any person who works their entire life can easily retire a millionair and live comfortably.

Some of these guys need to learn that just because you just got a 10 million signing bonus does not mean you are making 10 million a year for the rest of your life. Stop spending and living as if you were!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well I find his statement to be a humble one. He may not me a money grubber, but a slime ball agent will always push for more more more because their cut will be fatter that way. Jordy may be content, but greedy agents are not.
Is it possible to NOT have an agent and represent yourself?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I find his statement to be a humble one. He may not me a money grubber, but a slime ball agent will always push for more more more because their cut will be fatter that way. Jordy may be content, but greedy agents are not.

Yes it is, I believe Teddy Bruschi represented himself.

To stay on topic when I listened to the interview that statement caught my ear because it was refreshing. I don't understand why most athletes don't invest their money into stocks, bonds, and precious metals. It will almost certainly pay off in the future once the athlete has been retired for 10 years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Something else you do have to consider when it comes to spending.....a lot of NFL players grew up poor or at least lower middle class and to have basically unlimited cash all of a sudden is to tempting to go out and spend spend spend. I agree that they should set aside the vast majority for future and retirement, but the temptation of "bling" and houses and fast cars and fast women is to much for some guys to over look. Personally, I think Micheal Jordan is a damn good example of how to invest and save and keep on making money after your playing days are over.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly its an ego thing with athletes, they just cant handle getting less than a player they feel they are better than.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Tauscher repped himself when he re-signed with the team. Whether or not the agent wants more is a moot point, the player the final say. But they're usually saying "Gimme!"

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Tauscher repped himself when he re-signed with the team. Whether or not the agent wants more is a moot point, the player the final say. But they're usually saying "Gimme!"
Doug Pederson the longtime Packers backup quarterback did as well. Andrew Brandt said he called him every off-season to sign a new one year deal and the phone call only took about five minutes.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys wanting millions from guys who have billions will never resonate well with the average fan, regardless of whether they're nice about it. Meanwhile, ticket prices go up annually.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand players who were middle to lower round draft picks and UDFAs who succeed in the league and want to cash in when they first can, setting themselves and their families up financially. And I’m sure some players who have cashed in are just greedy but IMO ivo610 hit on it for most players once they’ve already made millions. Consider it in your own situation: What if you were significantly better in your job than a co-worker doing the same job but you both made the same money or you made less? That may have more to do with being unfair than an assault on your pride, but pride probably plays into it too. IMO pride is the over-riding issue for a lot of pro athletes in that situation.

I was glad to see Jordy make the statement he did. That indicates to me he’s as grounded as I thought he was. But in the end it’s what he agrees to that matters. I don’t expect he’ll have his agent squeeze the last dollar he can out of the Packers, but his contract will obviously be a significant one.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some players grew up with money (rich parents) and had it made before they even signed an NFL contract. This makes me curious if Jordy was one of those players.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The sad statistic is that most folks who win a Lotto or receive some sort of sudden cash windfall (e.g. inheritance) end up worse off financially within a couple years than they were prior to the receipt. IIRC, a study I saw stated that over 80% of Lotto winners over the past 20 years have ended up worse off. In many cases, they went from being financially and emotionally stable and gainfully employed, to unemployed, often alone and/or divorced and bankrupt. And, it didn't take long...

I believe that the short term "massive" earnings of top-level professional athletes is, in many ways, similar to being a Lotto winner. Hence, it is not surprising to see that many of these individuals do not spend/invest the wealth well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad statistic is that most folks who win a Lotto or receive some sort of sudden cash windfall (e.g. inheritance) end up worse off financially within a couple years than they were prior to the receipt. IIRC, a study I saw stated that over 80% of Lotto winners over the past 20 years have ended up worse off. In many cases, they went from being financially and emotionally stable and gainfully employed, to unemployed, often alone and/or divorced and bankrupt. And, it didn't take long...

I believe that the short term "massive" earnings of top-level professional athletes is, in many ways, similar to being a Lotto winner. Hence, it is not surprising to see that many of these individuals do not spend/invest the wealth well.

I think most of us would think that if we were given a multi-million dollar contract we'd put a full half of it away in investments and retirement. We're looking from the outside in, and most of these guys are in their 20s. At that age what may happen to you 30 or 40 years later seems like an eternity.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, it sounds like Jordy is a person for whom money isn't the most important thing in life. I've read enough about his offseason habits (he'd rather be home working on the farm with his folks and brother or hunting/fishing) to understand this is a man whose priorities look a lot different than many of his peers.

It is refreshing to see an athlete with some perspective about their career and their contract/earnings. For all the hate out there for Tom Brady, he's another guy I think has his head on straight about his contract. At various times he's played for significantly less than the top QB remuneration package out there, and I've never seen anything about him holding the team hostage to demands, etc. While he's not a farm boy like Jordy, his family influence on how he handles money shows up in his part ownership of Under Armour and investment in businesses which mean his money will make him money long after he throws his last football.

A lot of people don't talk to their kids about money. There's a HUGE pressure for schools to add financial education to the curriculum because so many families either lack understanding about how to steward finances or just think kids will pick it up. Sounds like someone made sure Jordy understood what money is, what you use it for and exactly what it means about you as a person- that's the refreshing part about it to me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people don't talk to their kids about money. There's a HUGE pressure for schools to add financial education to the curriculum because so many families either lack understanding about how to steward finances or just think kids will pick it up. Sounds like someone made sure Jordy understood what money is, what you use it for and exactly what it means about you as a person- that's the refreshing part about it to me.
Schools should have been doing this all along. As well as teaching other basic life skills. It's ridiculous that in a capitalist society that basic fundamental financial education is not a core part of the curriculum.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like the Packers have some humble guys on their roster. Here´s what James Starks had to say about his contract:

“(Running backs) have got a high risk of injuries, it’s a more dangerous position,” Starks said. “When you can keep yourself healthy and do what you’re supposed to do, you get paid well. We’re making enough money I think. We make a lot of money, I don’t see how anybody can’t be happy with this contract. I’m happy. I like playing football, so being paid for that in itself is good.”

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like the Packers have some humble guys on their roster. Here´s what James Starks had to say about his contract:

“(Running backs) have got a high risk of injuries, it’s a more dangerous position,” Starks said. “When you can keep yourself healthy and do what you’re supposed to do, you get paid well. We’re making enough money I think. We make a lot of money, I don’t see how anybody can’t be happy with this contract. I’m happy. I like playing football, so being paid for that in itself is good.”
Guys like this are a good fit in a small working class community like Green Bay. They blend in well with the fans and have plenty of opportunity after their playing days are over. We don't do as well with the hollywood types. Guys like Terrell Buckley don't belong here. Another consideration that Thompson has to deal with when putting together his draft board.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guys like this are a good fit in a small working class community like Green Bay. They blend in well with the fans and have plenty of opportunity after their playing days are over. We don't do as well with the hollywood types. Guys like Terrell Buckley don't belong here. Another consideration that Thompson has to deal with when putting together his draft board.

Mostly agree with that, but I think Matthews is more of a Hollywood type guy than being down to earth.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostly agree with that, but I think Matthews is more of a Hollywood type guy than being down to earth.
I haven't really seen or heard any interviews or anything about Clay that makes him seem like he's not a down to earth type of guy.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schools should have been doing this all along. As well as teaching other basic life skills. It's ridiculous that in a capitalist society that basic fundamental financial education is not a core part of the curriculum.

There are a lot of things schools are being asked to include in their curriculums now because families largely don't teach them to their own kids anymore- ethics, bullying, ****** education and values, physically active lifestyles, nutrition, the list goes on.

I teach high school- the curriculum I teach is already jammed to the gunnels. Being asked to pick up the dropped balls of two generations of parents on top of what I do is pretty ridiculous, IMHO. My point about Jordy was that it appears his upbringing has given him a sound picture of what money means and its place in his life. As a father, this is my job to pass along to my kids, not some teacher's. People of Jordy's views in positions of influence and prominence would serve to mitigate the fraud, corruption and malfeasance our capitalist society has seen skyrocket over the past twenty years (Enron, Fanny Mae & Freddy Mac)- if you're a parent, teach your kids what Jordy knows and lives by. They'll go out and be that kind of person financially for themselves, and for others...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There are a lot of things schools are being asked to include in their curriculums now because families largely don't teach them to their own kids anymore- ethics, bullying, ****** education and values, physically active lifestyles, nutrition, the list goes on.

I teach high school- the curriculum I teach is already jammed to the gunnels. Being asked to pick up the dropped balls of two generations of parents on top of what I do is pretty ridiculous, IMHO. My point about Jordy was that it appears his upbringing has given him a sound picture of what money means and its place in his life. As a father, this is my job to pass along to my kids, not some teacher's. People of Jordy's views in positions of influence and prominence would serve to mitigate the fraud, corruption and malfeasance our capitalist society has seen skyrocket over the past twenty years (Enron, Fanny Mae & Freddy Mac)- if you're a parent, teach your kids what Jordy knows and lives by. They'll go out and be that kind of person financially for themselves, and for others...
I don’t know about Canadian schools but I’d be happy if US schools would teach kids to read, write, and do math at their current grade levels. Beyond that if they could teach high school juniors and seniors skills that actually translate to the job market – or at least get them started, that’d be great. If Canadian schools are getting the same results as their US counterparts in these areas (and I really don’t know), your jammed curriculum is a mostly failing proposition IMO. Once basic skills are successfully being taught, I think it would be a great idea to teach the basics of every-day finances.

BTW, while there is corruption and malfeasance in our capitalist society (as well as every other society), I am not sure why you would include government-sponsored enterprises like Fanny and Freddy. IMO their government-sponsored involvement in the housing market was partially responsible for the 2008 meltdown.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don’t know about Canadian schools but I’d be happy if US schools would teach kids to read, write, and do math at their current grade levels. Beyond that if they could teach high school juniors and seniors skills that actually translate to the job market – or at least get them started, that’d be great. If Canadian schools are getting the same results as their US counterparts in these areas (and I really don’t know), your jammed curriculum is a mostly failing proposition IMO. Once basic skills are successfully being taught, I think it would be a great idea to teach the basics of every-day finances.

BTW, while there is corruption and malfeasance in our capitalist society (as well as every other society), I am not sure why you would include government-sponsored enterprises like Fanny and Freddy. IMO their government-sponsored involvement in the housing market was partially responsible for the 2008 meltdown.

IMO, the problem is largely not stemming from our schools or our teachers. To find the root cause, study what's happening, or not happening, within the American family. Start at the kitchen table.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, the problem is largely not stemming from our schools or our teachers. To find the root cause, study what's happening, or not happening, within the American family. Start at the kitchen table.
And the fact that it is seldom used anymore except to collect clutter. I have a whole litany of issues but this is not the proper forum for that.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Without delving into the particulars of whether capitalism is even possible in a pure form within a democracy, Fanny & Freddy are arguably essential financial infrastructure for a capitalist society. Their motivation and purpose, which originating from a government structure, serves the agenda of capitalism (at least in America). Even major companies require access to the funds F&F provide. Sometimes their eyes get bigger than their pocketbooks, however, which is one of the reasons the 2008 meltdown occurred, as you so aptly pointed out.

I'm not trying to advocate for a school system that teaches kids nothing apart from pure subject/content. I'm just a proponent that learning what you need to know in life can't only happen within a school. The kitchen table, Grandpa's workshop, Grandma's garden, the local church, synagogue or mosque, the scout/guide troop, your local minor sports association- all of theses are invaluable mechanisms for raising kids, and in many cases so many kids have no attachment to institutions within our communities that provided a valid and authentic platform for so much of the personal development that is now lacking. As a teacher, I just feel frustrated that we're so tunnel visioned that the problem is what happens in the classroom that we're missing huge opportunities to reframe the role of the greater community as a bedrock of growth and improvement.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A player is going to go for his best deal based on his values PERIOD. Those values may mean max dollars, playing in a particular city, or not hassling and taking an offer to get it done. I wouldn't call any professional greedy because he tries to maximize his compensation. Just like I wouldn't call a professional who turns down or doesn't pursue better offers complacent. Most of these guys have very short careers so they absolutely need to maximize that earning window. $5M in the bank at the end of your career should set you up for a lifetime draw of $200k a year. Very very few of these guys will achieve that from an NFL career.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
10 mill$ bonus - agent fee- taxes

Not saying it still isnt a lot, but it is not an actual 10 mill$ they put in bank

Members online

Latest posts