Does A-Rodgers becoming starter guarantee Ted an extension?

Reaction score
I've been wondering, it looks like Brett will be leaving after this year on most accounts, and that means we'll need a new starting QB for the first time in a long while next year.

It also looks like A-Rodgers would be that starter, because it'd be foolish to have spent 3 years on A-Rodgers, and all of a sudden bring in another starter.

My question is that let's say the Packers do bad this year (IE less than .500). When Rodgers takes over, there are bound to be some growing pains.

The thing that I wonder though is does Ted get an extension based on the assumption that Rodgers is such an inexperienced starter, and poor winning records would more-so reflect Rodgers learning on the job rather than Ted's incompetent GM abilities?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Simply put, the claims are that Ted is building a team to win despite the QB... so should it really matter if Arod starts or not... the is the reason for the ZBS and the stout defense right?

If Ted doesn't have it put together this year, will he be around next year to try for an extension?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Does A-Rodgers becoming starter guarantee Ted an extensi

I think that unless Harrell, Jackson, and Jones completly bomb, TT will still be GM for awhile. He would have to prove that his picks were lousy before his job is at stake.
JMO

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that guarantees Ted an extension is winning. If the team does not win and improve, then he is guaranteed nothing.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's safe to say that Aaron Rodgers and Ted Thompson will have a say on if one or the other stays or goes. I think their successes are tied together, that's for sure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't think any GM gets an extension because a QB gets starter by default. And I don't see Rodgers ever being able to supplant Favre. Only time I see that happening is when Favre retires.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who says A-Rod will be the starter?

People say TTs job is in the hands of A-rod. I disagree.

it is up to TT to obviously make sure that position is handled correctly.

-It could be giving A-rod a chance, and making necessary changes after a season or two.
-It could be going with someone else entirely and not going the A-Rod route.
-It could be drafting a QB in a couple years if\when favre retires, and these years were used to have a high caliber insurance policy.

I expect there to be hardcore competition at that position. TT seems to do this at just about every position. COMPETITION among young players. I'd expect it again when Favre retires.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-It could be giving A-rod a chance, and making necessary changes after a season or two.
-It could be drafting a QB in a couple years if\when favre retires, and these years were used to have a high caliber insurance policy.

I expect there to be hardcore competition at that position. TT seems to do this at just about every position. COMPETITION among young players. I'd expect it again when Favre retires.

Nobody's handing him the starting job.
But him drafting Aaron in the first round was definitely a statment
on TT's regime. Aaron needs to succeed and win that starting job
and that will further enhance TT's reputation to pick the right people.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers, Favre, Thompson, Harlan, Jones, McCarthy, Moss, Sanders, Schottenheimer, Philbin. All non-related factors and issues affecting the Packers fortunes this season. However, if the Packers have a losing record this coming season, I think you'll see all the above become interrelated factors in decisions that will shape the future of the team and the organization.

In other words, I don't think this one year time frame for a search of the next President & CEO of the Packers is just a coincidence. There are people who are not at all pleased with booing fans and a half empty stadium (funded in part by the community) at Lambeau Field during the second half of nationally televised home games. I don't think it will allowed to continue after this season, regardless of who's the QB.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers, Favre, Thompson, Harlan, Jones, McCarthy, Moss, Sanders, Schottenheimer, Philbin. All non-related factors and issues affecting the Packers fortunes this season. However, if the Packers have a losing record this coming season, I think you'll see all the above become interrelated factors in decisions that will shape the future of the team and the organization.

In other words, I don't think this one year time frame for a search of the next President & CEO of the Packers is just a coincidence. There are people who are not at all pleased with booing fans and a half empty stadium (funded in part by the community) at Lambeau Field during the second half of nationally televised home games. I don't think it will allowed to continue after this season, regardless of who's the QB.

this is speculative crap. The current events have nothing to do with anything other than Harlan simply grooming the wrong guy for the job. He picked a guy he thought could do it, and Jones showed that he couldnt handle the jpb... it has nothing to do with ted thompson. or the board demanding change or any crap like that..... simply wasnt the man for the job. quit readin into it.

likewise, Ted Thompsons future has absolutely zero relationship to Aaron Rodgers. If A-rod cant get the job done, and Thompson fails to find a replacement then his future is in doubt. he was a number one pick, fell to 24, any GM in the freakin league that had a star QB threatening to leave would have picked a number one pick QB in the draft.... the two have no correlation whatsoever.

regardless of A-rods success, and regardless of John Jones being fired, Ted Thompson will be the GM AT LEAST until his contract is up. which i think is like 2011. get used to him.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted will be around at least to the end of his contract, and rightly so as it will be about that time that his 1st 3 drafts will show what he has or hasn't done.
I don't think Ted's success or failure is riding solely on Rodgers back, but it will be based on his overall job.
I do believe Rodgers will be able to lead the Packers to success if Ted is truely the drafting genious many make him out to be.
Football is still a team sport.

Tileman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the fact that Jones got sacked or un-hired, will have much more of a impact on TT's tenure then Rodgers will ever have. I think TT's done a fairly good job thus far. I certainly don't agree with everything he's done, but I do however totally agree with his belief in building through the draft and not over paying for FA's that have more then likely had the best years with another team.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookie Rodgers a starter!!

Oh my side hurts from laughing.

All the best wishes for Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, Jon Hadl, Jim Del Gazo, David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, did not make them great.

Ingle Martin has the right name to add to the list above. I hope he proves otherwise.

Rodgers contract will be over soon enough. When Brett retires in 2009 or 2010 there will be drama. Bringing in the experienced free agent and another high draft pick will hurt Ingle's feelings.

Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, Ted Thompson will then have made his name in Packer history for the positive or the negative.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:

"statment"-statement

"But him"-Never start a sentence with but.

"Aaron needs to succeed..." -'Aaron's success will enhance TT's reputation'.
The rest of the sentence is redundant.

"Have a nice day".

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

this is speculative crap. The current events have nothing to do with anything other than Harlan simply grooming the wrong guy for the job. He picked a guy he thought could do it, and Jones showed that he couldnt handle the jpb... it has nothing to do with ted thompson. or the board demanding change or any crap like that..... simply wasnt the man for the job. quit readin into it.

likewise, Ted Thompsons future has absolutely zero relationship to Aaron Rodgers. If A-rod cant get the job done, and Thompson fails to find a replacement then his future is in doubt. he was a number one pick, fell to 24, any GM in the freakin league that had a star QB threatening to leave would have picked a number one pick QB in the draft.... the two have no correlation whatsoever.

regardless of A-rods success, and regardless of John Jones being fired, Ted Thompson will be the GM AT LEAST until his contract is up. which i think is like 2011. get used to him.

You may call my post what you wish. Unlike your post stating your opinion as fact, I clearly stated mine as merely my opinion of the situation. Hopefully, someday you'll be able to get to the point where you won't be so insecure about opinions that disagree with yours that you have to resort to calling them names like "crap" in an attempt to make yours seem any more relevant or valid than they really are.

As to Ted Thompson, not being one who can see into the future I have no idea what his tenure in Green Bay will be. If I'm not mistaken he signed a five year contract and is in his 3rd year, which would mean it is up after the 2009 season. And if he still hasn't built a team by then that can produce a winning season, my guess is that we'll be getting used to him being somewhere else.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cal2GreenBay said:
tromadz said:

"statment"-statement

"Have a nice day".

Grammatical and spelling errors are overlooked(don't be so cavalier to think people actually don't know better) AND are acceptable in webspace..sorry to let you in on that secret. Get used to it. It'll drive you nuts if you don't let em SLIDE. =) Maybe it's too late.

Hukd Awn Fonex Wurked Fur U

Nevertheless, thank you minion for spell checking me and grammer checking a blog response...not an essay. And w/out pay!

Now fetch my shoes... and try to actually to do some comprehension on the topic instead of getting caught up in spelling errors.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

net said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
tromadz said:

"statment"-statement

"Have a nice day".

Grammatical and spelling errors are overlooked(don't be so cavalier to think people actually don't know better) AND are acceptable in webspace..sorry to let you in on that secret. Get used to it. It'll drive you nuts if you don't let em SLIDE. =) Maybe it's too late.

Nevertheless, thank you minion for spell checking me and grammer checking a blog response...not an essay. And w/out pay!

Now fetch my shoes... and try to actually to do some comprehension on the topic instead of getting caught up in spelling errors.

Odd that you would be talking to me about the joys of illiteracy on the web, since you took me to task in a long(and totally unnecessarily personal) attack when I challenged the performance of Aaron Rodgers.

I guess what's good for the gander ISN'T good for the goose.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cal2GreenBay said:
net said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
tromadz said:

"statment"-statement

"Have a nice day".

Odd that you would be talking to me about the joys of illiteracy on the web, since you took me to task in a long(and totally unnecessarily personal) attack when I challenged the performance of Aaron Rodgers.

I guess what's good for the gander ISN'T good for the goose.

Was this a touche then? Ah..you got me then! Incredulous!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT is here at least 2 more years no matter what. I bet they let him "play" out the rest of his contract. McCarthy on the other hand is a different story. He has one year left after this. If the Packers make the playoffs this year, I could see him getting a two year extension. If the Packers finish with a winning record or 8-8, I could see him getting the Mike Sherman one year vote of confidence extension.

TT on the other hand I believe will finish out his contract. Now if Favre starts the next two years and Rodgers takes over in the third then I could see Thompson getting a one year extension, if the team does well. Five years is the original contract I believe he signed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion that's long enough to tell whether or not he's building a good team regardless of whether Rodgers is the starter. So I don’t believe Rodgers starting will get him the contract extension. I believe Rodgers starting and playing well in his first year will. If that happens then I see an extension. If not then I see change taken place. A lot of this depends on whether or not Favre plays another year after.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts