1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DoddPower

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Jun 16, 2008.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packerforum name: “DoddPower”
    Real name (first only): Ryan
    Age (optional): 23
    Current City: Asheville, N.C.
    Hometown: Asheville, N.C.

1) How did you choose your screen name?

I really don’t know. Dodd is my last name; I have a proud family, so I just went with it. Long live the Dodd’s! heh.

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I grew up in Asheville, N.C., a small hippie town. As I was growing up I had a strong family base and the town was small. However, in the past five year, Asheville has been exploding like crazy, probably some of the fastest growth per capita of any growing city. All the locally owned businesses and such are being chased out by corporate interests such as Wal-Mart, Starbucks, etc., and a once unique town is becoming just like every other. Located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and surrounded by the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s quite a beautiful place. I’m not as close to all of my family as I used to be, but I am quite close to my mom and dad, both of which are still pretty young, which is nice.

3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such?

I played Baseball for 11 years. Mostly catcher and short-stop. I started playing football around age eleven through my junior year of high school when heel spurs, money, and laziness made me quit. I could have continued playing and it bugs me almost daily that I didn’t. My team (with whom I was the starting center and played some defensive end as well on) went on to win the 4-A State Championship. I kind of feel like Al Bundy already dreaming about my old football days, but I wish I would have continued to play. It was so much fun.

As far as clubs and such go, I did Journalism for awhile. Designed the school newspaper, wrote a few articles and such. It was neat. Other then that, I tried to stay away from my high school as much as possible.

4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years?

All the partying and good times. I was a fairly wild teenager and got into quite a bit of drinking, smoking, and partying at a young age. However, I was still able to get the things done I needed to do and made it out alive. However, a lot of my teenage years seem like a waste because of it. I feel like I could have done a lot more with my time, but it was still a great time in my life. Definitely figured a lot of things out about myself during this time. Thank god for my digital camera to remind me of many of nights I might have otherwise forgotten lol.

I also think about my Granddad often who died when I was 20. We had a VERY close relationship and I miss the time I used to spend with him. It’s always sad to see a very strong willed man be taken down by diabetes and illness.

Also, just the general feeling of “innocence” and cluelessness that I possessed during this time. I felt very free and really had no idea what was going on in the world. I’m not sure if I do now or not, but certainly more then that.

5) What was your first job?

A bag boy at a local supermarket named “Ingles.” Started the day I turned 16 and worked there for five straight years. It was a very good experience and I cherish my time I spent there.

6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers?

I don’t really know. I have been a fan since about 7. No one in my family was much of a fan at that time. My high schools colors were green and gold and I liked football. I started watching some games and was drawn to the color of the Packers. I witness Favre playing and was hooked. I just loved the style and intensity of the team in the 93-94 years and have been addicted since.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers?

Well, that would have to be going to Lambeau field recent for a game. The town of Green Bay is awesome and I can’t wait to go back. It holds a special place in my heart.

8 ) How did you find the Packerforum and what keeps you active on the site?

I don’t remember how I came across it. I believe I was just browsing packer sites and liked that this forum was smaller and I could actually keep up with the discussions. I read for about 6 months until I finally started posting a bit. I use it as my main news source and I love the discussion, insight, and community feeling associated with this board. It was really neat meeting a few people from here and I’m looking forward to meeting some more.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

I have the NFL Sunday ticket, so I watch as much football as I can. I watch the NFL Network more often then anything other then the discovery channel, so I follow several football teams, whether I’m a huge fan or not. After the Packers, I like the Panthers (local team, go to a few games a year), and even the Bronco’s a bit. My dad is a big fan and I have met Elway a few times and such. Don’t kill me! But I must admit, when I say like, it’s a very minor like. I mainly just like the Packers. However, the Browns have been fun to watch lately.

Other then football, I like me some college basketball, especially My UNC Tarheels, even if they choked this year. I watch a little NBA but can’t get into it too much. Mainly just a football and college basketball guy.

10) When you’re not on Packerforum what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Going to school, working a little job somewhere. I spend a lot of time outdoors, camping, backpacking, Kayaking, mountain biking, etc. I’m surrounded by some amazing outdoors and I take advantage of it whenever possible. I love being outside.

However, most my time is spent hanging out with my awesome girlfriend.

11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be?

Hmmm, not sure. Anything would be great honestly. It would be hard to be too picky.

12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau?

Just one. But I’m going back soon. I have a few corporate friends up there that hook me up with a free apartment and tickets. It kind of pisses me off because this dude has extra tickets for every game and isn’t even interested in going. He actually gives tickets away sometimes. He’s a packer fan, but not much of one. Must be nice, huh??

13) What is your worst fear?

Umm, failure I suppose? Or disappointing those that mean to the most to me? I choose not to perceive a whole lot of fear though. It’s not something I acknowledge often. I am kind of scared of heights though.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

See question 10. Hiking, backpacking, running, Kayaking, biking, girlfriend, sleeping, learning, etc.

15) What’s your favorite food?

Cheese Curds!! Lol. My mid-western favorite. I also really love Pizza, spinach, and pretty much anything gourmet that is cooked for me pretty often. The girlfriend is a gourmet cook.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

I have been all over the south pretty much. I really liked New Orleans and it’s a tragedy what happened down there. I haven’t been back since Katrina, but I would like to. I like visiting Atlanta fairly often for concerts and such. Florida is ok in spells. I really want to go spend some time out west. Sometime soon hopefully. My favorite places are the Blue Ridge Mountains around me honestly. I spend a lot of time in the Pisgah National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains. Just can’t get enough.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Go out West, definitely. I would love to go to Alaska. I want to skydive. I want to spend more time up in Green Bay. Wisconsin seems like such a cool place, but maybe it’s just because I’m a packer fan? Heh. I’d like to have a child or two eventually. Own a house with some land. Have an enjoyable career, etc. etc. blah blah. Fairly generic things I suppose, but true none-the-less.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be?

Probably out in the country somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains. Perhaps out in the Rockies somewhere, but I can’t really say yet since I have been there. I dream about having a place where I have some privacy from neighbors, can farm a bit, etc. etc. I like a bit of isolation.

19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason.

1. Brett Favre. Kind of a given I suppose. Probably the main reason I got into Packer football.
    2. Nick Barnett. I know he’s a newer breed, but I’ve been seriously following the packers for only the past four years or so, once I was finally able to get the Sunday ticket and watch all the games. I love his aggressive style and his play on the field. If he could just keep his nose clean off the field.
    3. Ahman Green. I loved this guy. He had a very hard style of running and I loved watching him play.
    4. Antonia Freeman. It was just always exciting for me to watch him play. I know he wasn’t the best, but I liked him.
    5. This is such a toss up. I could put several people here, like William Henderson, Greg Jennings, Winters, KGB, A.J Hawk, Kampman, Driver, etc. etc. After about the top four, the love all becomes pretty equal. Hopefully Aaron Rodger’s will be on this list soon!

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite Packerforum memories?

Definitely meeting some people from the forum. It was neat. Other then that, just all of the cool insights and what not that I get from reading the different posts.

21) Anything else you’d like to say?

Um . . . Let’s go Rodgers!!!?

22) Who do you nominate to be the next PF Interview?

PWT36 – Phil. He obviously is a wealth of knowledge, let’s learn more about him!

P.S. Sorry about the delay everyone. I have been on vacation and have been slack. But I told you I’d get it done! =)

AADP note - I deserve most of the blame though, Dodd got me his interview a couple of weeks ago, but due to some stuff going on I was unable to post it. Sorry for the delay.

2. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Good interview Ryan. Well worth the wait. :beer: Good nomination as well. Phil = awesome!

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Cool read Dodd.. The Blue Ridge mountains are some of the prettiest country in this land.. I was on a business trip a couple years ago.. stayed in Boone, NC at the nicest Best Western I have seen.. the drive from there to Fletcher, NC was excellent.. would make that drive again in a heart beat.

BTW AADP.. the delay costs you "40 lashes with a wet noodle", Trom will carry out the punishment.. :lol:

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good read Dodd!
    Uh...."Antonia" Freeman??? Did he have a sex change???(JK!!!)LOLOL!!!

5. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    Oh yeah, I have to agree. I LOVE these mountains. It's certainly a pleasure to live right in the middle of them. As much as I love the midwest . . I would miss these mountains like crazy if / when I move away.

Boone is an amazing place. Fletcher is just about 20 mins from where I live. Sweet!

Thanks for the comment.

And Cheesy . . . LOL .. OPPS!!

6. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great interview!! I have been to the smoky mountains a few times, its an awesome place with awesome views. I like Antonio Freeman as well, he wasnt the best player but with him and Brett together it was very exciting to watch.

7. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Another good read. Another great nomination.

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
  9. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    indeed, one of these a week would be great, even to know peoples hometowns is pretty neat as we get to know just how national (and global in my case) this little community is. :)

10. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Ryan.... Preytell.... How is the fishing in the Blue Ridge Mountains? I can imagine pristine wilderness on a river and a fly rod leaning on a tree beside my campfire.

This was well worth the wait. Look after your special girlfriend and treat her well.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heh. You should do sales for the North Carolina department of tourism. I now want to go there.

12. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I lived in Asheville from 1992-95. Great town. I probably shopped at the same Ingles where you worked, though I think you would've been too young to have been working there yet. I did a lot of hiking in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Mount Mitchell was a beast to climb!

I still have friends in Asheville. I last visited them in 2003.

13. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    would love to read Phil's story now :) any updates Ryan/Mods?

14. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    Oh cool! That's awesome! It is a neat town. I like it a lot. There is an unlimited amount of hiking in this area. It's wild. My new thing lately has really been Kayaking. Little did I know I lived in such a paddling mecca. TONS of rivers all within short distances. It's great. I'm also just about to buy a jet-ski. I can't wait to hit the waters with that!

And RP, the fishing is great here of course. I have yet to learn to fly fish, but I love trout fishing and wading around the rivers. I love the water! Lots of people fly fish in this area and it's something I hope to learn soon.

Zombie, thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind! =)