1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Do you Volunteer?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, May 9, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,080
    Wondering if anyone here volunteers and if so what do you volunteer for?

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Make a Wish...My son was granted a wish to Florida few years back, this is my way of paying them back.

I am what they call a wish granter..I go to the home of the child with a wish..Talk to the entire family and help them decide on the right wish..

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    I have volunteered for a nursing home and the animal shelter. The nursing home was more hands on, I got to interact with the patients. Mainly playing games like Scrabble and Bingo, reading them the paper and such. The animal shelter was mainly clerical work. Stuffing envelopes and folding brochures. I enjoyed both very much.

4. packerstl101

packerstl101 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    i sometimes help out at a summer camp. i am a counslor there or i run activities.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,080
    I volunteer at the humane society time to time and am involved with big brothers big sisters. Thinking about volunteering at the local fire dept as well.

6. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +869
    LT- sorry to see that your son was a recipient of Make-A-Wish's attention. Best wishes to you and your family.

I strongly second LT's support for Make-A-Wish- which is an absolute fantastic charity. Got involved myself 9 years ago when a neighbor's daughter had leukemia. Their trip to Disney World, courtesy of Make-A-Wish, Disney, and Southwest Airlines brought smiles to a family and a dying 9 year old when it was hugely needed and most certainly deserved.

Since then, Make-A-Wish gets a check from me every single year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,025
    I have coached each of my children in at least one sport if not more. I still do softball at school though the ages are in a gap and I don't have any playing this year. I am coaching fastpitch softball for my avatar's team. Modified pitch for a few years to get the girls from t-ball to real softball. Of course along with coaching comes umping , reffing, and score keeping on off nights.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    I volunteered the Navy and I learned my lesson. Navy = Never Again Volunteer Yourself

9. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    I volunteer for a hospital foundation but it is mainly to get something on a pretty light resume as I am right out of university. :(

10. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219
    If I am feeling real ambitious, occasionally I will volunteer to take out the garbage...

11. sped2010

sped2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Special Olympics... the best moment was being asked to the Special O dance a couple summers ago by a 12 y/o boy in a wheelchair. He had a ball, and so did I.

I've also volunteered in quite a few classrooms, mainly Title I as I was in Title I in elementary school and it is awesome to give back.

A few summers ago I volunteered during the first summer of the Miracle League in Allouez, WI... the 6 y/o boy I buddied with (it's a baseball league for kids with special needs) ran onto the field as Deanna Favre was giving the opening speech and all the media was there. It was great. :lol:

I volunteer (when I can - when my summer job doesn't run into it) at Syble Hopp's annual trip to Lion's Camp. Syble Hopp is a school entirely for students with special needs and they take the kids for an entire week to Lion's Camp. I'm a volunteer counselor.

I love volunteering. :) I was a patient at Shriner's Children's Hospital in Chicago for 12 years and my goal is to get a teaching job (I just graduated) close to Chicago so I can volunteer at the hospital. I was all set to be a Big Sister for BBBS a year ago but then I moved to student teach so it didn't work out, unfortunately.

If it was possible to make a living off volunteering I would do it. People think I'm crazy, but I do nothing solely for the money. As long as I have the means to live (meaning a place to sleep, eat, and relax) my focus is on being happy... and volunteering makes me happy.

God, this was a sappy post.

• Like Like x 3
  12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Not sappy...It was awesome

13. sped2010

sped2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Well good, because I tend to get strange looks when I tell people that I would rather volunteer than have a good-paying office job or something similar. Not that the latter would ever happen anyway, because I have ADHD and am unable to sit still hence why becoming a special education teacher was the best decision I ever made. Can't sit still when you have kids overturning desks in the classroom threatening to kill you!

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,080
    It also never hurts with the ladies if you tell them you volunteer.

15. sped2010

sped2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    I am a lady, so that might not work for me. ;) I need a man.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,080
    ... well your less likely to meet a jerk while your volunteering

wow I spun that pretty well lol.

17. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    You are an awesome person.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matty Flynn

Matty Flynn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +42
    I volunteer at the to big bike races in my area. I also volunteer at the Birkebeiner every year.

19. KyPackerFireFighter

KyPackerFireFighter Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes i volunteer im a Volunteer firefight i risk my life on my spare time to helps others and rescue victims and there houses ive had close call and i support all the others vols out there

• Like Like x 2
  20. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I have nothing but respect for fire fighters and medics.
    Cops? That's a different story.
    But anyone who works in the rescue business, volunteer or paid, my hats off to you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,025
    Last week my co-ed school team (8th graders mostly) won their first ever modified pitch (no windmill, no arc) softball tournament. We never tried it before. This week the boys won their slowpitch tournament. First time any one can remember. We're a smaller school in this.

22. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Currently, I knit hats for new born babies at the hospital and I knit blankets for the veterans at the VA hospital. I used to volunteer at the local animal shelter as well nursing home. I like working charity events for organizations such as breast cancer, lung cancer, diabetes, AIDS, and animal welfare awareness. I don't do as much as I used to but I do it when I am able to and I enjoy it very much. I like to work with kids, who are faced with so much yet they still have such light in their eyes and their hearts radiate pure joy. I like doing those volunteer events the most because there is something inspiring about them that makes me want to be a better person.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    When I was a teenager I volunteered at a hospital & when I was old enough to be a Big brother in the Big brother Big Sister org. I did that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Are you a volunteer for them?

25. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +738
    I volunteer for some orphanages in Burma, mostly collecting money and visiting them on my trips to Burma.
    A poor country but impressing what money can do if you support a private and small help project with many friends who care for this beautiful country, though it has not been easy to be there because of the military government.