1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you fear your own death?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Zombie brought up a counterpoint in another thread that drew my interest in taking a quick straw poll of what folks here thought in general...

Do you fear your own demise?

Personally, I don't fear dying as a act itself, I fear not leaving those around me in sound enough shape to carry on well. Example, if I would pass now, do I have the proper means laid out to care for my children, wife and family?

But as far as dying itself, I can't really say I fear it, sooner or later it is going to happen. I live my life to enjoy it, when that comes to a close it comes to a close.

Will I miss those around me and the other material things on this earth, yes, but without going in a religious direction I will leave it as we shall see what the next chapter is.

Now back to do I think most folk fear death itself, yes I do... but maybe I am naïve in my thinking, so I thought why not take a quick sampling here..

2. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know where I am going so I have nothing to fear.

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Prior to last year, I feared dying having not ever been to Lambeau. Now that I have been to Lambeau, I fear death a lot less.

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Pack93z.

I don't necessarily fear my own death, because I'm a religious person. However, I do fear what would happen to my wife and son with me gone. I'd worry that I wouldn't be there to help them.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't fear death itself.........i know where i'm going. (If i'm wrong, i won't know or care then :wink: )
    My fear is suffering. I have been sick a long time now, and it draws on you after awhile. I fear being a burdon on my wife. (I mean more then i already am)

6. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    For me it's not a fear of death, but a fear of the unknown. I actually believe that I will die at a relatively early age (50s?)- not sure why, just something I have always felt.
    I am not an overly religious person, but I do have my own personal beliefs about God. Some times the status of the world make me believe we are all a lot closer to the end of days than we think.

7. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yaay, I walk in the valley of death. Yet I fear not, for I have Jennings.

8. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    seriously, I am forgiven and a believer. I fear how I will die but not what happens next.

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    I dont fear the act unless it is going to be horrible, I have always "thought or felt" I would die tragically..Maybe it means I will die wearing a Viking or Bears jersey?

As far as where will I go? I will be okay once I find out I bet.

But as you all have said, I hope everything is laid out enough to where my family won't have to be burden with extra things AFTER I am gone

10. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No fear here...it has ben pre-ordained that I shall not perish before the Vikes win the Super Bowl.

Seriously, the thought of my own death does not bother me. When the time comes, I will embrace it.

11. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's cuz you live in Chi-go!

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I never thought i would live to see 45. Thats because my Dad died at 44, my brother 43. Yet i'm still here..........i didn't expect this.
    But i MUST be here for a reason.
    I just wish i knew what it was.

13. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Damn trip beat me to my reply.

14. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    after watching my dad die peacefully after being in a good amount of pain for nearly 2 years, i have absolutely no fear of death whatsoever. this may sound like a strange statement but the way he handled his diagnosis of terminal cancer, continued farming, just lived his life the way he always had, i can only hope i am able to emulate that when my time comes.

15. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I stand corrected.. on a very short straw poll, it appears I assumed incorrectly.. not the first time and certainly not the last..

Thanks for taking part.

16. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I fear death, just because I am afraid of the unknown, am I going to suffer before I pass? Am I going to get a horrible disease? What does it feel like to die? Or what does it feel like to know that in years, days, minutes I will no longer be here on earth with my family, are they going to be okay? Provided for? After I die, will I see all my loved ones that have passed before me?

When my time has ended on this earth, I hope my son knows how much I cherished him, how much I loved him and how proud I am of him. This is why I dont let a day go by without hugs, kisses and I love you's. Because you just never know if you will ever see them again.

This is why I dont sweat the small stuff, there is just way to much to be thankful for in your lifetime to worry about little things. Take each day as it comes and feel blessed with each breath that you take.

17. BadlandsViking

BadlandsViking Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't fear death

I want to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 95

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    So........you will lose your virginity at 95??? :lol:
    (sorry.....couldn't resist!!!!) :wink: :lol:

19. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We have very similar experiences packgirl. Three of Dad's 4 sons were fortunate enuf to be able to spend the night with him before he went. And after 5 years of fighting cancer it was over so quickly it was amazing.
    By the time it took to go get Mother it was over.

20. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Fear death? After watching the Vikings led by Brad Childress and Tarvaris Jackson last season I almost wished for it on many Sundays.

21. ElleBlue

ElleBlue Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you, Tripp. I'm a believer too.

22. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Methusalah's in trouble then.

23. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as I'm not there to see it, I'm fine with it. :shock:

My savior, Augie Pabst, has a spot in his beer garden for me, so I'm fine and dandy. :beer:

24. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Now, that is a death to fear.

Imagine, you lose a bet with a Vikings or Bears fan and you have to wear a jersey for the day. Then you get hit by a car as you're crossing the street and die. That would really suck. You'd be in limbo, looking at your dead body wearing a Bears or Vikings jersey and knowing that that's how they'll remember you. The horror!