Do we rest Favre & others next week?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let 'em play the first quarter or two, and tell them to kick the tar outta the Lions. Then, pull the guys like Barnett & Hawk & Cliffy & Favre & Al Woodson & Collins & Pick, where we have less depth than other postitions.

I think the biggest key here is where individuals are health-wise coming into the game. It looks like Jennings and Rodgers are gonna sit out the entire game, due to pre-existing injuries, and I'd be shocked to see Woody playing more than a quarter and a half.

Momentum is important for sure, and it'd be nice to hit our playoff bye on a winning note, but it sounds like MM just wants the guys to play fundamentally sound, not necessarily win the game, and then get rested and healthified for the Seahawks.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Ditka talking about how you have to be careful of resting players.
He made a special point about the Indianappolis Colts and what happened to them.

Peyton Manning also made a point about that. He was really upset about '05. Rest starters, and go one and out.

If we rest our starters and go one and out, I'm going to be really pissed.

This is the NFL. You play 16 games. Why should game #16 be many times more dangerous than games 1-15? It makes no sense.

Sure, I'd rest Gregorious, and in the 2nd half I'll probably rest Woodson as well. If we have a commanding lead in the 4th Q, I'd rest Favre and Grant. but we should still play this game to win.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
He made a special point about the Indianappolis Colts and what happened to them.

Peyton Manning also made a point about that. He was really upset about '05. Rest starters, and go one and out.

This is the NFL. You play 16 games. Why should game #16 be many times more dangerous than games 1-15? It makes no sense.

Sure, I'd rest Gregorious, and in the 2nd half I'll probably rest Woodson as well. If we have a commanding lead in the 4th Q, I'd rest Favre and Grant. but we should still play this game to win.

Bingo. What scares me is the thought of the Packers pressing early to get a big lead and get the starters out. We could find ourselves staring down a deficit if we are not careful. Play your game, play to win and if you get up by 3-4 TD's then pull the guys.

Resting Players is not a good idea for this team. Momentum is crucial

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
yooperfan said:

Bingo. What scares me is the thought of the Packers pressing early to get a big lead and get the starters out. We could find ourselves staring down a deficit if we are not careful. Play your game, play to win and if you get up by 3-4 TD's then pull the guys.

Resting Players is not a good idea for this team. Momentum is crucial

I think this game should be treated like a preseason game, and from what I've read, that's how McCarthy will play it. The most important thing will be to get quality work out of the starters, even if the backups lose the game. Hopefully it will be like that game against the Bears a few years ago, where Sherman played the starters into the second quarter and they got ahead by a couple touchdowns, then the backups (led by Craig Nall, who played very well) coasted to victory.

It's too bad Aaron Rodgers has the sore hamstring. This would've been a good experience for him. But maybe Nall can finish this thing off.

I would like to see most of the starters play the entire first half, and maybe into the third quarter. But from what I'm hearing, there are some who probably won't play at all (Woodson, Jennings), and others who will get pulled early.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This post is just a thinly veiled attempt at trying to get Rodgers a "start" this season.... :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

Woodson is more then likely out..Had some sort of work done on his toe

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what i heard....Woodson won't be playing. But if he's more healthy now for the playoff push, thats better for us seeing as the Lions game doesn't affect our positioning at all.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the game means nothing and the Packers aren't playing to win, only to stay healthy, why even play it at all? Just walk on the field and hand the ball to the Lions and walk off. That way they can keep everybody healthy. Why take a chance with key backups like Nall, Blackmon or Jackson getting hurt over a meaningless game? Or better yet, just give the fans their money back so they can save it up to see a game that the team is actually going to play to win.

The NFL is talking about adding another game to the season. Why bother, the last game of the year means nothing to most teams now as it is. Half the teams aren't playing their starters and the other half is trying to lose to get a better draft pick.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the game means nothing and the Packers aren't playing to win, only to stay healthy, why even play it at all? Just walk on the field and hand the ball to the Lions and walk off. That way they can keep everybody healthy. Why take a chance with key backups like Nall, Blackmon or Jackson getting hurt over a meaningless game? Or better yet, just give the fans their money back so they can save it up to see a game that the team is actually going to play to win.

The NFL is talking about adding another game to the season. Why bother, the last game of the year means nothing to most teams now as it is. Half the teams aren't playing their starters and the other half is trying to lose to get a better draft pick.

They rested a lot of their starters, but they still blew out the Lions. The stadium was packed and everyone had a great time. Guess you'll have to find something else to complain about. It's been a tough season for you, I know.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely say we rest all our starteres next week. They are all getting old now...

Oh, wait... they are the youngest team in the NFL - never mind on that account.

OOPS, next week is our bye week going into the playoffs...sorry just getting ready for the (blank) (fill in the blank with Seahawks/Bucs/Giants)

GO PACK GO

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
They rested a lot of their starters, but they still blew out the Lions. The stadium was packed and everyone had a great time. Guess you'll have to find something else to complain about. It's been a tough season for you, I know.

Hey Greg, if you're content with Packer players like Spitz, Grant, Coston and Grant getting injured in a meaningless game against a team that was obviously playing with half-hearted effort, more power to you. Although I doubt if they had as great a time as everyone else did.

As to the season and my complaints, no complaints here. I had a great season and so did the Packers. It's not like I live in Michigan or Illinois or something. :-?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think thaere is anyquestion they are going to take the day off next sunday...

They will probably be plowing, skiing, skating, Ice fishing, bowling... ANYTHING but playing football...

As matter of fact, they will know exactly what the non-playoff bound players will be doing... Only, the Packers will be thinking about PLAYING the week after in the frozen tundra...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Hey Greg, if you're content with Packer players like Spitz, Grant, Coston and Grant getting injured in a meaningless game against a team that was obviously playing with half-hearted effort, more power to you. Although I doubt if they had as great a time as everyone else did.

As to the season and my complaints, no complaints here. I had a great season and so did the Packers. It's not like I live in Michigan or Illinois or something. :-?

You've got me thoroughly confused. Your original post seemed to be making fun of the idea of resting starters. But now you are complaining about starters getting injured in the game. I give up.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the way the game shaped up was exactly what I planned for. My last take one the Rodgers squabble till the year is over is the way he played in Dallas is enough for me to overlook the injury side for now. Now let's leave it alone as we'll have all offseason to hash it through

Members online