Do We "really" need Brett's Decision Right Aw

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this piece on Brett's Decision and thought it was worth the read, Enjoy:

Favre's Retirement: Do We Need The Decision Right Now?
By C.D. Angeli - Packerchatters Staff
Thursday, 26 January 2006
Well, the Packer news must be trickling in slowly this week: there’s no new fuel in the Ted Thompson debates, McCarthy is busy saying non-controversial things, and the new coaching hires are barely making blips on the radar. No signings, no free agents, no big news….what to talk about, what to talk about....must be time to pile on Brett Favre!!!

Like many fans, I’m not sure what has become more grating, tired, and almost humorous: the annual waiting game Brett Favre takes in making his decision whether or not to return to the NFL, or the annual wailing and gnashing of teeth by an apparently bored media and fan base fretting over Brett Favre’s decision whether or not to return to the NFL.

Sadly, both have become as predictable as Tom Rossley’s playcalling.

Without any other major Packer headlines to write about (and without any other major headline to complain about), the media (and fans) have begun the annual dissection of all things Favre, questioning everything from his integrity, his ability, his desire, his parentage, and how much control he has over the Packer franchise.

No, seriously. Favre’s control over the Packers comes into question. I wasn’t making that up.

The news began innocuously enough, with media reports that head coach Mike McCarthy was on his way to Kiln to apparently sit on a tractor with Brett and talk with him about his future plans. McCarthy then debunked the report, stating that Ted Thompson has been in contact with him, but that he might meet up with him at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL.

Thus began the whirlwind.

Perhaps it came from a published comment by Ted Thompson that he was not going to pressure Favre into a decision right now, but suddenly, Brett Favre is now making the news. I spent the afternoon listening to Green Bay local talk radio discussing how it is wrong of Brett Favre to be demanding the Packer brass come kiss his boots and beg him to come back to the team.

Huh?

How did we get from point A (no talks, giving Favre time) to point H (Favre is holding the franchise hostage) in such a short amount of time? I searched high and low for quotes from Brett Favre or the Packer brass that suggest anything like this to be remotely true, and found nothing.

Apparently, it’s the waiting that has people burning, and Brett Favre has been a lightning rod for many years for criticism and blame, perhaps no year moreso than this past season, where he threw for career highs in passes attempted and interceptions. Mike Sherman and Tom Rossley have already been fired for the 2005 campaign’s 4-12 effort, and Jim Bates was apparently not desirable enough as a head coach, and likewise, he didn’t feel the position of defensive coordinator in Green Bay was desirable any longer, either.

Perhaps, the blood trail for a horrendous season is still working its way down the food chain, and Brett Favre’s retirement, forced or voluntary, is the next anticipated step in the New Direction.

Why the hostility towards Favre and this decision? Well, his hemming and hawing does grow old. Some critics have labeled his season-to-season period of personal reflection as a lack of commitment to the team. While it indeed is tiring, I would much rather have Brett Favre make a wise, thought-out decision than announce the day after the Seattle game that “Hey! All those fans cried ‘One More Year’, so gosh darn it, I’m givin’ it to them until they stop!!!â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Do We "really" need Brett's Decision Righ

WinnipegPackFan said:
Fallacy Number Two: Brett’s failure to decide is giving Ted Thompson less time to decide how he will approach free agency and the draft, according to some. Amusingly, the same folks who wholeheartedly support Thompson’s moves and direction and capability to build a winner, are the same folks who fear that a late decision by Brett Favre will suddenly throw all of Ted’s plans into the lurch, and cause a franchise-wide panic as the best-laid plans of McCarthys and men are rendered useless.

This is laughable. If Thompson, who is paid a pretty significant amount of money to make plans anticipating every possible speedbump, isn’t planning for either future, then he really shouldn’t be in the position he is in.

I disagree with this. Its nobodys fault. Its the fact that "time goes forward." The only time this will become a burden is when the Free Agency period opens up.

I say this because if Favre stays, nothing really changes.

If Favre retires, our bank gets a lot fatter, and we get more room to make moves and quality FA pickups.

This would become a problem if, we still dont know, and theres a quality(yet somewhat pricy) Safety. We probably couldnt get him, and make the other necessary moves. So we'll have to get the 3rd or 4th guy on that safety list(if any of them. More arturo freeman, anyone?)

But what if we did that, and then found out Favre is hanging it up. A lot of high quality Fa guys are gone.

It could really dampen the 2006\07 season.

I dont mind having favre back (for 2,3,4,5,6 years) and just working with his contract(so far so good, TT), but it would help the team (as well as favres stay with the team) if he made his decision before things got too busy on making this roster\staff better. I say staff, because a lot of guys will work here who normally wouldnt (Bates was one of them btw) This works along with FAs. Some guys will take a but of a paycut as long as they know #4 is on the team.

It is just better for the packers organization, favre himself, the coaches, the GM, and possible free agents if favre made his decision in a somewhat speedy manner. IM not saying next week or anything, or even next month. But another year of 'favre watch' continues.

(this is my opinion, if you dont like it...dont attack me..)

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Afreed Trom I think Favre should come out and say I am under contract until I say I am retiring so until I say that I am playing. Put it to bed and quickly avoid the distraction.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah I love Favre, but we should be talking about the draft and free agency now.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JbShell said:
Afreed Trom I think Favre should come out and say I am under contract until I say I am retiring so until I say that I am playing. Put it to bed and quickly avoid the distraction.

Ditto - I love the guy but intentionally or not he seems to have encouraged the retirement speculation the past few years by not making just such a statement. Granted he has earned the right to put football aside for a time at the end of the season.

But as we've seen the business of the Packers moves forward. Part of that is knowing which players intend to return the next season - as you prepare for the draft etc. That said, the draft is several months away and it has only been a little over 3 weeks since the last game of their season.

I also suspect we would all be quite surprised as how all this really goes down behind the scenes - not how it is speculated and written about in the media. I mean - what's with this reported phone tag? C'mon - you mean if the Packers needed/wanted to speak with him they can't reach him? I mean I just run the network for a law firm but my boss could pretty much track me down anytime, anyday in any number of ways! :D

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packer General manager Ted Thompson has been in contact with Brett Favre. According to an Article written by Dylan B Tomlinson entitled "Favre visit not in McCarthy's plan" which appeared in The Green Bay Press-Gazette Tuesday, January 14, 2006. McCarthy said-Quote-" Actually Ted (Thompson) has been in contact with Brett through out this, and I have been on a bit of whirlwind" and McCarthy also said:"I've been full blown on hiring the coaching staff." unquote----------------------------------------------

Brett favre will let the Packers know what his plans are for this coming season when he makes his decision, in time for the Packers to fully participate in NFL Free agency market and Packers make their plans for the '06 NFL draft. He is veteran Green Bay Packer and son of a career football coach. He is a loyal Green Bay Packer since 1992 and will act accordingly in his decison to retire or not retire.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

packerfan4ever said:
i think he will make it known soon i think before the draft for sure

I have heard by Feb 14th, but then again heard TT is not giving him a time line...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

now Im hearing not UNTIL feb 15th. So we wont even MAYBE get an answer until that time. Oh well...its not that far away!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
now Im hearing not UNTIL feb 15th. So we wont even MAYBE get an answer until that time. Oh well...its not that far away!

I hear that as well. It'll be nice once the decision gets made and we can focus on the draft and free agency...

Having said that, my opinion is that Favre will come back for at least one more season and probably even re-structure his contract to free up some $$$ to get those guards upgraded. Hopefully Favre doesn't have to run for his life next year from pressure right up the middle.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just hope its a press conference style return, OR retirement and im home to watch it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Somebody said hunting season goes on til Feb 15th....maybe that's why people are saying that date. As long as they are communicating....that's all I ask.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Trouble is, Sapp spoke the truth. It was legal, and not even flagged. It wasn’t Sherman’s place to confront Sapp, either…it should have been Clifton’s teammates who should have stood up to Sapp, each wearing a jersey the same color as their fallen teammate.

Sorry for beina little OT here, but this is something I found wrong with our team. This incident and the Moss one from a year or so ago. Both cases I think someone on the Packers team should have leveled Moss and Sapp.

Jus my opinion though.

Brett's coming back too. For two years and after the second year the Packers improved greatly which makes TT give MM a extension.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
Sorry for beina little OT here, but this is something I found wrong with our team. This incident and the Moss one from a year or so ago. Both cases I think someone on the Packers team should have leveled Moss and Sapp.

Oh , I SOOOOO Agree with this Z2C.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats one of the things MM was talking about, a leader on the team(or leaders, plural). Favre doesnt talk much(this being the exception) and does his thing on the field. Surehe butts heads with guys during games sometimes, but that moss and sapp thing...where was he(or any leader on the team) Someone needs to step up

im not bashing favre(relax favre66) and i know thats not his style, but someone better be that gritty leader(gado wont, hes too sweet and polite) ...maybe the hawk? or ahmad"i talk **** after a tackle" carroll...nah.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tromadz..

Being a Leader on offense is by willfully scoring points....

Being a Leader on defense is for retaliation for that kind of crap....

It really should come from the DC on down...(that's why I didn't like Slowick)...

Maybe someone could coax Jack Lambert out of retirement to give the defense an attitude readjustment!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
thats one of the things MM was talking about, a leader on the team(or leaders, plural). Favre doesnt talk much(this being the exception) and does his thing on the field. Surehe butts heads with guys during games sometimes, but that moss and sapp thing...where was he(or any leader on the team) Someone needs to step up

im not bashing favre(relax favre66) and i know thats not his style, but someone better be that gritty leader(gado wont, hes too sweet and polite) ...maybe the hawk? or ahmad"i talk **** after a tackle" carroll...nah.

lol aside from his speed thats a plus with carroll he's a get in ur face player

Brett has gotten in to players faces defending his teamates numerous times. Especially his OL and WR. Seems the years he's calmed down though. ie, he didnt say much about the Fergie decapitation, or clifton or moss fake moon.

We definetely gotta get a D player with a helluva mean streak to smack up anyone!! ala Jack Lambert style!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts