• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're heading into the last week of the season with the #1 seed locked up. That's good news of course, but it does leave us with the decision of whether to play our starters next week. My feeling is to play them for at least the first quarter, including Rodgers. I'm just too scarred by the memory of 2011 when the starters had effectively three weeks off and came out completely flat at home in the divisional round. And there have been three times in Rodgers' career where he had 3+weeks off, and he was clearly rusty each time he came back. His cumulative stats in those games are 77/130, 59.2 completion %, 872 yards, 7 TDs, 6 INTs, 78.1 passer rating.

But I recognize the risk we run in injuries and that Rodgers' toe could use some time to heal. I'll be interested to see what MLF decides to do.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to play the starters for at least a half. Not playing for three weeks is asking to come out flat and out of synch like 2011. Anybody who has been out a long time also needs to play the rust off and you don't want to wait for a playoff game to do that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers sits. With the bye I think it is less important to start the starters next week. That may seem contradictory but if the Packers were playing in the WC round even no way to improve their seeding I would say you prepare for the Lions game all week and start your starters and play them for a quarter just to keep the...I can't think of the right word, continuity, consistency, rhythm? As it is there will already be a two week layoff and despite the stats you posted I'm not sure a third week will be all that detrimental.

That said I think anyone who is healthy, or at least as healthy as anyone is at this point in the season practices and at least starts the game to keep that rhythm going. I'm not sure how much a loss to the Lions would damage their momentum but another drubbing of a divisional opponent going into the playoffs would really put them in on fire.

I'm not saying that our backups can't beat the Lions and it would be a good thing for Love to get another chance to get that KC game out of his mind a bit. It could be a big confidence builder.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to play the starters for at least a half. Not playing for three weeks is asking to come out flat and out of synch like 2011. Anybody who has been out a long time also needs to play the rust off and you don't want to wait for a playoff game to do that.
Same here. I'm leery of going into a playoff game off 3 weeks of no game action. I think MLF should talk it over with the players and see what they think. Sit it out? Go for a half? I'd like to see Love get a lot of action with a full playbook.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sit Rodgers. Play the rest of the starters, but reduce the snaps for key players. Adams, Jones, Clark, Gary and a few others. Play the OL the whole game to maintain continuity. I'd like to win this game and go into the bye on a positive note.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sit Rodgers. Play the rest of the starters, but reduce the snaps for key players. Adams, Jones, Clark, Gary and a few others. Play the OL the whole game to maintain continuity. I'd like to win this game and go into the bye on a positive note.
Yep this. Give Rodgers as much time to get the toe healthier. He might have enough time for surgery. Run the rest of the starters out there until early 3rd quarter. Similar to the 3rd preseason game as we remember it from the last decade.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotta play a lot of them. Maybe sit a few that are nicked. Hopefully we get a couple 3 guys back. Yeah we torched Minny but if we play like we did against the Ravens, Browns or first half today we’ll be walking through hell in a gasoline suit

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you play them at least a quarter to a half for all of them and then start sitting guys.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play the starters. There is a difference between being fit & match fit. hitting in practice isn't the same intensity as hitting in a game. If only for a quarter or even a half. Also if players are off they could catch covid as not under the tight control they would be under if still in green Bay. hope that makes sense

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yep this. Give Rodgers as much time to get the toe healthier. He might have enough time for surgery. Run the rest of the starters out there until early 3rd quarter. Similar to the 3rd preseason game as we remember it from the last decade.
Rodgers won't get surgery.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would sit Rodgers, Clark and Jones. Adams I'd play intermittently in the first half. Same with Campbell and Amos. The rest can play first and third quarters. I think they should mix in some of the backup O-Line and get them some live action with some of the starters.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers says he's going to play. We'll see if MLF thinks likewise.

“I’m going to play next week. I expect Davante to play, and our guys to play. We look forward to finishing off the season on a high note, and then getting the bye.”

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante said he wants to play.
Davante Adams needs 22 more yds. to get the GB Packers single season receptions yardage record... of course he wants to play. What are the Packers chances of hoisting the Lombardi if Adams blows a knee or shoulder in a meaningless game? Sit him so he's ready to roll in late January, IMHO.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see how starters playing in this meaningless game, gets them ready for a playoff game 2 weeks later. No matter what....they are going to have time off and whether it is 2 or 3 weeks between games, I don't see a big difference. Take the opportunity to give them the rest that they earned, as well as don't risk a foolish injury against a division rival that will probably be coming full speed.

Last night was not only a great omen of locking up the #1 seed, knocking the Vikings out of the playoffs but....I don't remember seeing any Packers going down with injuries, that seems like a first this year. Let's not tempt fate in Detroit.

I think it is more important on how they practice over the next 3 weeks. No boat trips to Miami or outings to Covid Cove.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Play Rodgers for 1 series, running plays only, and starters 1st qtr no more than 1st 1/2 Detroit will be playing like this is a must win game and they will come hard, so no need to take chances.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts